NYC - State Police Manhatten

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
again today's events in the Bronx counted 10 troopers at the scene, the last few years more and more troopers are visible at these major jobs there k......

METRO25 has poor coverage if that's what there using for comms, is there another freq to monitor State Police in the confines of the 5 boro's

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
METRO25 has poor coverage if that's what there using for comms, is there another freq to monitor State Police in the confines of the 5 boro's

To answer your question, in the RRDB under the NYSPD page it only shows that Troop NYC operates on the Metro25 so I'm assuming that's it, and no other frequencies to monitor.

Why would you assume the coverage for the Metro 25 system is poor?

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I get metro 25 just fine from my APX and my scanner. The coverage is pretty good. I listened today to the incident from Greenpoint, Brooklyn on my APX and heard everything except when everyone moved to TAC G and TAC H. You'd have to be there to hear that.

ff026

Feed Provider
10,! did you say 10? 10 whole troopers for an active shooter incident at a major metropolitan hospital?
Big deal. It's more politics of a governor thumbing his nose at a mayor he doesn't like. Ignore the man behind the curtain in a few years it will all be over and things will be normal.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
It's more politics of a governor thumbing his nose at a mayor he doesn't like. Ignore the man behind the curtain in a few years it will all be over and things will be normal.

Please let's not get political here. I hate when people are taking about nothing to do with politics and someone says something political and the whole discussion become a political debate. Can we keep to what the OP is talking about.

Anyways When I'm in NYC I hear Metro 25 fine on my handheld. Should be no reason why it has poor coverage.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The SP portables (Harris Unity and Motorola APX) are capable of both VHF and 700/800 MHz operation.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
The SP portables (Harris Unity and Motorola APX) are capable of both VHF and 700/800 MHz operation.

I have seen a few with single band APX, and had a conversation with them because I was curious about interop with Troop L and the Thruway cops on UHF. Maybe some have multi-band, but not all.

coolrich55

They may have excellent coverage but as for me I can't receive them on my psr 500 or rs668. Very weak signal from everywhere in Manhattan and the other side of the Hudson I've been. I receive everything else at 100% signal. From the uhf trunk ,and 800 in NYC to all the systems in NJ.

Darkstar350

From what ive heard from people who actually have used the system - Metro 25 definitely has spotty coverage even within the city itself
You can literally be standing on one side of the street and have coverage then on the other side of the street its dead
However i think Metro 25 will eventually have more sites built
Myself being outside of the city i dont receive Met25 very well on most days but i can pick up the NYC "DoIT" system better but again Metro 25 may not be fully built out yet,,,

I also find that 800/900mhz in general does not perform very well within NYC whereas 450-470mhz seems to be optimal - could be something to do with cellular interference or the tall buildings...

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The state is in the process of adding 1 WTC to the system.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
whatever happened to the eventual lower hudson valley buildout on 700 MHz? I haven't seen any new sites up on the air yet? I believe the contract was signed two years ago.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The Lower Hudson Valley buildout on 700 MHz for...what, exactly? What agency are you talking about?

Darkstar350

I think CqDx may be referring to the proposed 700mhz system that would cover from the lower hudson as well as NYC which the MTA actually owns the licenses for
Im not sure if it was going to be strictly for buses or other general MTA ops such as maintenance,etc or to be used as somewhat of a interop system for the MTA and NYC itself but there was heated debate over whether it would be Tetra or P25 and i think the Tetra proposal is now nixed due to a legality...

Adding the WTC site would definitely help with coverage - wouldnt suprise me if they end up putting a site at the North Shore Towers as well which would help cover the more eastern parts of NYC...

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Yes that's what I meant, if you look into CAPRAD you will see MTA-PD has reserved few channels for various zones in the neighboring counties where MTA has commuter rail service, presumably for the eventual buildout of the METRO25 network.

TETRA for NYCT is progressing, Motorola cried foul on the bid claiming TETRA technology cannot be used but turns out they bid TETRA themselves, the protest was all but dismissed. You can find new FCC licenses submitted and approved. The radios are going to be capable of operating on 800 MHz TETRA and 700 MHz P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.