NYE Peak overall listeners

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Well were currently 1.5 hours away from the east time zone New Years and RR is sitting at about 35,700 overall listeners. I'm betting it tops 40,000 by nights end. RR Website is starting to drag along but kind of expected with the surge of visitors.

I think last year the peak listeners was around 25,000 if I remember right.

Jason

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Far surpassed my expectations, overall RR listener total hit pretty close to 46,000 a bit ago, its down to 45,000 now. Chicago PD took the overall #1 as usual so far with roughly 1,350 listeners at midnight. I believe this is about 20,000 more visitors than last year NYE. Site seems to be running quite a bit faster now.

Jason

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
At record peak 12:30 AM CST we hit 47,215 listeners.

Yes, we were slow, but most importantly we stayed up and running. At one point we were serving (and throttling to) 7000/reqs a sec on our Web servers which is a serious amount of traffic.

We did scale up our Web servers to 7 instances, with 4 database servers, and heavy caching (memcache, etc) - but they reality is when you all the sudden see a huge increase in traffic, unless you are designed to scale like a top-100 site you are going to be facing a few challenges.

In any case, hope you guys enjoyed the feeds last night!

We certainly enjoyed the traffic and the additional lessons learned on listener behavior and traffic stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.