NYCOMCO EDACS rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

None of the older threads seemed suitable to reopen for this.

According to my data, Site 6 (Mount Hope - Graham Mtn) and Site 7 (Harriman - Arden House) have yet to be rebanded. Does anyone have information on when this is supposed to take place?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Dave,

NYCOMCO is still in the process of updating all the mobiles from the MDX to the M7100 first due to the NEXTEL agreement. Then they are going to reband Graham and Arden. Then they are linking Beacon, Arden and Graham as part of the interop agreement with Orange County. Certain talkgroups (Sheriff, 911 Polling, Intersyste,, etc.) will be broadcasted off all three sites.

I was told this was going to happen months ago as well, but nothing has changed other than the switch to the M7100's.

They are suppossedly linking the sites through the OC microwave backbone up on Schunnemunk, but their being hush-hush about it. According to one of their salesmen, he said if an agency (other than the county) wants their talkgroup off multiple sites, they will have to request it and obviously pay for it, which I find strange since they are using the county's microwave to do it. I asked if radios were going to affiliate between sites, if the end user had to manually select sites, if the sites were going to be voted and simulcasted and he looked at me like I had two heads. Salesmen aren't technicians, so he couldn't answer alot of questions.

But as far as the reband...still status quo.

ff026

Feed Provider
somehow the words "NYCOMCO" "Voting" "Simulcast" and Roaming" just do not seem to go together in the same sentence!

sc800

e911:

Who is getting the new mobiles? OCSO is still using the same old ones

...and check your PM's.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
somehow the words "NYCOMCO" "Voting" "Simulcast" and Roaming" just do not seem to go together in the same sentence!

Don't even get me started. They are pushing Mototrbo and Nexedge for public safety. I asked them if they knew what P25 and the word interoperable meant.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
e911:Who is getting the new mobiles? OCSO is still using the same old ones

e911god said:
NYCOMCO is still in the process of updating all the mobiles from the MDX to the M7100 first due to the NEXTEL agreement...

As I previously stated...not all have been updated as of yet...OCSO being one of them.

ff026

Feed Provider
Don't even get me started. They are pushing Mototrbo and Nexedge for public safety. I asked them if they knew what P25 and the word interoperable meant.

HAHA pretty funny, i like how they try to push to competing technologies on people.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
E911God,

Are you sure they are going off the Orange County microwave for linking those sites, last that I knew, NYTheifco was linking all their sites via their own microwave links.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Your guess is as good as mine. I haven't attended a meeting in a while regarding the interop agreement with the county, so I've been out of the loop for a couple of months. But I will find out for sure.

I wasen't aware that NYCOMCO had their own microwave system up. If they do, that's news to me. But the original plan was to use the County's backbone.

Last edited by a moderator:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Its not up and running yet, they are in the process of installing them at the sites, I know on Walker they already have the dish's up.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
That might be a separate project. The Sam's Point EDACS site is not going to be linked to the others. As far as the interop agreement goes, Beacon, Arden and Graham EDACS are the three sites that are going to be linked.

They may be using that for their UHF LTR system. I was told they were possibly switching that system from analog over to Nexedge digital and linking those sites.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
From what I understand from what the Tech was telling me that they are going to be linking all the sites on edacs, I guess I'll wait and see what happens when it is all finished

FIRECOM31

Premium Subscriber
NYCOMCO Edacs & rebanding

It's a wait and see what there going to do approach. The End results , who's paying for the change and will all the end user have to purchase all new radio's to be able to use there system and just how much will get change over to the Motortrobo system from the current Edacs system. and last but not lease what will the cost per radio per month charges be . I think there UHF LTR system is working better then the Edacs system currently. Thanks Have a Healthy and Happy Holiday Season

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Lease paperwork for my agency on NYCOMCOs EDACS system is $55 a month per mobile radio for one site. Lease term is for 5 years.

Now, think about how many PD's, Sheriff's units, etc. are driving around with 800 radios and you do the math. Go to www.ecscanning.com and click on the Radio LID list I created...see for yourself. They all have VHF radios with access to 4 sites providing better countywide coverage on MRD. Not to mention 3 sites on the polling channel. What about the State Police who primarily use VHF, but have 800 radios to answer polls...polls that they could answer on the VHF polliing channel. What about two square mile Village PD's that could use a simplex channel and have better coverage..or put up a repeater on their village hall and have full quieting all over their little kingdoms. What about fire coordinators getting 800 radios to talk to 36 Control, when they can talk on low band with better coverage. Oh, they want a private channel of their own....how about 45.78 just for them? I could go on and on with examples of taxpayer money being wasted. I could go on and on how their is no failsoft for their system. Last time Beacon went out, a certain PD was borrowing portables from the ambulance corps. I remember being on the scene of an accident with my volly EMS agency and the PD unit was trying to call in an plate from an accident. Portable first..."10-9, unable to copy." Then he went to his mobile..."still unreadible." They he walked over to me and said, "Is your portable working?"....I gave him a portable from the rig to use...luckily he wasen't fighting with someone on the ground trying to call for help. In building coverage...good luck. It's amazing what a well designed repeater system can do...I can hit our repeater with one watt and a wet noodle for an antenna. How about a certain fire department using 800 radios for interior fireground ops....I can go on and on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.