NYC Scanner on the fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

Being a NYC resident is being in RF heaven...so much to listen to. My BCD396XT has done a great job and I have it nicely organized for the many systems in the area. Being one who likes to have the latest developments in the scanning hobby, the BCD436HP is tempting but I'm wondering if it's really worth it? Just like many others, I'm disappointed in the lack of DMR decode and would love to have one little kernel of hope that this could be implemented in a future update. I also know that there will be a 700 MHZ Phase II system coming online as well as the NJ 700 MHZ which is already in use.

In other words, is it worth selling the 396 and getting the 436? Is the reception better on the 436?

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
Being a NYC resident is being in RF heaven...so much to listen to. My BCD396XT has done a great job and I have it nicely organized for the many systems in the area. Being one who likes to have the latest developments in the scanning hobby, the BCD436HP is tempting but I'm wondering if it's really worth it? Just like many others, I'm disappointed in the lack of DMR decode and would love to have one little kernel of hope that this could be implemented in a future update. I also know that there will be a 700 MHZ Phase II system coming online as well as the NJ 700 MHZ which is already in use.

In other words, is it worth selling the 396 and getting the 436? Is the reception better on the 436?

I would keep the 396 and if anyone you want to monitor is going phase 2 look into the new 536/436. You can always hold out hope that Whistler will release an updated PSR-800 but I do not see that coming this year.

You can also see if you can find a good used PSR-800 on Craigslist or around your area. This with the last update they made before closing up shop allows the scanner to receive phase 2 also. The cost difference right now between the PSR-800 and new scanners (436/536) is roughly $125-$150. So it is up to you on what you want and want to spend.

N8IAA

I also know that there will be a 700 MHZ Phase II system coming online as well as the NJ 700 MHZ which is already in use.

It would be better to see how the Phase II system builds out in your area. Some encrypt, others don't.

Don't sell the 396XT! There are posts in this forum talking about how slow it scans, and some are having other issues. Remember, people are paying $500 to do real world testing for Uniden. Hold off a few months so that Uniden gets the scanners optimized.

Patience is one virtue in radio communications to follow:) Not a Uniden basher. I own four, 125AT, 396XT, 15X, and a HP-1.

HTH,
Larry

whsbuss

I would keep the 396 and if anyone you want to monitor is going phase 2 look into the new 536/436. You can always hold out hope that Whistler will release an updated PSR-800 but I do not see that coming this year.

In the Whistler threads someone mentioned that they have 2 high-end (whatever that means) they are developing but no word if they are releasing them in 1Q14. Hope springs.....

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Ahhh, decisions decisions :D !

I'm not even as far ahead of the curve as you are. I don't even have a digital scanner to begin with! In any case, I would wait. Look at all the constant grief on the x36HP threads. Admittedly some of the issues are "cockpit error" but a lot of them look like real problems. Wait it out. You don't want to make a $600 mistake :eek: !

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Forgot to address this issue:

Is the reception better on the 436?

There are several posts indicating that it is not but the jury is still out on what the cause is. This does not appear to be "cockpit error" because the posters claim to have done good, solid A-B comparisons with the same antenna on both scanners (of course swapping them out to do the experiment).

Status
Not open for further replies.