NYPD Looking For Dispatchers ("Police Comm. Technicians")

Status
Not open for further replies.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Not a bad job, if you have an interest in this type of work (something that's substantially missing from there now), and you don't mind working "around the clock," weekends, and holidays.

It says that the requirement of "living in the 5 Boroughs," has been "waived." Just what the residency requirement is now is unknown, but if they are following the cops' residency, then Rockland, Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk would qualify. It could also mean that they are desperate for people who have, as stated, an interest in this type of work:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, dispatchers have always been underpaid. Part of the problem is/was that they were classified as clerical workers, which is nonsense.

Then, finding people that are:
-Willing to work for so little pay.
-Willing to work odd hours, especially as the "new guy".
-Can pass extensive background checks.
-Get screamed at by the general public
-Have everything you do recorded, analyzed, judged, criticized.
-Never make a mistake.
-Sit at a desk/console 10+ hours a day.

Until agencies get serious about paying well, they're always going to have recruitment issues.

Danny37

FYI, This job takes a massive toll on your health. As a call-taker, expect to answer over a 100 calls per 8 hour shift. Forced double overtime and canceled breaks. Expect to be called in on your days off.

There's a reason why 70% of people quit this job within the first year. Also, expect to be micromanaged to the T.

ff026

Feed Provider
FYI, This job takes a massive toll on your health. As a call-taker, expect to answer over a 100 calls per 8 hour shift. Forced double overtime and canceled breaks. Expect to be called in on your days off.

There's a reason why 70% of people quit this job within the first year. Also, expect to be micromanaged to the T.

Micromanage is an understatement!!

scanmanmi

Then, finding people that are:
-Willing to work for so little pay.
-Willing to work odd hours, especially as the "new guy".
-Can pass extensive background checks.
-Get screamed at by the general public
-Have everything you do recorded, analyzed, judged, criticized.
-Never make a mistake.
-Sit at a desk/console 10+ hours a day.

Until agencies get serious about paying well, they're always going to have recruitment issues.
Why I gave up being an EMT.

MStep

I recall that in the mid-1980's or so, when the FDNY made it easier for NYPD dispatchers to come over laterally, there were about 300 applicants. My recollection is about 40 eventually made it, in groups of 10 or 15 at a time, over 5 years.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
During the transition from all cops to civilian dispatchers, in the late 1970s, early '80s, it wasn't too bad to work down there. The cop "influence" as well as their "street experience" (for some of them, but not all of them) was an important part of the operation. All of the operational and administrative bosses were Sergeants and Lieutenants.

The first "wave" of civilians were actually the Police Administrative Aides (PAAs) who came from administrative jobs in the precincts themselves, so they brought a certain "cop" attitude (and experience) with them. In some cases, the relationship between these dispatchers and the cops in the street went as far as to being social, with the Dispatchers being invited to retirement and promotion parties, etc.

But then the PD opened the job up to anyone who could type xx-words per minute and who held any job at anytime in their past lives, people with little or no life experience, much less police experience, as a "social experiment": if more people with NYPD ID cards were in "the neighborhoods," they could influence that "neighborhood" into accepting the police.

It didn't work. In fact, it sort of backfired.

At that point, instead of having people who realized and acknowledged that they were an integral part of the police operation, you had people who looked at it as just a job. Whether they were inputting a serious police job, or handling a customer service call for a credit card company, it was all the same to them.

During a second or third day of training class for new "PCTs" many years ago (a class given by cops), the instructor happen to mention just in passing something about "working midnights...." At that point, one of the new recruits raised her hand and said, "You mean, we have to work nights?" The instructor said, yes, of course.

Seven new recruits got up and left.

With all that being said, it tells me there's a reason why they "waived" the residency requirement, opening up the job to a more diverse and experienced (volly FD or EMS, small-town police dispatchers, etc) applicant pool.

We can only hope.....!

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Actually, you make a very valid point.

But, that's typical for the NYPD...and NYC government in general....declare something, but dismiss or never answer the "What If..?" question.

