NYPD Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have 3 questions.......in 17 parts! (just kidding!)

1. what is the chirp I am hearing after each transmission? It almost sounds like MDC-1200.

2. Does anyone know the legality of having a Motorola radio programmed with NYPD and FDNY EMS frequencies on it.

I am an EMT-B in NJ and I have them for introp / coord. purposes. I am volunteering with the USO during fleet week and I wanted to monitor NYPD while I was there.

3. Do the ESU trucks operate on the PCT channels or do they have their own?

TIA,

xpawel15x

I can answer question #3 "Do the ESU trucks operate on the PCT channels or do they have their own?" since I asked the same question a while ago.

ESU trucks are dispatched on the SOD channel and then can switch over to the specific precint frequency they are assigned to.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
As long as you monitor, and keep the volume low, nobody will bother you. I say keep the volume down because why bring attention to yourself? BTW, good of you to volunteer with USO...

EncryptionMan

Oh boy ....

If you are not assigned a radio or given information on how to obtain system permissions it means (in just about ever situation) they do not want you on there. IF you are not from the area and will be working with someone that you need radio contact with (you should just be assigned a radio) you have to get a written letter of authorization from the system administrator or the chief of both the NYPD and FDNY.

If you are just monitoring there is no reason to have a radio as you would not be programing the radio to transmit. If you want to monitor(and thats what you said so you can "monitor") get a scanner like everyone else. (Don't program a radio just so you can walk around with it on your belt and sound and look official) If you get caught with it and there is any type of interference you could be accused of interfering with their system or just have it confiscated even if its not programed to TX.

I do not allow ANY outside radios on our old conventional system and we are no where near as large as the NYPD is so i cant imagine they appreciate outside radios. System admins want to know about everything on the system to track down problems.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
EncryptionMan said:
Oh boy ....

If you are not assigned a radio or given information on how to obtain system permissions it means (in just about ever situation) they do not want you on there. IF you are not from the area and will be working with someone that you need radio contact with (you should just be assigned a radio) you have to get a written letter of authorization from the system administrator or the chief of both the NYPD and FDNY.

If you are just monitoring there is no reason to have a radio as you would not be programing the radio to transmit. If you want to monitor(and thats what you said so you can "monitor") get a scanner like everyone else. (Don't program a radio just so you can walk around with it on your belt and sound and look official) If you get caught with it and there is any type of interference you could be accused of interfering with their system or just have it confiscated even if its not programed to TX.

I do not allow ANY outside radios on our old conventional system and we are no where near as large as the NYPD is so i cant imagine they appreciate outside radios. System admins want to know about everything on the system to track down problems.

"Don't program a radio just so you can walk around with it on your belt and sound and look official)"

I don't do this. Maybe it's a problem where you live but not for me. You know what they say about assuming. I do not need to be in radio contact with anybody. I just wanted to listen to the Fleet Week related Comms. I am not buying a handheld scanner for the 2 days I am volunteering. IMHO I doubt I will have any problems. Thanks for the response.

SCPD

QRT
AEMTKieran said:
As long as you monitor, and keep the volume low, nobody will bother you. I say keep the volume down because why bring attention to yourself? BTW, good of you to volunteer with USO...

That's what I figured. I will be at a tent for most of the day, so I doubt having it on a table will be a problem.

And thanks. I thought it was the least I could do. Our soldiers and families are sacrificing so much.

EncryptionMan

Your obviously not authorized to posses a radio with the NYPD programed. If you were in fact "an EMT-B in NJ and I have them for introp / coord. purposes." You would have a letter of authorization or it would be permitted by your department as a mutual aid radio agreement and you would already have the answer to your question.

You should get a scanner and program that or have nothing at all.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
EncryptionMan said:

OK, I'm just going to assume this is someones troll account :lol:

EncryptionMan

Im just a new member with a low post count and no one to really help yet. Whats wrong with my statement? Nothing that I see.

EncryptionMan

BTW not that it concerns anyone else but I submitted an apology to the user I attacked in this form late last night. It was an error of judgment to post my concerns on a public forum. A PM with a note saying its a bad idea in case they are seen with it would have been a better route. But either way. I apologized to the him.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
EncryptionMan (funny name that will earn you a seat on the most hated list on RR :lol: )

I'm not sure why you felt the need to PM me, you could have just questioned me on this thread, it's here to exchange ideas.

I assumed your post was in jest, just how many conventional "systems" can keep someone from having a radio programmed to RX? Unlike a trunked system, there is nothing needed from a system operator to monitor using a personal radio and unless there is some wacky law (we are talking about NJ and NYC, neither which are known for actually people have all of their rights) then if he wants to look like "someone" and walk around with a radio, let him take the heat when/if (likely when up there) it gets to him.

Do I think the OP would actually program the channels for TX "just in case"? It's been known to happen with a lot of people who have no business doing so. If he actually would only program his radio for RX, would it be better then using a scanner? Yes, especially if he does not have one. But even if he does, I would always choose a quality commercial radio over a scanner in an urban environment just for the superior rejection over what a scanner could ever do.

