NYC VACS using GMRS frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

Depends.

GMRS grandfathered licenses are still very active.

Also, if all the users maintain a valid license, why not ? It's a volunteer service, almost like the Neighborhood Watch programs....

I was looking at a list of VACS in the n2nov site and have notice that some use GMRS frequencies. unknown if its simplex or repeater operation. But isn't this not allowed on GMRS?

NYC VOLUNTEER AMBULANCE GROUPS

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
A lot of the Vol Ambulance Corps in Queens used to rent a repeater from Motorola located on the Creedmore Hospital. When Motorola abandonded the repeater for their new 900 mhz systems in the early 90's they basically gave them the machine and the site space. So they did have licenses on GMRS, mainly 462.500 and .550 if memory serves me correctly. Yes they are grandfathered, until they let the license expire, when they would no longer be allowed under the new rules to operate on the GMRS frequencies. On Long Island you have a few School Bus companies still on them too.
I would also suspect that this list is way out of date, since I doubt that College Point, my old service is on 900 mhz. Motorola shut down their 900 mhz trunked system in 1999. Also Bay Community used to be on 462.9625, a splinter, and EMR NYC has a T band repeater.

hockeyshrink

...So they did have licenses on GMRS, mainly 462.500 and .550 if memory serves me correctly. Yes they are grandfathered, until they let the license expire, when they would no longer be allowed under the new rules to operate on the GMRS frequencies...

yep...there is at least one group still active on 550 in Queens

It may be legal, but I personally feel that these outfits using GMRS like it was an assigned public safety frequency for themselves goes squarely against what I understand is the intent of GMRS, namely personal communications with immediate family members. The cops and auxillaries, the ambulance guys, and the firefighters checking in, giving reports and assignments, and ragchewing on GMRS would just be comical if they were not using such high powered systems that obliterate the frequency. "Get off my frequency...you're going to JAIL.." LOL...bunch of whackers

Last edited:

scannerman5555

Silent Key
the 2-bus co's in suffolk county NY are gone now but still on uhf under Laidlaw {1st Student bus } now freq's were 462.600 - Suburbia Bus Corporation (Bohemia) Laidlaw
462.700 - Suburbia Bus Corporation (Middle Island ) laidlaw ............. this is from my old list I have !

auxscan

I dont think any of them are on repeater operation at this point, I scanned all day yesterday on the 550 frequency, and saw a PL of 114.8 i guess thats part of the LI gmrs group. but other than that nothing except some idoits with 3 battery radios.

ecps92

You are entitled to your opinion, but the letter of the LAW allows these [Pre-GMRS] Class-A CB users to continue, as long as they do not MODIFY their licenses.

General Mobile Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds more like you found a bunch of Fire Buffs using GMRS for one of it's legit purposes

yep...there is at least one group still active on 550 in Queens

It may be legal, but I personally feel that these outfits using GMRS like it was an assigned public safety frequency for themselves goes squarely against what I understand is the intent of GMRS, namely personal communications with immediate family members. The cops and auxillaries, the ambulance guys, and the firefighters checking in, giving reports and assignments, and ragchewing on GMRS would just be comical if they were not using such high powered systems that obliterate the frequency. "Get off my frequency...you're going to JAIL.." LOL...bunch of whackers

hockeyshrink

You are entitled to your opinion, but the letter of the LAW allows these [Pre-GMRS] Class-A CB users to continue, as long as they do not MODIFY their licenses.

General Mobile Radio Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds more like you found a bunch of Fire Buffs using GMRS for one of it's legit purposes

Thanks for reiterating my points, Bill.

Here's the link to the FCC site...the opening says nothing about ragchewing fire buffs, cops, or other whackers. Legal: may be. Intention: not in my opinion, as I said and you kindly repeated.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=service_home&id=general_mobile

Last edited:

hockeyshrink

I dont think any of them are on repeater operation at this point, I scanned all day yesterday on the 550 frequency, and saw a PL of 114.8 i guess thats part of the LI gmrs group. but other than that nothing except some idoits with 3 battery radios.

Its now 1443 Friday March 26, 2010.

A few minutes ago, "ROC-7" stated that they are transporting a patient from the "station" to St. Johns. They had responded to a fight call at a school.

I have no idea what PL they are using, I am monitoring CSQ on 550. I am in Westchester, and receiving them 59.