Danny37

I thought they moved to the new facility in the Bronx for call-takers and dispatchers at metro. Heard everything was supposed to move to the Bronx a few years ago.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
I thought they moved to the new facility in the Bronx for call-takers and dispatchers at metro. Heard everything was supposed to move to the Bronx a few years ago.

I think you're right....but I'm not sure it was the whole city's 911. I know EMS and FD is in the Bronx (Manhattan, Bronx, and Queens FD in the Bronx location, Brooklyn and Staten Island in MetroTech). The NYPD...don't know if it's all the boroughs.

I think there's a lot of parking there, too.

Danny37

I think you're right....but I'm not sure it was the whole city's 911. I know EMS and FD is in the Bronx (Manhattan, Bronx, and Queens FD in the Bronx location, Brooklyn and Staten Island in MetroTech). The NYPD...don't know if it's all the boroughs.

I think there's a lot of parking there, too.
Lots of people weren't happy about the move since brooklyn is centrally located within the five boroughs. But the BX facility was supposed to be top of the art and have many amenities including lots of parking spaces.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I recall that in the mid-1980's or so, when the FDNY made it easier for NYPD dispatchers to come over laterally, there were about 300 applicants. My recollection is about 40 eventually made it, in groups of 10 or 15 at a time, over 5 years.

I knew a couple who left to FDNY. Young lady named Pat, and a great guy I worked with on midnights...Tommy Glavin. Did 911 from 1980-1983 and left for alleged greener pastures as a court officer

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
During the transition from all cops to civilian dispatchers, in the late 1970s, early '80s, it wasn't too bad to work down there. The cop "influence" as well as their "street experience" (for some of them, but not all of them) was an important part of the operation. All of the operational and administrative bosses were Sergeants and Lieutenants.

The first "wave" of civilians were actually the Police Administrative Aides (PAAs) who came from administrative jobs in the precincts themselves, so they brought a certain "cop" attitude (and experience) with them. In some cases, the relationship between these dispatchers and the cops in the street went as far as to being social, with the Dispatchers being invited to retirement and promotion parties, etc.

But then the PD opened the job up to anyone who could type xx-words per minute and who held any job at anytime in their past lives, people with little or no life experience, much less police experience, as a "social experiment": if more people with NYPD ID cards were in "the neighborhoods," they could influence that "neighborhood" into accepting the police.

It didn't work. In fact, it sort of backfired.

At that point, instead of having people who realized and acknowledged that they were an integral part of the police operation, you had people who looked at it as just a job. Whether they were inputting a serious police job, or handling a customer service call for a credit card company, it was all the same to them.

During a second or third day of training class for new "PCTs" many years ago (a class given by cops), the instructor happen to mention just in passing something about "working midnights...." At that point, one of the new recruits raised her hand and said, "You mean, we have to work nights?" The instructor said, yes, of course.

Seven new recruits got up and left.

With all that being said, it tells me there's a reason why they "waived" the residency requirement, opening up the job to a more diverse and experienced (volly FD or EMS, small-town police dispatchers, etc) applicant pool.

We can only hope.....!
I was 1980-83. Some awesome instructors. George, Bobby Pytel, few others. Made it fun

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Not a bad job, if you have an interest in this type of work (something that's substantially missing from there now), and you don't mind working "around the clock," weekends, and holidays.

It says that the requirement of "living in the 5 Boroughs," has been "waived." Just what the residency requirement is now is unknown, but if they are following the cops' residency, then Rockland, Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk would qualify. It could also mean that they are desperate for people who have, as stated, an interest in this type of work:

LMFAO, they expect you to pay US$75 for taking your finger prints?!?!?!?! And it Max's out at a bit over $53K/yr?!?!?!? Good luck...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
LMFAO, they expect you to pay US$75 for taking your finger prints?!?!?!?! And it Max's out at a bit over $53K/yr?!?!?!? Good luck...

Every time I've needed it done, it's been paid for by the agency.
I guess a way to weed out those that aren't serious.

Between retirements and dispatchers just quitting out of frustration, our county PSAP is desperately trying to hire. They are having a really hard time finding people.
Add in how hard it is to find people that can actually pass the background checks, low pay, long/weird hours, and it's not a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.