nypd aviation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2zZe

That depends.

If they aren't on an assignment they'll be monitoring SOD (Special Operations Division) or SOD-SI, their home channel. If they are on an assignment, in addition to monitoring SOD, they'll switch over to, typically, the appropriate radio zone to speak to/monitor the officers they've been assigned to support, if working with other NYCPD assets. If assigned to support an outside agency (e.g.: FDNY, DCNY, MTA, etc.), they'll switch over to that agency's appropriate channel.

If they need to talk to each other, or their base, they'll use the "Company" channel. And, of course, while all of this is going on, they'll be in touch with the appropriate air traffic controllers/air band channels.

All the frequencies you are seeking are listed in the RR database.

Last edited:

ff026

Feed Provider
The SOD SI channel is gone. SOD is now a fully simulcast frequency.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
NYPD Aviation can come up on any NYPD channel, with access to other departments as well. Most frequently Aviation monitors NYPD SOD. The unit's "internal" channel , or Company Channel, is 123.100.

ff026

Feed Provider
Aviations “division” is SOD. They get dispatched on SOD then switch to the division frequency they will be working in. The company channel can be very active. TARU also has an AM aviation radio in their trucks to talk to aviation on from time to time.

Danny37

Aviations “division” is SOD. They get dispatched on SOD then switch to the division frequency they will be working in. The company channel can be very active. TARU also has an AM aviation radio in their trucks to talk to aviation on from time to time.

For fire recon, do they have access to FDNY frequencies or is the liaison onboard the only one onboard with access.

ff026

Feed Provider
For fire recon, do they have access to FDNY frequencies or is the liaison onboard the only one onboard with access.
Both. They pick up a battalion chief I believe and they can talk on FDNY frequencies.

They have a Wolfsburg radio beside other comm gear.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Quick question how come I don't here NYPD Aviation Unit
on my police scanner?
Well, a lot more information is needed for that question.

What type scanner?
What type antenna?
Where are you located?
Do you know if the Aviation unit is actually talking?
If yes to the above question, how?
Are you talking about the FM NYPD frequencies or the AM aviation frequencies?
Do you have the scaner set for the correct mode (AM) if you are referring to the aviation frequencies?
Is your scanner capable of receiving AM?

There are a lot of variables to your question and they really can't be answered without this information.

kmilcar76

I have a pro 651 aslo Im the ruber duck antenna
and I am Iocated in Uniondale NY and NO the Aviation Unit is knot talking.
but on I have my pro 651 scanner on correct am mode.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
OK, that's a start. The scanner is capable, it is in the correct mode for the aviation frequencies.

With your location, the NYPD frequencies shouldn't be an issue, however the aviation frequencies could be, depending on the transmit power of the radio in the helicopter, their physical location over the city, their altitude and and barriers (buildings) between you and them.

If you don't know that they are talking, there is no way to determine whether or not you are hearing them. Have you let the radio sit on 123.1 for any period of time (just that channel, no scanning) to see if you hear them? Do you monitor from just one location, or have you tried the radio in different places-both in and out of your house? I ask this because it might be beneficial to put up an external antenna, but you need to know the radio is receiving the signal. How does the radio do if you scan the aviation band?

There are a lot of questions that need to be answered to determine the best course of action. Patience is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.