NYPD unit IDs Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgm9991

Can someone explane what some of the call signs are I know what the precent call signs are and I know ESU, K-9, Harbour and Aviation are but one are ones for Highway, Traffic, Bomb squad etc

Thank

KC2zZe

The Traffic posts, as heard on Citywide 3, are IDed by one of three ways: The officer's last name (and first initial, if more then one - i.e.: "Rodriguez, J"), the function (i.e.: "Traffic Sargeant"), or an RMP or scooter number.

If Bomb Squad units don't ID in the clear ("Bomb Squad Lieutenant"), then they will use their RMP numbers.

Highway Patrol units ID one of three ways:

- Sector number (101 to 110 are Highway One Bronx sectors, 111 to 115 are Highway One Manhattan sectors, 201 to 209 are Highway Two (Brooklyn) sectors, 301 to 312 are Highway Three (Queens) sectors, and 501 to 509 are Highway Five (Staten Island) sectors. If one car is covering more then one sector, that car will call out using the lowest numbered sector. If you can get your hands on a copy of Scanner Master's New York Metro / Northern NJ Communications Guide (7th Edition), there is a pretty detailed list of sector numbers on pages 24 and 25.
- RMP or Motorcycle number
- Function ("2 [for Highway 2] HOV" "5 Sargeant")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.