Nypd Esu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am trying to find out what model of truck this is?
And i am also looking for the model of the Heavy Rescue truck as well.

http://www.extrication.com/554099-R1-4Asm.jpg

and also, is there a list of equipment that NYPD ESU Uses?.

I am trying to find an equipment list for the REP Vehicles and Heavy Rescue trucks

Thanks in Advance

SAR923

Wow! No wonder taxes are so high in NYC. Why does the NYPD get involved in heavy rescue and firefighting? Isn't there a fire department there that does that kind of thing? Seems like a tremendous duplication of effort.

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wow! No wonder taxes are so high in NYC. Why does the NYPD get involved in heavy rescue and firefighting? Isn't there a fire department there that does that kind of thing? Seems like a tremendous duplication of effort.

I was thinking the same thing, i live in buffalo, and we have the Fire Department for Fires/Rescues, and the police department for police/SWAT Matters,
So i am not sure why ESU isn't just a detachment of FDNY?
I know that NYPD has SOD, but why they do ESU is unclear to me?

comspec

I was thinking the same thing, i live in buffalo, and we have the Fire Department for Fires/Rescues, and the police department for police/SWAT Matters,
So i am not sure why ESU isn't just a detachment of FDNY?
I know that NYPD has SOD, but why they do ESU is unclear to me?

Boy did you guys just open up a touchy subject.

NYPD ESU and FDNY have a rivallry that goes way back. First off, for those unfarmiliar with NYC ESU=SWAT. So in addition to heavy rescue, ESU is also the heavy weapons and tactics team. From what I understand. NYPD actually picked up rescue responsibility back in the days when it seemed like there was a five alarm fire every day and FDNY simply too busy to handle non-fire rescues. Now thanks to improvements in Fire Prevention, FDNY has more time to dedicate to rescue, but ESU wasn't willing to give it up.

As a neutral observer not involved in the fight. I think an argument can be made for either one doing rescue work.

On the NYPD side, when you need a SWAT team you need a SWAT team. Unlike LAPD where the SWAT team has to be called in an assembled from either on-duty officers on routine patrol or from off-duty officers, it takes a while to assemble them. Just look at that wild bank shootout we all watched on TV in LAPD and how long it took SWAT to assemble. Now with ESU you have well armed and equipped REPs (the smaller pickup truck type vehicles), patrolling the city ready to respond quickly and rapidly. They also have the tools and training to deal with EDPs, forced entry, evidence searches, suspicious packages and other law enforecemnt centric activities. Since the equipment needed for these tactical operations also makes great rescue equipment, why not perform rescues when your tactical skills are not necessary.

On the FDNY side, an almost identical argument can be made. When there is a big fire in New York, FDNY is really needed. The question remains, what to do with all the apparatus when there is no big fire. It makes sense that FDNY should be performing rescues in their spare time also.

As far as who is better at it, they are both great public servants (and if any cops or firemen on the board are up for an argument I say save it or have you too forgotten 9-11) The sad truth of the matter is the rivallry really boils down to who gets the most $$$ in a cash strapped city. That and bragging rights, but as I said, if I am trapped in an overturned car I'll take help from whoever shows up blue or red.

scosgt

ESU does not fight fires. They do perform rescues. The thing to remember is that ESU Officers are specially trained in both SWAT and RESCUE work. Firefighters have their own RESCUE units, the average Firefighter is not qualified in the same way as ESU Officers - for example, one big area of "rescue" is people stuck in elevators. BOTH departments can deal with this, but while ESU would get people out of elevators, FDNY ALSO fights the fire. The only time there is a real "overlap" is at traffic acidents. THAT is where the pissing contests always start.

Personally, I am not so sure that FDNY should be responding to auto accidents unless called for a purpose, such as a washdown. Often they run two or three engines onto the Parkway, essentially shutting it down in both directions. The Highway cops really do a much better job on this. But they do not fight fires.

nypdkid

Not all trucks in in the fdny carry the tools to preform many rescues.I think the unit is great considering our reaction time.I think its important to remember though that we are never going to replace fdny in the rescue business.

NYPD ESU and FDNY can get the job done the right way all the same.

Since rescue and med aid transmitts come up on both radios we both respond,It doesnt matter who get there first but It usually is a R.E.P,or the only truck that has a hurst on scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.