NYC SUBWAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Hi

was curious did anyone hear of any plans to upgrade the VHF radio system for the train operators/conductors

I know there is difficulty with RF dead spots for years any plans to install BDA amps to improve

there is the old vhf transit police that was narrow banded prior to them moving off to UHF

would be a good idea to take those repeaters

MTA took those old police frequencies there is at least 5 vacated repeaters

Maybe someone has new details

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
The old VHF GE base stations (for both NYPD and MTA) were vintage and headed off the junkyard long ago.
Current system is based on GTR8000 base radios

MStep

For the most part, all things considered, the current system has worked well in most instances. I know many motormen and conductors, along with signal maintainers and other folks, who use the communcations system. I think the old adage--- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", may well apply here.

Danny37

Are the receive pl not programmed into the MTA radios? Cause whenever I see a conductor the squelch on their radio opens and static breaks through.

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
The word was after narrow banding there was talk of lines having there own PL

the static is coming from the other lines with the low power repeaters. They adjusted the repeaters so they do not overtake one another

the improvements noted are Metropolitan TWR, Kings Hwy TWRon the N line along with Church ave on the F line is full power Transmit add in Euclid and Jays street on the A line

what radio are they using now

have not been on the system in years

I retired from the Transit Police years ago

when I was in the hole bendix King came in then after I left Icom but the F 70 model was discontinued

Danny37

The word was after narrow banding there was talk of lines having there own PL

the static is coming from the other lines with the low power repeaters. They adjusted the repeaters so they do not overtake one another

the improvements noted are Metropolitan TWR, Kings Hwy TWRon the N line along with Church ave on the F line is full power Transmit add in Euclid and Jays street on the A line

what radio are they using now

have not been on the system in years

I retired from the Transit Police years ago

when I was in the hole bendix King came in then after I left Icom but the F 70 model was discontinued

I don’t know the exact models they’re using but I see mostly icom radio and a few vertex radios

Analogrules

No, I don't think the NYC Subway conductor VHF frequencies will be going anywhere for a long time. In my opinion, analog is always more effective when operating underground, especially in tunnels. However, the MTA Police will most likely join NYPD and go digital encrypted in the not so far future, therefore conductors may still be given new radios that operate both on VHF and digital to communicate with MTA if needed. That would be my guess. (Also can the moderators please finally take me off probation on my posts? I have been behaving) :)

KC2zZe

The current RTO channel plan doesn't have police channels in it. I'm wondering what evidence you'd be basing your guess on that when the MTA Police goes "digital encrypted," would the conductors be given new radios to be able to talk to an agency that doesn't patrol the trains they operate and the tracks and stations that they utilize?

Status
Not open for further replies.