NYPD and Camden in Atlantic City

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

I'm going to be on a trip to AC in a few days. I have already programmed by BR330T with a Diamond RH77CA with all that I care to program in for Atlantic City and NJSP around AC.

I was wondering if you could possibly hear NYPD in AC. I know Google Maps says 126 miles away, but I've been in fairly far away places in NJ before and picked up NYPD and have heard stories of other people doing the same.

Also, would there be any problem really hearing Camden, NJ from AC? Camden County seems to neighbor Atlantic County.

PM08203

Premium Subscriber
I have picked up both NYPD & FDNY on a rubber ducky depending on conditions. I have never got Camden City. Some rare times Camden County Fire.

W2SJW

Database Admin
That would be no to both. You could hear Camden's emergency service dispatches on VHF from there, but not the Camden City 800 MHz. TRS.

Same goes for the UHF NYPD frequencies. They're strong, but not that strong!

scannersnstuff

i did get all of fdny's vhf frequencies a few year's ago from the wildwood area on a commercial ht.

wnjl

I had the NYPD SOD frequency (470.8375) in pretty decent walking around the Ocean City boardwalk (that's 10 miles SOUTH of Atlantic City) a few weeks ago with just an HT and rubber-duck. It really depends on the band conditions and whether there's any tropospheric enhancement, but if there is any around you definitely might be able to get some of the NYPD UHF stuff. Best time would be usually in the evening through the early morning hours. NYFD is possible too as others have said. Camden City's trunk system would definitely be real tough. Not impossible if conditions were up enough, but I wouldn't count on it.

cassidy1190

Im in south monmouth county and all nyc freqs come in clear, to the point where it steps on my own frequencies (wall twp fire dispatch is the same as queens ny fire dispatch)

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
As stated in some of the other replies, reception of NYPD and NYFD is totally dependent on propagation conditions. I spend a week year in Cape May and have heard NYPD on numerous occasions, usually in the evening and at night. The Beach Patrol here uses 453.55, and my first year here I began hearing the Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority from NYC on that frequency on my handheld. I have picked up NJSP Troop C, UHF from Bergen and Essex County, and VHF from Rockland County. One of the first indications of good long range reception conditions is reception of distant NOAA weather transmitters, whose locations are easily identified. So yes, you may be able to receive NYPD from Atlantic City, but only when conditions allow.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Ditto all above. Program in NYPD and NYFD anyway, but due to different tropospheric conditions do not expect to hear them during the day unless there is thick fog in the area or a thunderstorm nearby. In the evening after sundown, and in the morning up to about 10 AM would be the best times to try especially if the wind is low. Remember the higher up you are the better. Being near the water will help you out, though, because that is a good conductor of electricity, and therefore a good carrier of radio waves. Also, why dont you try Cape May Co. PD and fire freqs and Ocean County? You might even be able to get Burlington County. In Camden County, you may get the EMS (E-7) freq and the dispatcher side of the fire freqs and County PD dispatch zone 4 when tropospheric conditions permit. Anyway, have a good time down there and good listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.