To the OP...if you program it for TX and get caught, we will all get a laugh so keep us posted :lol:

EncryptionMan

I sent you a PM just to clarify my point in posting. My post meant no trolling. Sorry it appeared to be that way. My user name well i relize people hate it I am a supporter of it and use it as often as possible. HOWEVER heck ill program your scanner for ya! I have no issues with people listening to average communications just those of sensitive nature. As kramer once said "I'm watching the watchers" :)

Highpockets

EncryptionMan said:
I sent you a PM just to clarify my point in posting. My post meant no trolling. Sorry it appeared to be that way. My user name well i relize people hate it I am a supporter of it and use it as often as possible. HOWEVER heck ill program your scanner for ya! I have no issues with people listening to average communications just those of sensitive nature. As kramer once said "I'm watching the watchers" :)

Sounds like your in law enforcement, just curious, have you ever arrested someone commiting a crime that had a scanner on them? I wonder what % of arrests involve the use of a scanner.

SCANdal

Silent Key
Getting back to the point...

res148cue said:
1. what is the chirp I am hearing after each transmission? It almost sounds like MDC-1200.

It is MDC-1200.

res148cue said:
2. Does anyone know the legality of having a Motorola radio programmed with NYPD and FDNY EMS frequencies on it.

Recieve only is fine. Transmit and Recieve...no good.

res148cue said:
I am an EMT-B in NJ and I have them for introp / coord. purposes. I am volunteering with the USO during fleet week and I wanted to monitor NYPD while I was...

Again, monitor only capability is fine.

res148cue said:
3. Do the ESU trucks operate on the PCT channels or do they have their own?

Already answered in post 2 above.

SCANdal

EncryptionMan

I am not a law enforcement officer and I have no issues as a civilian with people listening. (well when it involves running a social security number or other sensitive information I do, and thats where we utilize the encrypted side of the system it comes in handy off the primary dispatch channel which I think should be in the clear. (after all in most cases people in a community pay for the system shouldn't they be able to listen?) but anyway.. I do not know that statistic however I know in some states it is a serious problem, it would be kind of interesting to find out though. But that could just turn into an argument for more encryption! :) Some people do not think you should be able to listen at all. I am not one of those people. I think your taking my user name the wrong way. :(

johnnystuyv

Done but rare !

Highpockets said:
Sounds like your in law enforcement, just curious, have you ever arrested someone commiting a crime that had a scanner on them? I wonder what % of arrests involve the use of a scanner.

I for one never saw a rap sheet that stated "Scanner used during commission of crime"

I am not saying it is not done, I am saying it must be rare !

SCPD

QRT
In The State of New Jersey it is not a crime to have a scanner EXCEPT if it is used while in the commission of a crime.

To clarify, I only intended to put the radio in receive mode. Some posters and/or the OP assumed I was the type of person to cause interference on the NYPD channels or any public safety channel. I thought that was a bold statement since only 1 or 2 people actually know me from this website and none of the posters from this thread know me personally.

The OP did apologize (I did not ask for one) and clarified his comments, so I have no problem with him. Since I am an EMT in NJ, I didn't think NYPD would give me a hard time if they stopped me as long as the radio is in RX only. So I guess I will see Thursday. I do not own a handheld scanner, so I thought to bring my only portable UHF radio the Motorola. Maybe when I have the money I will buy a digital handheld. That's the end of my diatribe. Thanks.

I will be at 72nd & 5th Ave. if anyone will be in the area Thur. and Fri. feel free to say hello, [and to call NYPD on me :) ] I'll be the guy with the cane.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Cut and pasted here from another thread.

I copied this directly from the NYS Legislator's website.

§ 397. Equipping motor vehicles with radio receiving sets capable of
receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use. A
person, not a police officer or peace officer, acting pursuant to his
special duties, who equips a motor vehicle with a radio receiving set
capable of receiving signals on the frequencies allocated for police use
or knowingly uses a motor vehicle so equipped or who in any way
knowingly interferes with the transmission of radio messages by the
police without having first secured a permit so to do from the person
authorized to issue such a permit by the local governing body or board
of the city, town or village in which such person resides, or where such
person resides outside of a city or village in a county having a county
police department by the board of supervisors of such county, is guilty
of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand
dollars, or imprisonment not exceeding six months, or both. Nothing in
this section contained shall be construed to apply to any person who
holds a valid amateur radio operator's license issued by the federal
communications commission and who operates a duly licensed portable
mobile transmitter and in connection therewith a receiver or receiving
set on frequencies exclusively allocated by the federal communications
commission to duly licensed radio amateurs.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
That NYS law is poorly written, and is quite generic. However, it does state that any radio that is capable of receiving frequencies set aside for public safety use is illegal to have in a motor vehicle. This does not prohibit you from walking around with a scanner or two-way (in a Rx only state), on public safety frequencies.

NYC has a more stringent administrative law that requires you to get a permit from the commissioner of police before equipping a motor vehicle with a radio, again however, on foot it is still 100% legal.

With that said, don't be surprised if you get asked questions if you have a two-way programmed for receive only on public safety frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.