NYPD Unit Numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy252

Premium Subscriber
Hey all

how do the NYPD dispatch there cars as far as numbers go? Is it like on "3rd Watch" where its the precint # then a beat district? or something else?

It would be great if anyone knew of a website

thanks

SCANdal

Silent Key

There are a couple of different methods used to identify a unit over the air...

1) Precinct number followed by precinct sector letter (i.e.: 33A, 44P - oftentimes clipped to one number only...3A, 4P)

2) Car number (anywhere from one to four digits)

3) Function (for example: Precinct number + "H.O.W." = car assigned to pay special attention to Houses of Worship during high holidays)

4) Note that specialized units use assorted methods.
- Highway units ID with S (for sector) + Highway Unit number (1, 2, 3, or 5) + post number (i.e.: S101, S206, etc - the S is often dropped)
- Emergency Service units ID with unit letter + Squad number (i.e.: A1, B2, Truck 10)
- Some plainclothes units ID with code names (i.e.: Tom Alpha)

SCANdal

Last edited:

n2mdk

I haven't been living in NYC since 2004 dispatch would be 112 or 12 Adam, Boy, Charlie etc. for sector cars in the 112 Pct in Queens/
A good site is Charlie n2nov's site http://www.n2nov.net/

SCANdal

Silent Key
Little did I know...

That depends.

- Precinct Detective Squad detectives ID as "# (Precinct #) Squad"
- Detectives assigned to Accident Investigation Squads ID as "# (Highway Patrol Unit #) Follow-Up"
- Detectives assigned to Patrol Borough Anti-Crime Units ID as "__ (fill in Borough) Crime"
- Detectives assigned to other specialized units will ID with whatever car number they are in (anywhere from 1 to 4 digits) or using code names.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my post above that Housing Bureau units - who are also dispatched over Zone channels - ID as "Housing Posts #" or car numbers from 9100 up. I will refer readers to page 23 of Edition 7 of Scanner Master's NY Metro / Northern NJ Comm Guide for an explaination of the Transit Bureau's radio ID scheme on their stand alone radio system.

SCANdal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.