Everything NYPD encryption.

ansky

only reason NYPD is going encrypted is because of the high crime and they wanna attract tourists by covering up the crime, THE NYPD SAID IN 2020 THAT THEY DON'T NEED TRUNKING OR WANT DIGITAL RADIOS, NOW THEY CHANGING THEIR MINDS DUE TO HIGH CRIME

Encrypting radios is not going to cover up crime. This isn't the 1980's anymore. Every person on the street has a camera right in their pocket and the second anything happens it will be all over social media.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Miami-Dade is spending $165 million to deploy APX NEXT for MDFR and MDPD, so yeah, I could see half a billion to put APX NEXTs on every NYPD officers' belt. AES multikey added around $400 to the ones we bought.

The one area where NEXT is attractive is it reduces the number of BDA/DAS for public safety. ERCES are a headache for us and often cause more problems than they solve, and are being pushed into large cities by unqualified "Chuck with a Truck TEKNISHUN" low voltage contractors to meet the newly adopted IFC510 requirements AHJs often have.

Verizon and AT&T do a better job in many urban areas with in building systems than Bo the Electrical Contractor and aren't our headache to manage. NEXT with SmartConnect is seamless to the end user to roam between LMR and LTE.

CurtisPayne145

Premium Subscriber
Encrypting radios is not going to cover up crime. This isn't the 1980's anymore. Every person on the street has a camera right in their pocket and the second anything happens it will be all over social media.
Then if everyone has a camera and records everything then how come nobody steps up and says they got proof of said crime and try to help catch those responsible? I'll tell you why: because nobody cares until it's an issue that they can use to divide this country further than what it is

APX7500X2

APX NEXT radios at $8,000 a pop. If P25 is what they want, all they really needed was an APX6000. NYPD doesn’t even utilize VHF or 7/800 in their radios. Complete overkill
All radios in NYC are going to be multi band, FDNY, PAPD & MTA are already there, Its all for interop and while we have only had the harris 200s for a few years there have been many a time I have switched between trunk systems and UHF/VHF channels for things, we used to carry 2 radios on the boats for us and marine channels but now we only need one
Im not a fan of the APX next but I have read some stories where the RF wasnt getting the system and the next moved over to whatever 5g system it was on and comms were back on.
And also where the PD & FD used the trunk system but they moved PW & other things onto the cell system insted of tying up RF channels.
So it might be usefull....Ill have to watch how they work

JethrowJohnson

After reading that very very lengthy news article whining about the E word, it seems to me that the NYPD is in the process of switching to a P25 system with the option to encrypt when necessary, not fulltime encryption. This would be a good thing, since there are criminals who use scanners to avoid capture, although I guess they wouldn't care much these days since they know they'll be released to victimize more innocent people before the arresting officer(s) even finish his/her report. Do I think the public has a right to hear police comms? Well - yes and no - there are exceptions. I think it's beneficial sometimes for the public to know if someone tried to open their car door in front of their house, or if some kid is running from the police in your neighborhood after threatening his dad with a knife - both of which I've had happen, and when I saw that kid after the officers were unable to find him, I called them and they found him at the school just up the street. So, yes, I think open radio transmissions can be a good thing, but that's not always true. Al Sharpton said that people need to know what officers are doing, but if someone doesn't know in the slightest, anything about how the police operate, then simply listening to their radio traffic all day won't really tell you what they're doing. And he's always one of the first ones to complain and criticize how the police do their job, but he wouldn't have the guts to go on a ride-along much less do the job himself. If he tried to do that job the way he wants them to, he would end up getting himself killed within a year or so if not less. Even if the NYPD will use full encryption all the time, then I don't blame them considering all the riots and negative attitude and highest record of officers shot or shot at this year. When you have a city or a county full of people who criticize without having any of the facts, or respond to the scene of an accident or a shooting and put themselves in a dangerous situation or take pictures of the scene and put them on Facebook, and in a place like New York where the concern of being ambushed by some idiot just because of their hate for anyone willing to risk their life for people they don't even know is valid and legitimate, then a place like that does not have a right to eavesdrop on their radio traffic, because all they're gonna do is abuse that ability. My reasoning behind this is that people have a right to be safe without being afraid that a crime might happen to them or a loved one or friend, neighbor, etc. and if people can help make their neighborhoods safer by letting police know when they see someone they were looking for, then let them hear it, but if that will only do the opposite, then don't. It's as simple as that.

APX7500X2

Nope, They are confirmed to be going 100% all the time encryption as they upgrade channels
Our department was notified 3 years ago when our new system was being built to make sure we get AES in our new radios as the NYPD channels would need it
Our radio shop and NYPDs works close together and they have been told many times its going to be AES all the time with OTAR
There was talk about streaming with a 60 min delay, so I hope that is still on the table.
No one whos not assigned a radio on the system has the need to listen live, just the want to listen

Hbright

Nope, They are confirmed to be going 100% all the time encryption as they upgrade channels
Our department was notified 3 years ago when our new system was being built to make sure we get AES in our new radios as the NYPD channels would need it
Our radio shop and NYPDs works close together and they have been told many times its going to be AES all the time with OTAR
There was talk about streaming with a 60 min delay, so I hope that is still on the table.
No one whos not assigned a radio on the system has the need to listen live, just the want to listen
Are they getting a trunked P-25 system or are they just converting their analog freqs to P-25? I think I’m referring to conventional vs. trunked P-25.

Last edited:

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
Are they getting a trunked P-25 system or are they just converting their analog freqs to P-25? I think I’m referring to conventional vs. trunked P-25.

They will be using the same frequencies but using p25 encryption. (They will possibly add some new additional frequencies). This will not be any kind of trunking system.

JethrowJohnson

They will be using the same frequencies but using p25 encryption. (They will possibly add some new additional frequencies). This will not be any kind of trunking system.
A trunked system would probably be a better idea I think, because of the extra safety features for emergencies and all. I think I saw in the database that the SDNY is on a trunked system.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
A trunked system would probably be a better idea I think, because of the extra safety features for emergencies and all. I think I saw in the database that the SDNY is on a trunked system.
The city of New York maintains a trunking system which the police department and fire department have talk groups on.

The police department and fire department everyday communications will remain on non-trunked frequencies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Are these NYPD approved antennas? Ha checkout those antennas....jeeze
What is that??
DSC_3906-21-1536x1103.jpg

The new loop antenna design!
DSC_6565-2-1536x1042.jpg

kmartin

Premium Subscriber

NYPD police radios may go dark by late 2023 or 2024 — potentially cutting off the public, volunteer emergency groups and the media from day-to-day radio communications.
This article means nothing. Doesn't mean the E is going to happen. 2024 still a ways off ! But we will have to wait and see

spencerwww

This article means nothing. Doesn't mean the E is going to happen. 2024 still a ways off ! But we will have to wait and see
Is that for fire dept and ems are is it police just doing it I heard nyc does.mutal aid with alot County fire dept