NYPD "red"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

On MelsGarage.com's SOD/Manhattan North/South Feed, I every now and then here something like "Truck 10 Red" or "Sergeant Red".

Does that mean like the NYPDs Code 3, which is respond with lights and sirens?

comspec

No it is actually "READ" as in have you read my last transmission.

You may also hear the expression "Read Direct" in situations where a unit has given a message to central to give to another unit, but since they heard the origional message they may call out "read direct" meaning there is no need for central to repeat the message to them.

I know a few PDs where cars can not go "CODE-3" unless authorized, but as long as I can remember, NYPD never tells the units how to respond (lights or sirens) and that is left up to the officer's discretion. There are department guidlines on what types of calls are emergencies and which aren't, but that's about it. They are after all just guidelines. Given the traffic in NY they may use light and sirens just to get back to the station for shift change. While not official policy this is tolerated because they need to get the next shift out on patrol and the can't wait for a hour for a unit stuck in traffic.

Last edited:

bhager

Not trying to hijack someone else's thread but;

I frequently hear a call for an "EPD" - I am assuming it's health related emergencies. Anyone know what it means?

Also, a couple of times I hear calls from "Impact Seargant" - whats the difference between a regular Seargant and an Impact Seargant?

comspec

The term is "UNCONFIRMED" not "NONCONFIRMED" or at least it should be.

It is used when ESU is dispatched before a preceint (sector) car is on secene as they are routinly dispatched to all EDP calls. This would be as opposed to a sector car on scene specifically requesting ESU services to help them handle an EDP. Most of the time they are cancelled before arrival becuase the person may be non-violent and cooperative and can be taken into custody (if neccessary) without ESU assistance or as you said, they were not an EDP after all, someone just thought they were.

"Truck 2 Cancellation in the Two-Four on your EDP. Truck 2 Read?"

CDS-INC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I also hear "ADT" Alot, does that signify an Alarm?,
I know that they use "Commerical Burg" which i assume is a Commercial burg alarm, but sometimes i hear "ADT" unless they are really saying EDP and i am misunderstanding it.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Impact sergeant is the boss over the Impact details. Impact are the new cops right out of the Academy.
ADT is an alarm company and manufacturer of commercial burglar alarms.

CDS-INC

Banned
Impact sergeant is the boss over the Impact details. Impact are the new cops right out of the Academy.
ADT is an alarm company and manufacturer of commercial burglar alarms.

I know who ADT is, i hear it occasoinally over the air

KG4PSN

Premium Subscriber
ADT Trivia Time

Anyone out there know what ADT stands for?
the original name is a hoot!

(this is where us old-timeers come in!)

guess correctly and win a cupie doll!

Last edited:

KG4PSN

Premium Subscriber
yeah yeah, but thats not a REAL answer

ok well fine.. you WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

DaveNF2G

Anyone out there know what ADT stands for?
the original name is a hoot!

(this is where us old-timeers come in!)

guess correctly and win a cupie doll!

American District Telegraph.

I used to work for Rochester Central Alarms, which was bought out by Honeywell a little after I left.

BTW, those are kewpie dolls. :)

CDS-INC

Banned
So do they really use this "ADT" over the air? or am i hearing EDT?

gcr33

There are several other alarm companies that are on the fire radio system that are allowed to monitor firel alarms ie: class 3.

gothamite

Now that the Fire Patrol is gone, do the insurance companies ever respond to fires while they're still burning? Also, if a fire is determined to be of suspicious origin, how closely do the insurance investigators work with the Fire Marshals?

nozzlenut83

Also, if a fire is determined to be of suspicious origin, how closely do the insurance investigators work with the Fire Marshals?

Can't speak for the NYC area, but here in the Mid-Hudson Valley if a fire is determined to be suspicious and the insurance companies have investigators working on the claim, the insurance investigators and the fire department/police department investigators work very closely with each other. Insurance company investigators often have better access to a wealth of technical information and services that public sector investigators cannot afford or access otherwise.

Suspicious fires always involve a lot of interested parties including insurance investigators, public sector (police and fire department) investigators, DA investigators, private attorney's offices investigators, etc... It is usually in everyone's best interest to work together and share information and resources.

gothamite

TO: nozzlenut83 - Thanks for your quick response. Actually, I was thinking more about NYC, but you raise another question: you said that "...in the Mid-Hudson Valley...Insurance company investigators often have better access to a wealth of technical information and services that public sector investigators cannot afford or access otherwise."

Does anyone know if that holds true in NYC?

Again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.