NYPD Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
res148cue said:
Since I am an EMT in NJ, I didn't think NYPD would give me a hard time if they stopped me as long as the radio is in RX only.

Don't be so sure about that. Being an EMT is not a "get out of jail free" card, much less an EMT from another state. I'm sure you already understand this, and you'll probably say that's not what you meant by that statement. Thing is, you have to also understand that in today's day and age of heightened security and paranoia (ESPECIALLY in NYC, ESPECIALLY during Fleet Week!), you better be prepared to have your balls broken unmercifully about having a transceiver with NYPD frequencies programmed in it, RX-only or not.

SCPD

QRT
res6cue_dot_com said:
Don't be so sure about that. Being an EMT is not a "get out of jail free" card, much less an EMT from another state. I'm sure you already understand this, and you'll probably say that's not what you meant by that statement. Thing is, you have to also understand that in today's day and age of heightened security and paranoia (ESPECIALLY in NYC, ESPECIALLY during Fleet Week!), you better be prepared to have your balls broken unmercifully about having a transceiver with NYPD frequencies programmed in it, RX-only or not.

If I am given a hard time or whatever, i'll post back with what happened. I understand about the heightened security, but I don't think they would do anything more than ask me what I am doing. I would tell them that I am en EMT in NJ, and hopefully that will make whoever stops me happy. So yes, that's exactly what I meant. I won't be walking around the city all day, i'll be at a tent.

SCPD

QRT
res148cue said:
In The State of New Jersey it is not a crime to have a scanner EXCEPT if it is used while in the commission of a crime.

To clarify, I only intended to put the radio in receive mode. Some posters and/or the OP assumed I was the type of person to cause interference on the NYPD channels or any public safety channel. I thought that was a bold statement since only 1 or 2 people actually know me from this website and none of the posters from this thread know me personally.

The OP did apologize (I did not ask for one) and clarified his comments, so I have no problem with him. Since I am an EMT in NJ, I didn't think NYPD would give me a hard time if they stopped me as long as the radio is in RX only. So I guess I will see Thursday. I do not own a handheld scanner, so I thought to bring my only portable UHF radio the Motorola. Maybe when I have the money I will buy a digital handheld. That's the end of my diatribe. Thanks.

I will be at 72nd & 5th Ave. if anyone will be in the area Thur. and Fri. feel free to say hello, [and to call NYPD on me :) ] I'll be the guy with the cane.

Friday only. Schedule change.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
res148cue said:
In The State of New Jersey it is not a crime to have a scanner EXCEPT if it is used while in the commission of a crime.

Which will do lots of good in NY :D

res148cue said:
<snip>
Some posters and/or the OP assumed I was the type of person to cause interference on the NYPD channels or any public safety channel.

<more snip>

The OP did apologize (I did not ask for one) and clarified his comments, so I have no problem with him.

Just wanted to point out, you are the OP.

res148cue said:
I'll be the guy with the cane.

Which we hope will not be broken across your head by someone doing it for "national security" :lol:

Larryfire26

Premium Subscriber
Wow, very interesting reading! All you have to do is get an amateur radio license and that takes care of most of the problems right there! Receiving is fine everywhere just do not use the radio in a mobile and any commission of any crime! I agree as an emergency worker, that if you can receive a transmission that warns you of a situation all the better!Another Plus is the Amateur radio repeaters get far better coverage than most emergency service radios! Just my 2 cents worth!

SCPD

QRT
Grog said:
Which will do lots of good in NY :D

Just wanted to point out, you are the OP.

Which we hope will not be broken across your head by someone doing it for "national security" :lol:

I was just comparing the 2 laws. It was a general statement. My bad on the OP statement. I meant to reference EncryptionMan's statement that he assumed that anyojne with a radio is going to cause interference. I thought it was presumptuous.

I don't get the 3rd line. I must be missing something.

SCPD

QRT
Larryfire26 said:
Wow, very interesting reading! All you have to do is get an amateur radio license and that takes care of most of the problems right there! Receiving is fine everywhere just do not use the radio in a mobile and any commission of any crime! I agree as an emergency worker, that if you can receive a transmission that warns you of a situation all the better!Another Plus is the Amateur radio repeaters get far better coverage than most emergency service radios! Just my 2 cents worth!

I printed a reference copy of my ham license from the FCC website. I listen to NYPD at home, so I just thought why not listen when i'm there. Your last comment is true, but I don't know why that is.

I guess for some listening to NYPD is a big deal.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
The problem, in my mind, wtih the NY V&T section about scanners in a car, is that it makes what you might be thinking a crime! Just think about that slippery slope.

Remember: Thoes who would sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither. [Ben Franklyn]

SCPD

QRT
For anyone who cares, NYPD did not bother me about the radio. There were 2 cops where I was the whole time, and one is a Lieutenant. He gave me a look, but that was all.

It seemed the look I got was that he was curious about the model radio I had, then anyhing else.

However, NAVY security or MP's if their called that, did question me about the radio at a check point prior to touring the ships. I showed him my EMT card and he asked me to remove the battery and keep the radio and battery seperated from each other.

Have a good weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.