NYCOMCO (Ulster, Dutchess, Orange Public Safety) System

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich12524

Highland Frequencies

Hi,
To answer your question regarding the Highland frequencies, yes they are correct, I have these in my PRO-92 and 97, they are always busy. I don't know a thing about your radio but it is very important that the signal type (EDACS) be set before entering the frequencies with the PRO series radios. Is your bank set to open or closed? With an open bank you should be picking a ton of traffic from Royal carting at the least, these guys are at it all day long, a couple of these guys are great to listen to!!! I've only been scanning for about 9 months now and wish I had found it sooner, anyway, I'm still learning something new everyday. Let us know how you make out.

rich12524

D

DaveNF2G

You should also be aware that "Site 8" in the database is bogus. Somebody keeps going around and submitting that false info periodically. I get it at the NF2G Scannist Pages as well. There is no Site 8 and the frequencies belong on the other sites where they are also listed.

burtondogs

I keep pressing buttons, now Im getting some chatter.

Can I just keep entering the freqencies in order , or do I need to leave blank spaces where it reads N/A?

What other ones should I try and program? (around Poughkeepsie / Pleasant Valley area)

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
You must enter each site in the correct order. If the LCN is blank, you must include it in order to trunk the system correctly. Site 8, as Dave previously posted, does not exist.

In the Poughkeepsie area, you should be able to hear the Illinois Tower and Beacon Tower, Illinois being the strongest. You may also be able to pick up Kingston and Arden, depending on your antenna. Arden has a clear shot up that way. I can pick it up in parts of Morris County, NJ at times.

rich12524

Poughkeepsie area

Hi Jim,
I'm in Fishkill, I get the most action with Beacon and Highland, 1 and 2 respectively, occasional chatter with Kingston, no trouble picking up all of Poughkeepsie, Newburgh, etc., just about all of Dutchess, Orange and Ulster counties, as far as my antenna all I have is the optional R.S. trunking model, I can't have anything fancy / external where I live.

Thanks for the info about Site 8 (Warwick) "e911God" and Dave, I thought I was unable to pick up because of my radios, as you state it's listed in many places and I had no idea it was bogus.

Rich

Genoman

Does anyone know how to program these frequencies into a Bearcat 246T??? I try to enter the "blank" frequencies and I get an "out of band" error and I cannot continue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Gene (way down here in New Jersey)

Last edited:

SCANdal

Silent Key
Gene,

I gotta ask...what frequency are you trying to program in that causes you to get an "out of band" message? And what frequency is already in those scanner channels?

SCANdal

Genoman

SCANdal said:
Gene,

I gotta ask...what frequency are you trying to program in that causes you to get an "out of band" message? And what frequency is already in those scanner channels?

SCANdal

I'm trying to program the Harriman site since that is most likely the one that I will be able to pick up here in Union County. LCNs 1 & 2 are listed N/A and I don't know what to put into the 246T to get it to accept it. I tried entereing 0's and it won't take them.

Maybe I'm just S.O.L. on these types of sites. :)

D

DaveNF2G

Leave them blank, which means whatever the factory default frequency is for an unused channel.

Genoman

DaveNF2G said:
Leave them blank, which means whatever the factory default frequency is for an unused channel.

I have to enter SOMETHING. It won't let me leave anything 'blank'.

Is this something unique to the 246???

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
No, you don't have to enter anything when an LCN is not used. The example below using UASD shows how to program the NYCOMCO Kingston system.

Last edited:

Genoman

pro92b said:
No, you don't have to enter anything when an LCN is not used. The example below using UASD shows how to program the NYCOMCO Kingston system.

Ah! I have the Butel software and I will give that a try!!! Thanks!!!

Genoman

pro92b said:

Tried that using the ARC software. Basically, I left those LCNs blank that needed to be blank and the scanner doesn't 'see' those channels. For instance, for the Harriman site, LCNs 1 & 2 are 'blank' so the scanner starts at LCN 3 even though I 'programmed' 1 & 2 with nothing.

Do I make ANY sense??? :)

Gene

P.S. I should say that I am programing these in EDACS "wide".

