NYPD Transit Radio upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4-crime

HI, I was just wondering, with the Narrowband mandate coming January 1, 2013 will the NYPD Transit Divison switch over to the UHF system that they have been working on for years? Or will they just purchase newer VHF radios capable of narrowbanding? As the current Motorola Saber's are not capable of being programmed to narrowband? Anyone have an info on this?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I know MTA NYTA was ordering a large number of HT-1250 radios (3-4K)last year, but I don't know if they are for train operations or PD. I also saw a bid for XTS2500 and 5000 portables some time ago. If the radios are used underground they technically wouldn't have to replace them, as they are considered non-incidental radiators. Plus you have the story that NYPD applied for a wavier and extension for the narrow banding.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
There was a quick story about them testing a dual band radio. So if.they go that route then maybe they would upgrade the system. They have the uhf but there are issues.

4-crime

It will be interesting to see what happens. Any update on the UHF system that is being worked on? Why such the long delay?

coolrich55

Correct me if I'm wrong but the dispatch side of the transmissions come over uhf but the rest is still on vhf. Any reason for this?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
In today's news the will purchase Motorola dualband radios for all units. I guess some form of apx

4-crime

I don't get why they would sink so much money into getting dual band radios. I thought they were supposed to be switching to UHF. Isn't that why the nypd dedicated UHF transit freqs?

ipfd320

Banned
Looks like more waste of money on this one....its bad enough they cant use the old radios rite...now they are going to try and use dual band....this is where you see patrols bouncing off into another band not even knowing their there all because the radio button got hit without the operator knowing it

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Police Won’t Use $140 Million Radio System - New York Times

this talks a little about the issues with the UHF system in the subway.

We use it in fdny and it works pretty good. On the nypd side there are issues with the timing of the transmitters. When a unit is in range of the above ground and below tx sites it causes the audio to distort.

The only issue is the pct cop still can't use his radio but the transit guy will now be able to switch channels when he goes up on the street. Don't see any issues with accidental button pushes, one channel VHF the other UHF the officer won't know the difference or care. Just that it works

n2nov

In early 2011 NYCTA took delivery of over 8,000 units (with accessories) of the Icom F70 handhelds. Does anyone know what they are going to be used for and what band?

CqDx

They replaced the old VX-900 which is approaching its lifecycle. (knobs broken, antennas bent..etc)

The F70 handhelds channels are the exact layout as the VX-900, except with the addition of narrowband bank.

4-crime

Does anyone have any info the NYPD transit VHF freqs? Any changes? I haven't been hearing anything on the freqs.

n2nov

They replaced the old VX-900 which is approaching its lifecycle. (knobs broken, antennas bent..etc)

The F70 handhelds channels are the exact layout as the VX-900, except with the addition of narrowband bank.

OK, so narrow FM and on the VHF band then? What are the UHF freqs allocated to transit going to be used for?

CqDx

Last I was told the UHF freqs allocated to transit are used as "placeholder" since UHF allocations are increasingly hard to get. Notice the date granted on those UHF freqs, they are there just so if NYCTA decides to upgrade the radio system to UHF, the licenses are already available.

4-crime

Hi all, just wanted to give an update on the NYPD transit radios. Today I saw several manhattan transit officers carrying APX6000"s. I guess the department has finally started issuing them officers into the field. Anyone else have any further info on this?

4-crime

Correction on my initial post. They are APX7000's not APX6000's. They are dual band radios. UHF2 and VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.