NYPD Transit Bureau VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) GSA/3.2.1.25875 Mobile/11D167 Safari/8536.25)

As of Saturday all VHF transit repeaters have signal strength increases power output is very good no more weak signals. This is due to new base stations installed with outside antenna near some subway stations. The UHF radio system has been phased out and all transit police units will remain on the current VHF system that has been upgraded. Also the next step will be is to move frequencies to a 12.5 step split

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Considering that the underground stations were installed between 1982 and 1986 all I can say is it's about time, those old GE MASTRII stations going through a 4 port combiner have been around for a long time. The outdoor repeaters were installed in 1986 and 1987 after an Officer was KILD. I imagine they were Micors, so they also were also way overdue for replacement. Have the new stations have any P-25 capability?

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) GSA/3.2.1.25875 Mobile/11D167 Safari/8536.25)

With the problem of dead spots with analog I would imagine P 25 would be a horror show in the hole

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
Any chance they will be updating the Train Operations Repeaters?

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4; XT1080 Build/SU2-3) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.114 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Unknown what's going to happen with RTO

nyscan

Any idea what they will do with the UHF frequencies that they set aside for the Transit Bureau?

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Any idea what they will do with the UHF frequencies that they set aside for the Transit Bureau?

Not yet decided, but there's a lot of internal competition for them, so I'd expect changes relatively soon.

ff026

Feed Provider
They will probably just add them to the DOITT 470 system.

Do you have any inside knowledge of this or just speculating? The licenses are held by the New York City Police Department not DOITT. The chances of the Police Department giving up spectrum are about slim to none.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
My sources tell me the current plan is to return them to patrol boro use, but that there's also a chance that they'll turn the transit links back on to allow (UHF only) precinct units to communicate with transit. But still up in the air.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
No I don't have any inside info, but I do know how the City works sometimes.
All of the old EMS/FDNY channels were absorbed into the DOITT system, so it would make sense. BTW the licenses name have nothing to due to who gets to use the frequencies. TLC and Traffic were on Sanitation channels before the DOITT system came up.

Quote "My sources tell me the current plan is to return them to patrol boro use, but that there's also a chance that they'll turn the transit links back on to allow (UHF only) precinct units to communicate with transit. But still up in the air. "

Makes the most sense. I guess people never learn that lack of communications can get people killed.

Last edited:

ff026

Feed Provider
No I don't have any inside info, but I do know how the City works sometimes.
All of the old EMS/FDNY channels were absorbed into the DOITT system, so it would make sense. BTW the licenses name have nothing to due to who gets to use the frequencies. TLC and Traffic were on Sanitation channels before the DOITT system came up.

Quote "My sources tell me the current plan is to return them to patrol boro use, but that there's also a chance that they'll turn the transit links back on to allow (UHF only) precinct units to communicate with transit. But still up in the air. "

Makes the most sense. I guess people never learn that lack of communications can get people killed.

Actually the license holder has a lot to do with who uses the spectrum. DOITT holds all licenses for all agencies now, with exception of the NYPD. All licensing was consolidated under the Giuliani administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.