NYPD New Year Eve Monitoring Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
OK so I got this brilliant idea and I have a question. I was thinking that listening to the Times Square security operation this year on New Year's Eve would be quite exciting. I have never listened before and thought I'd give it a go. I would be listening online, since I live south of Buffalo. I was wondering which feed here on RadioReference would have the best coverage of this event. I was thinking the SOD/traffic divisions one, but I'm not sure... any ideas? Is listening to the operation as exciting as it sounds?

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
The New Years event is on Citywide 1 and it gets crazy at midnight with thousand of NYPD officers wishing everyone happy new year.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I'm definitely thinking I want to listen. I don't see a specific "Citywide 1" feed in the list except for FDNY (I don't think you're referring to that)... any ideas on what feed covers that freq, here or on some other site?

one11sgt

No feed covers Citywide 1. Since it is mainly used for records checks and tactical communications, it violates RR terms of service.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
It's not at all exciting...warrant checks, everyone trying to transmit at the same time, It's a mess. Listen to SOD (NYPD Special Operations Division and Traffic; if anything big happens you'll hear it hear) and Manhattan FD.

For those within listening range try the DoITT 400 and 800 systems.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
It's not at all exciting...warrant checks, everyone trying to transmit at the same time, It's a mess. Listen to SOD (NYPD Special Operations Division and Traffic; if anything big happens you'll hear it hear) and Manhattan FD.

For those within listening range try the DoITT 400 and 800 systems.
Thanks, everyone, for clarifying this. I'll be listening to the SOD and FD feeds on New Year's Eve then!

WAScanMan

The New Years event is on Citywide 1 and it gets crazy at midnight with thousand of NYPD officers wishing everyone happy new year.

This. For about 30 minutes after midnight all you'll hear is "HAPPY NEW YEAR" from all the different officers. Put the live feed together with a couple EarthCam streams and it makes for some really fun listening.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, everyone, it sounds as though I'll have some good monitoring to do tonight! Besides listening to NYPD at midnight, I'll also be monitoring my local police (Erie, PA) which I have a feeling will be very active. Then, because of the time diference, I plan to listen to Chicago PD at 1 am, Denver at 2 am, and, the highlight, L.A. at 3!

So don't expect any replies on here from me until tomorrow afternoon!

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Since 2007 I've been broadcasting the "behind the scenes" feed on W2LIE.net

I will be hosting this feed on my own website on the "special" feed. Feed should be active mid-afternoon so you can hear them gear up and grab "filler shots" for when the ball drops tonight.

Feed listing is located here: http://www.w2lie.net/apps/feeds/feeds.php Membership is no longer required.
Any updates on the feed will be posted here: http://www.w2lie.net/apps/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?10116

Phil / w2lie

ig7180

Premium Subscriber
NYC New Years ProScan Feed

Listeners outside of the NYC metro area can find a NYC Area New Years Eve Special scanner audio feed on ProScan. Feed up on New Years Eve, 2045 EST til ???. The feed content is dynamic, currently streaming CW-1, CW-EMS, SOD, MTS, Manhattan Transit PD, CW-IO, Highway, NYFD Manhattan/CW and select air/media freqs. To listen, download the free ProScan client software at ProScan and look for the "New York City Area New Years Special" feed.

Have a Happy and Safe New Year! :)

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
I go to times square every year.. with the exception of 2 years maybe.. last week being one of them... I wentto Boston to visit my Mom and to stop off at scanner master and to the bass pro shop! let me tell you something boy did i miss it...! I sometime wander around with my MOTO under my coat(some years more than one) Ear bud in my ear extra battery and off i go.. I dont take my radio that much anymore because it's all the same thing... i'd rather go change my clothes at a friends place and then go out to help celebrate the new year.

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
I listened from my computer to the NYPD S.O.D. feed here off of RadioReference, which was the first time I ever tried it. I must say, I was a bit disappointed. There wasn't really any thing all that exciting to me going on, at least not on that feed. I would sooner try a diferent city or watch the ball drop on TV next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.