Edit: I guess that should be "ROCK 7" for Rockaway Point VAC

More: 1640 - ROCK 5 responding to an EDP call....these guys are pretty active this afternoon

Last edited:

ecps92

Don't think I reiterating any of your points. :roll:

Nothing wrong with a group of Licensed users chatting among each other. Seems you have a hair across something for them.

Thanks for reiterating my points, Bill.

Here's the link to the FCC site...the opening says nothing about ragchewing fire buffs, cops, or other whackers. Legal: may be. Intention: not in my opinion, as I said and you kindly repeated.

FCC: Wireless Services: General Mobile Radio Service: GMRS Home

hockeyshrink

Don't think I reiterating any of your points. :roll:

Nothing wrong with a group of Licensed users chatting among each other. Seems you have a hair across something for them.

I think you did, Bill.

In my post I acknowledge it "may be legal," and you come along and state that "the letter of the LAW allows.." yada-yada. I say upfront that "I personally feel..." and you graciously say "You are entitled to your opinion..."

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

I do not think it is right for these groups to use GMRS - a "Personal Radio Service," when there are frequencies available to them in the public service spectra where they belong.

It is also my opinion, if you will be so gracious to grant me my opinion once more oh exhaulted one, that "chit-chat" between stations is outside the intent of GMRS. Amateur radio, cb, and MURS are available for anyone to chit-chat and ragchew with anyone all they want to. The descriptions of the service from the Wiki you posted and the FCC's page both state that GMRS is "to facilitate the activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws (47 CFR 95.179)." That does not include a bunch of cops ragchewing about how sexy some woman in central booking is, or for VACs to dispatch buses to a suicide call...which I heard this afternoon on 550, complete with full address.

The cops at worst use GMRS to have conversations "off" the recorder. Cases have been publicized where agencies got wise to this and have removed private radios from cars and forbid GMRS use on duty.

Public safety traffic belongs on a public safety spectrum, ragchewing and chit-chat belongs on a hobby service, and GMRS is for licensees and their immediate family to coordinate their activities as needed.

Thats the way I see it.
Now you can roll your eyes some more.
:twisted:

Last edited:

ecps92

Fire Buffs are not a public safety agency and DO NOT qualify for those channels. Buffs are a group of Like-minded, interested individuals.

GMRS is a perfect place for them. MURS doesn't allow Repeater operation, so the area of coverage is limited vs a GMRS Repeater.

I think it's time for you to stop listening to them if it bothers you that much, as to what GMRS is used for.

And I know of NO Agencies [working in Public Safety myself] that have removed or banned GMRS from radios. The latest big news Dept wasn't even Amateur Radio being used, altho many stores insinuated they were.

Hmmm, Chit-Chat is usually what most GMRS users Do, to facilitate activities...

O well, off to REAL Scanning :evil:

I think you did, Bill.

In my post I acknowledge it "may be legal," and you come along and state that "the letter of the LAW allows.." yada-yada. I say upfront that "I personally feel..." and you graciously say "You are entitled to your opinion..."

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

I do not think it is right for these groups to use GMRS - a "Personal Radio Service," when there are frequencies available to them in the public service spectra where they belong.

It is also my opinion, if you will be so gracious to grant me my opinion once more oh exhaulted one, that "chit-chat" between stations is outside the intent of GMRS. Amateur radio, cb, and MURS are available for anyone to chit-chat and ragchew with anyone all they want to. The descriptions of the service from the Wiki you posted and the FCC's page both state that GMRS is "to facilitate the activities of an adult individual and his or her immediate family members, including a spouse, children, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, and in-laws (47 CFR 95.179)." That does not include a bunch of cops ragchewing about how sexy some woman in central booking is, or for VACs to dispatch buses to a suicide call...which I heard this afternoon on 550, complete with full address.

The cops at worst use GMRS to have conversations "off" the recorder. Cases have been publicized where agencies got wise to this and have removed private radios from cars and forbid GMRS use on duty.

Public safety traffic belongs on a public safety spectrum, ragchewing and chit-chat belongs on a hobby service, and GMRS is for licensees and their immediate family to coordinate their activities as needed.

