NYPD SSD TAC Channel

buster150

I’m posting to this forum for the first time.
I hope that I can deepen my understanding through advice from many knowledgeable folks.

What I'm wondering is what this news is about:

This is the content that the NYPD School Safety Division is not using the NYPD frequency anymore.

Well, now the NYPD is issue APX NEXT. In the news related to this, I noticed the School Safety Division's Simplex channel (TAC-1C) on the display.

In many cases, SSDs are made up of civilian service member, so I guess unlikely that APX NEXT is first issued there.

Given the above two considerations, I suspect that the TAC channel for School Safety Div has recently been repurposed to another unit.

If anyone has any information or advice regarding this, I would so appreciate it.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
School Safety has...and always had...their own radio frequencies.

When they became part of the NYPD, they gave each school an NYPD radio (presumably on the local division) to call for help.

They don't want them to "call for help" on the radio anymore; call 911.

It's all part of the new "woke": cops=bad, especially in a school atmosphere.

n2nov

These School Safety Division frequencies are still valid internally and used for non-NYPD precinct or NYPD Citywide communications.

School Safety Division​

FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
471.4125KWF680RM141.3 PLSSD 1 CWCitywideFMLaw Dispatch
471.8125KUE800RM91.5 PLSSD 2 CWCitywideFMLaw Dispatch
458.1125M71.9 PLSSD Tac 1ATactical 1AFMNLaw Tac
458.1125M79.7 PLSSD Tac 1BTactical 1BFMNLaw Tac
458.1125M203.5 PLSSD Tac 1CTactical 1CFMNLaw Tac
458.1625M71.9 PLSSD Tac 2ATactical 2AFMNLaw Tac
458.1625M79.7 PLSSD Tac 2BTactical 2BFMNLaw Tac
458.1625M203.5 PLSSD Tac 2CTactical 2CFMNLaw Tac

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
School Safety has...and always had...their own radio frequencies.

When they became part of the NYPD, they gave each school an NYPD radio (presumably on the local division) to call for help.

They don't want them to "call for help" on the radio anymore; call 911.

It's all part of the new "woke": cops=bad, especially in a school atmosphere.
Actually the article specifically says that one radio will remain on NYPD to call for help.
From the article:
“At least one agent per school is designated to stay on the NYPD frequency where they will have the ability to request immediate assistance from patrol officers during an emergency,” the NYPD said in a statement. “The other agents assigned to the school will remain on the Department of Education frequency in order to maintain contact with DOE staffers inside the school.”

I suspect the actual issue is that it was keeping school staff from being able to speak to school safety directly/school safety hearing what was going on in the school.

buster150

Thank you for the very useful discussion.

How about TAC Channel of School Safety Division?
In the article, it is indicated that the contact frequency between the school and NYPD will be left, but I think it refers to the SSD Citywide frequency.
So I'm guessing that the TAC frequency in the school is no longer needed.

School Safety have 6 TAC channels per PL tone, but I'm wondering if that's really being run at the school at the moment.

Danny37

I believe public school DOE employees use one of those 6 six tac frequencies and SSD staff are also park on those channels. One SSD emplpyee at the school will be parked on SSD citywide and they'll carry a DOE portable as well.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
The police and education departments did not explain the reason for the the change, but the union for school principals was not happy with the initial move to police radios and has pushed for the change back since the beginning of the school year.

You have to read between the lines: the principals want no part of the NYPD in "their" schools, knowing that, once the cops arrive, everything is on the record.

Keeping an NYPD radio is a lot different than using an NYPD radio.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I believe public school DOE employees use one of those 6 six tac frequencies and SSD staff are also park on those channels. One SSD emplpyee at the school will be parked on SSD citywide and they'll carry a DOE portable as well.
When my significant other used to work at P186 in the Bronx, I remember seeing the SSD there carrying two Vertex radios, the 537, and a no display vertex portable.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
When my significant other used to work at P186 in the Bronx, I remember seeing the SSD there carrying two Vertex radios, the 537, and a no display vertex portable.

Sounds about right. The DoE used to issue out VX-821s. Not sure if they still are, anymore.

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
hi, don't follow NYPD alot, but you said that they are using Motorola APX NEXT. Are all members of NYPD getting these?

buster150

I appreciate the lively discussion.
To clarify the point, we all know that the SSD TAC frequency had been or is currently being used by the School Safety Agent of civilian members.

In the opening article it states:

"But now the police department has ordered school safety agents not to use the police frequency, but rather the Education Department's radio frequency for their schools."

This includes the possibility that the School Safety Agent may no longer be the existing SSD TAC and will move to the DOE frequency.
What I would like to draw attention to is speculation that the SSD TAC frequencies left by the transition to DOE may have been reused by another uniformed member.

This may be my misunderstanding but it's a guess, noting that such channels appear on the new APX NEXT.

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
Yikes, just the cost alone gives me shivers. And I heard from an agency that has them they are a POS as well as to complicated to operate unless your doctorate is in engineering. This agency doesn't chase people down the street and they have trouble sitting in their car, changing a channel or zone ---image trying to chase someone with a gun using your smart phone?

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
All of my local precinct in the Bronx is using 537s and 900's.
SSD by my house at the local HS is also using 537's. I see them everyday on their smoke breaks outside the school with a 537 just in the pocket.

The Magnificent
Premium Subscriber
I’ve been around schools in multiple commands in each borough, each time I’ve been around them I’ve heard School Safety Division using TAC 1A-C, I’ve heard Department of Education on TAC 2A-C, since their VX-821 radios (the Vertex without the screen) don’t have VMDE-200 option boards like their VX-537, 824 counterparts or built in MDC (depending on the firmware) that the 824/829, 924/929, P824/P829, P924/929s have. When you’re around a school, you have to open the squelch or monitor to hear them versus the TAC 1A-C channels which you can hear with the squelch closed. This is the case at my old schools, the schools where I live, my friends, partner and relatives. May be different depending the area but this is what I’ve observed.

buster150

I’ve been around schools in multiple commands in each borough, each time I’ve been around them I’ve heard School Safety Division using TAC 1A-C, I’ve heard Department of Education on TAC 2A-C, since their VX-821 radios (the Vertex without the screen) don’t have VMDE-200 option boards like their VX-537, 824 counterparts or built in MDC (depending on the firmware) that the 824/829, 924/929, P824/P829, P924/929s have. When you’re around a school, you have to open the squelch or monitor to hear them versus the TAC 1A-C channels which you can hear with the squelch closed. This is the case at my old schools, the schools where I live, my friends, partner and relatives. May be different depending the area but this is what I’ve observed.
Thank you for sharing. I seems that is very useful information for me.

Based on this tweet, it appears that SSD agents continue to use PD and DOE portable.