Last edited:

Genoman

A quick update......

I took a ride to the Brotherhood Winery in Washingtonville and took my scanner along.

I was able to pick up some traffic on the Harriman station so evidently it's entered correctly. I thank you all for your help. It is appreciated greatly!

Just for the record, I was able to get the Orange County Sheriff dispatch on talkgroup 04-021 and the Woodbury Police on talkgroup 04-111.

I doubt that I can get it here in Union, New Jersey but I may switch to a different antenna down the line so I will leave it programmed.

I am able to just barely get the Rockland County Sherriff's dispatch on 154.7250 on the conventional side so you never know what might work it's way down here. :)

Gene

SCANdal

Silent Key
Gene,

The Rockland County Sheriff's Department isn't dispatched on 154.725. They are dispatched on 155.520R (151.4). 154.725R (151.4), "County" is used for data checks and alerts.

SCANdal

Genoman

SCANdal said:
Gene,

The Rockland County Sheriff's Department isn't dispatched on 154.725. They are dispatched on 155.520R (151.4). 154.725R (151.4), "County" is used for data checks and alerts.

SCANdal

Thank you, sir!!! That explains the number of plates being run on that channel.
It must be on a very good, very high repeater if I can get them down here on 154.7250 (151.4)!!! Yeah, it's scratchy but I can still hear them well enough to make out what they are saying.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
It's up on Jackie Jones....highest site in Rockland County. I get it 5x5 in Morris County on my Astro mobile using a Maxrad Cellular look-a-like on a trunk lip mount (Same frequency as SPEN 3, just take the PL off). Pretty good in Essex too. Also, I sometimes get the Arden tower EDACS system here with my 396 portable and a RS 800 antenna...depends on my elevation.

You're not going to hear much action over Arden. Woodbury and Harriman PD's are basically the only one's using it full-time. Every so often you'll hear the SO depending on where a unit is in the county, sometimes NYSP on the polling or 800 Police channel talking to Central, and Chester Village PD uing it when the Ellenville site doesn't come in so well, but they use 800 as a tac only.

Monroe PD dumped it a long time ago although they still have 800 radios in the cars and dispatch to montor Woodbury and for mutual aid on the MW GROUP channel. Blooming Grove also dumped it and went to a VHF repeater. Chester Town PD and Woodbury Fire demo'd it and said, "no thanks."

One of the main problems with the NYCOMCO system is the lack of linked towers. If they had that, alot more agencies might have switched over or stayed. Blooming Grove, for example, needs several different towers to cover their town, primarily Beacon, Arden and Ellenville. Problem is the town is divided into three patrol zones..one unit in the area Beacon covers, one the area Arden covers and one in the area Ellenville covers. But since they are not linked, none of the units were able to hear each other.

When I as involved in 911 for the county, I tried several times unsuccessfully to get them (BG) to put a repeater up on Schunnemunk. It would have covered their town perfectly. They finally put one up in the Mountain Lodge area, I think atually on the Firehouse years later, although I had nothing to do with it. Not the best for coverage on the Monroe side vs. on one of the towers on the mountan, but works well enough for them, including portable coverage. Oh well, one can only try.

Someday the county will realize that alot of towns would have better coverage if they moved their repeaters up there. And maybe NYCOMCO will learn that they could sell more users on a linked system.

As far as 800 in the Orange County area for action, try the Beacon site if you can get them. City of Newburgh, Town of Newburgh, Town of New Windsor, Town and Village of Cornwall, Town and Village of Montgomery and the Villages of Maybrook and Walden are heavy users to name a few.

Last edited by a moderator:

Genoman

e911god said:
As far as 800 in the Orange County area for action, try the Beacon site if you can get them. City of Newburgh, Town of Newburgh, Town of New Windsor, Town and Village of Cornwall, Town and Village of Montgomery and the Villages of Maybrook and Walden are heavy users to name a few.

Thanks for the tip!! As of right now the only scanner that I have it the 246T with whatever antenna came with it. I bought an 800mHz antenna to put on it but rarely use it.

I'll try putting in the Beacon tower and see if I get anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.