NYPD City Wide Channels

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, East Hanover NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
According to a member of the NY Press Photographers Association, The Legal Aid Society of NY and various NY News Stations have come to an agreement with the Mayor of NY, and The NYPD, and a promise has been made that certain CityWide Frequencies will remain unencrypted. Further info to come....

Reference On X:

@dean_moses

@legalaidnyc

@ToddMaisel

Last edited:

richee2000

Great, they can listen to all the EDP calls on SOD....
The Special Operations Division of the NYPD includes the emergency service unit, aviation unit, harbor unit, mounted unit, strategic response group, canine team, hazmat weapons of mass destruction unit, bomb squad, and the radio frequency of the SOD dispatches all of the major citywide jobs of importance. This is fantastic news for New York City media and press along with New York City citizens.

Nice try

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
The Special Operations Division of the NYPD includes the emergency service unit, aviation unit, harbor unit, mounted unit, strategic response group, canine team, hazmat weapons of mass destruction unit, bomb squad, and the radio frequency of the SOD dispatches all of the major citywide jobs of importance. This is fantastic news for New York City media and press along with New York City citizens.

Nice try
Is SOD one of the CW's on the list of exemption or is it just a possibility.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
please dont tell me that i have to have the same channels repeated for different groups and scan channels??

please dont tell me that i have to have the same channels repeated for different groups and scan channels??

Nice try

And all that "important" stuff is totally overshadowed by the constant, non-ending, EDP runs at all hours of the day.

The idea to transmit all those EDP runs goes back to when Ben Ward was commissioner, who ignorantly believed that if the dispatcher just announced them based on the initial 911 calls (without waiting for the EDP to be confirmed by an assigned precinct unit) the ESU units would immediately step-up and respond to them, never thinking that, even then, the EDP runs would overwhelm the system. Not only the radio, but the 911 system, too.

Listening to SOD has become useless and unlistenable, with many now listening to CW 1/"Command Channel A". At some point, you'll get just about every heavy job that goes out, with the SRG units being dispatched to them, without the headaches of the redundant, constant, "54, EDP..." heard in the majority of the sentences.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Media reports indicate NYPD will leave City wide 1 Citywide 2, and Citywide 3 in the clear.
Deputy Commissioner Weiner: So I think the bad guys using police as part of the equation, it's not the whole story. But our commissioner, our chief of information technology have been very thoughtful in how they are rolling out encryption gradually. And one thing to keep clear is that the citywide stations are going to remain unencrypted. So a lot of the major jobs, the ones you're talking about, are going to be unaffected by this rollout to encrypted channels.

So the question which still remains: all of the CW stations? Even CW4 :p

richee2000

Deputy Commissioner Weiner: So I think the bad guys using police as part of the equation, it's not the whole story. But our commissioner, our chief of information technology have been very thoughtful in how they are rolling out encryption gradually. And one thing to keep clear is that the citywide stations are going to remain unencrypted. So a lot of the major jobs, the ones you're talking about, are going to be unaffected by this rollout to encrypted channels.

So the question which still remains: all of the CW stations? Even CW4 :p
Negative. Citywide 4 remains encrypted, It is a command and control channel. Other citywide channels will also remain encrypted involving internal affairs, detectives, organized crime, narcotics, etc

Danny37

Reading the article it only appears to apply to CW1/2/3 not SOD or HWY. There's a possibility that those will be encrypted. I wonder if they'll move the analog frequencies to P25 clear or just keep them as is.

Last edited:

richee2000