Everything NYPD encryption.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Contrary to popular belief, "Mutual Aid" to, or from, the FDNY is rare, if ever.

The last time I remember anything close to mutual aid from NYC was, I believe, before the WTC. Yonkers (a paid FD) had a fire in an H-type multiple dwelling one or two blocks north of the Bronx/Yonkers line. Yonkers transmitted a 3rd Alarm, which resulted in a serious water problem at the scene. Yonkers requested that the FDNY have companies respond and hook up to a hydrant or hydrants just south of the city line, and supply Yonkers with water using LDH, which they did. At some point, and, most likely, as an afterthought, the FDNY companies operated in the fire building, perhaps in a "relief" capacity.

While out-of-town FDs initially responded to the WTC, the FDNY did NOT request them. One story was that the Newark, NJ, FD showed up and reported to the FDNY chief in command. The NY chief asked Newark who called them to the scene. It was reported that the Port Authority, a bi-state, NY/NJ government agency, who owned the WTC, established some type of 'mutual aid' with NJ at that point and requested those companies to respond. Since the FDNY did not request them (and didn't want them) the FDNY chief told the Newark companies (who didn't want to be there) to "take up" and return to NJ.

Many Volunteer FDs responded to various NYC firehouses, but, again, they weren't requested by the FDNY. Some FDs were 'staged' at the Javits Convention Center, but were never mobilized.

Obviously, with 197 Engine companies and 143 Ladder companies citywide, there's really no need to seek mutual aid FROM Long Island, which is predominantly volunteer FDs.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Poster at post #36 is just stirring the pot as they have in other post without any knowledge of local systems and will proclaim to know better than known local facts.
Yeah, his recent posts haven't gone unnoticed. Not sure he's a troll, though...could just have limited understanding of things, if you catch my drift.

Some of the other guys who live hundreds or thousands of miles away and are always proclaiming crap like "NYC needs to go trunked!"...absolutely amusing lack of awareness of how the city operates.

spencerwww

True but not every system is right for every user.
True I heard the buildings they would have hard time with digital or something im heading to NYC is fire dep .going encrypted are stating clear im heading that way i was wondering was ems and fire dept remaining clear sense ny pd is e crpytion

Storm_king

Is there legal precedent on whether or not public safety communications and the police in particular need to be in the open? Have other cities that have gone encrypted been successfully sued and ordered to provide some sort of solution for the public to listen to?

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
What is truly unhelpful is that a thread titled "NYC Encryption Update" is allowed to decay to "NYC Encryption Debate". Where are the mods?

The updates to NYC encryption is interesting. The encryption debate is stupid.

msradell

True I heard the buildings they would have hard time with digital or something im heading to NYC is fire dep .going encrypted are stating clear im heading that way i was wondering was ems and fire dept remaining clear sense ny pd is e crpytion
At this point in time nothing definite has been said. Lots of speculation but that's about it. I certainly have not heard a good case for it.

Danny37

"The NYPD is undergoing a systems upgrade that is underway and that will be complete after 2024,” a spokesperson for the Deputy Commissioner of Public Information said. “This infrastructure upgrade allows the NYPD to transmit in either an encrypted or non-encrypted format,” the NYPD said. “Some parts of the city have had the necessary equipment installed and the Department will begin testing the technology in these areas later this year. We are currently evaluating encryption best practices and will communicate new policies and procedures as we roll out this upgraded technology.” source: NYPD Considers Using Encryption to Block Public From Radio Scanner Broadcasts

looks like they might be testing both encrypted and non encrypted P25 in the coming months.

Last edited:

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
Being a lifelong New Yorker and someone who monitors on a daily basis and manages 3 large sites and BMS, I can confirm that 95% of the information in this post is hearsay and garbage.
I work in an environment that provides an ARC systems for NYPD as well as FDNY and there has been no talk of upgrading to anything encrypted.
The company I work for works closely with many city agencies and we also have 2 direct lines to both radio systems on our ARCS which is legally required by NYC and FDNY codes in buildings over 75 feet tall. We also have a direct patch on our current radio system to FDNY at all 3 buildings I manage which are above 30 stories.
I do believe that digital is coming soon with rolling encryption, but because of the need to be linked in, (Like 1/3 WTC, 30 Rock, Carnegie Hall) and other major sites that depend on ARCS, the city would have notified us by now.
2 of 3 of the control rooms I visit on a daily basis have citywide feeds in the consoles on top of other channels utilized by the city or state for emergency response.
We also are legally required to provide a minimum of 15 in house radios to responding FDNY units at the FCP and command center that can link into the ARCS.
If anything, I believe the citywide and SOD channels will go E as well as all the simplex tac channels. But anyone's guess is as good as mine at this point.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
Being a lifelong New Yorker and someone who monitors on a daily basis and manages 3 large sites and BMS, I can confirm that 95% of the information in this post is hearsay and garbage.
I work in an environment that provides an ARC systems for NYPD as well as FDNY and there has been no talk of upgrading to anything encrypted.
The company I work for works closely with many city agencies and we also have 2 direct lines to both radio systems on our ARCS which is legally required by NYC and FDNY codes in buildings over 75 feet tall. We also have a direct patch on our current radio system to FDNY at all 3 buildings I manage which are above 30 stories.
I do believe that digital is coming soon with rolling encryption, but because of the need to be linked in, (Like 1/3 WTC, 30 Rock, Carnegie Hall) and other major sites that depend on ARCS, the city would have notified us by now.
2 of 3 of the control rooms I visit on a daily basis have citywide feeds in the consoles on top of other channels utilized by the city or state for emergency response.
We also are legally required to provide a minimum of 15 in house radios to responding FDNY units at the FCP and command center that can link into the ARCS.
If anything, I believe the citywide and SOD channels will go E as well as all the simplex tac channels. But anyone's guess is as good as mine at this point.

How is this "hearsay" >??? "The NYPD is undergoing a systems upgrade that is underway and that will be complete after 2024,” a spokesperson for the Deputy Commissioner of Public Information said. “This infrastructure upgrade allows the NYPD to transmit in either an encrypted or non-encrypted format,” the NYPD said. “Some parts of the city have had the necessary equipment installed and the Department will begin testing the technology in these areas later this year. We are currently evaluating encryption best practices and will communicate new policies and procedures as we roll out this upgraded technology.”