NYPD Muilti-Dispatch on different frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

Around the 3pm shift change today, I heard a NYPD dispatcher on two separate channels dispatching units. It was the 63/69 & 67/71 channels and it was a first for me. You can hear central on both frequencies dispatching all the units but you couldn’t hear the units in the field on their respective channel. It lasted about 20 minutes and even the units were confused why central was dispatching a 63 unit on 67/71 channel. It was a one-sided conversation when an outside unit was being dispatched on either frequencies.

I’m assuming the communication section is down on manpower due to covid-19, so they combined channels to make up for it until they could find someone to fill in. I’ve seen EMS do this before but never PD.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Yes the dispatchers console has whats called multi select meaning they can transmit same info to multiple channels at one time however they are not patched together hence only the dispatcher mic is patched temporarily while transmitting.

coolrich55

Was it smooth sailing? Cause what happened today was just mass confusion on all parts lol. Seemed to be ok. It was Manhattan precincts the time I heard them. I was confused as to what was going on. I posted a question about it on here. Answer I got was something about when they have a shortage of dispatchers they'll do this.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Around the 3pm shift change today, I heard a NYPD dispatcher on two separate channels dispatching units. It was the 63/69 & 67/71 channels and it was a first for me. You can hear central on both frequencies dispatching all the units but you couldn’t hear the units in the field on their respective channel. It lasted about 20 minutes and even the units were confused why central was dispatching a 63 unit on 67/71 channel. It was a one-sided conversation when an outside unit was being dispatched on either frequencies.

I’m assuming the communication section is down on manpower due to covid-19, so they combined channels to make up for it until they could find someone to fill in. I’ve seen EMS do this before but never PD.
Many moons ago when I was a dispatcher down there, we used to "double up" if we had a pursuit from one division to another. I had a pursuit that started in the 1st Precinct, and as it continued north I took over what was know as Radio Zone 20 6th Precinct got him. I wonder if they still do that

Danny37

Many moons ago when I was a dispatcher down there, we used to "double up" if we had a pursuit from one division to another. I had a pursuit that started in the 1st Precinct, and as it continued north I took over what was know as Radio Zone 20 6th Precinct got him. I wonder if they still do that

I wish they would do that but I don’t think they do anymore. Whenever I’ve heard something overlap, you’d have to listen to multiple frequencies to understand what’s going on. However, I do often hear relays from those units who transfer info over onto the overlapping command.

Example would be a pursuit I heard awhile back in queens that went into Brooklyn, then into Manhattan transit. I had to scan like 10 frequencies to catch everything.

ff026

Feed Provider
There must have been not enough PCT’s (Police Communication Tecnician) working. It use to happen a lot during the 1st platoon late 90’s. Basically the supervisor enables multi-select on the dispatchers console. The dispatchers audio goes over both divisions, but the units in the field can’t hear each other on the separate divisions.

It’s a little crazy at the change of tour but as the night goes on everyone gets used to it.

cw07110

could you upload the 63/69 to broadcastify.

Status
Not open for further replies.