Thats the way I see it.
Now you can roll your eyes some more.
:twisted:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
You are quoting the current GMRS rules and description. These grandfathered licenses are operating under the rules that existed when they were licensed, which stated they could do exactly what they are doing. Since they are grandfathered, the only opinion that matters is the FCC's, and they say they can do it.

hockeyshrink

...I think it's time for you to stop listening to them if it bothers you that much, as to what GMRS is used for...O well, off to REAL Scanning :evil:

Well, Bill, I don't listen to them, nor do I do any scanning. When I am on GMRS I use a great machine with fantastic coding where I don't have to listen to Bluecomm, the Omega system, Bruce, the auxillary cops, or any other whackers in NYC & LI. The only people I communicate with on GMRS are my family members, and when we need to communicate we can do so without interference from those machines.

I monitored 550 CSQ today because auxscan asked a question in the New York Radio Discussion Forum about something happening in Queens, NY and being in NEW YORK myself, I listened to see if I could help answer his question. By the way Citiwide, I can find no license information, either grandfathered or new for the Rockaway VAC, they have not offered any call sign all day, and that machine does not CWID.

Please help me understand this, Bill, then you can get back to your scanning:

How do "fire buffs," as a group of "Like-minded, interested individuals" use 2-way radios? I am not disputing anything regarding any licensed individual using GMRS like any other licensed individual using a PERSONAL Radio Service, but how do the fire buffs as a group use 2-way radios?

:confused:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Please help me understand this, Bill, then you can get back to your scanning:

How do "fire buffs," as a group of "Like-minded, interested individuals" use 2-way radios? I am not disputing anything regarding any licensed individual using GMRS like any other licensed individual using a PERSONAL Radio Service, but how do the fire buffs as a group use 2-way radios?

:confused:

Apparently you didn't read the rules completely then....if all of the members have their own GMRS license, it is completely legal for them to utilize GMRS as a group. In fact, if all employees of a company hold their own GMRS license, it is legal for them to conduct business related communications on GMRS.

auxscan

Its now 1443 Friday March 26, 2010.

A few minutes ago, "ROC-7" stated that they are transporting a patient from the "station" to St. Johns. They had responded to a fight call at a school.

I have no idea what PL they are using, I am monitoring CSQ on 550. I am in Westchester, and receiving them 59.

Edit: I guess that should be "ROCK 7" for Rockaway Point VAC

More: 1640 - ROCK 5 responding to an EDP call....these guys are pretty active this afternoon

Is this on a repeater operation or simplex cause I havent heard a thing. Im located in Northern Brooklyn with a Base scanner with an outdoor antenna. Im also using my vertex to monitur GMRS when on the road. Can you give some info, like what specific time of the day are they on and some pl/dpl info?

hockeyshrink

Apparently you didn't read the rules completely then....if all of the members have their own GMRS license, it is completely legal for them to utilize GMRS as a group. In fact, if all employees of a company hold their own GMRS license, it is legal for them to conduct business related communications on GMRS.

Apparently you didn't read my question completely...I am not questioning the legality of it, I am asking what the "business" of a group of "fire buffs" is?

Do they sit around listening to the scanner and use GMRS to dispatch each other to fire scenes to take pictures and collect body parts?

Do they sit around and hold round-robin debates on GMRS about the virtues of 5" supply line, the number of uses of hard back spanner wrench, or whether a house burns up or burns down?

Do they use GMRS radios during the firefighter conventions to communicate times in the bunker gear dressing contest?

What is the "business" of "fire buffs" on GMRS 2-way radios?

hockeyshrink

Is this on a repeater operation or simplex cause I havent heard a thing. Im located in Northern Brooklyn with a Base scanner with an outdoor antenna. Im also using my vertex to monitur GMRS when on the road. Can you give some info, like what specific time of the day are they on and some pl/dpl info?

They are on a pretty powerful repeater. You should have no problem hearing them in Brooklyn. It's Rockaway (or Rock) VAC out of Far Rockaway.

I have no idea what PL they are using...set your radio to 462.550 CSQ (no PL). This group is using call signs like "ROCK 7" and "ROCK 5" for the buses, and "unit 700," "unit 705," and "headquarters" for the sergeants and HQ.

Sounds like Bayside VAC is also using this freq, but their system is not as powerful and the repeater is CWIDing.

I'm taking Bill's advice and going back to my home freq, but I hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.