NYPD's ends OWS in the middle of the night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confuzzled

Don't you understand that this kind of 'secrecy' and hiding behind administrative policy is exactly what OWS is protesting? People should be helping them in their battle against totalitarian regimes in any way possible.

Bloomberg and NYPD brass are in direct violation of a court order and should be held in contempt and possibly arrested.

WAScanMan

Don't you understand that this kind of 'secrecy' and hiding behind administrative policy is exactly what OWS is protesting? People should be helping them in their battle against totalitarian regimes in any way possible.

Bloomberg and NYPD brass are in direct violation of a court order and should be held in contempt and possibly arrested.

Regardless of the politics behind it. The CW frequencies are a clear violation of the ToS on this site. Any person at the protest could still have a scanner to listen in freely.

Confuzzled

They are repeating everything on the radio to the OWS people.

Right - well a chief just asked for the command center's phone number, the dispatcher gave it 347....... then a second later it was posted on the OWS Twitter feed !!

Excellent!! More power to them!!!

This is not Syria. The people should be informed of planned violence against them and be given the tools and information to protect themselves and file complaints direct with the command structure.

Highpockets

Excellent!! More power to them!!!

This is not Syria. The people should be informed of planned violence against them and be given the tools and information to protect themselves and file complaints direct with the command structure.

"Planned Violence", "Information to protect themselves". You should be out there with them, I think they added 2 more cool aid stands, you could even be a server. :roll:

one11sgt

This is not Syria, that's a great point, so what is there so much to complain about? Be happy its not Syria instead of being in-grateful for all this county gives you.

But like WAScanMan said, its not about the politics, its about the rules of this site. And this feed violates those rules.

Confuzzled

"Planned Violence", "Information to protect themselves". You should be out there with them

If I lived in NYC, I may very well be there, but you won't find me within 500 miles of that cesspool. I don't believe in living under the kind of tyranny displayed by Bloomberg and Kelly.

I personally think every radio channel NYPD uses should be streamed to allow the citizens to protect themselves from further attacks on their civil rights.

one11sgt

CW 1 and 2 are used for records checks. CW 3 (which is not an issue to me) is used by traffic control officers.
CW 1 and 2 have dispatchers to provide those checks, but those dispatchers do not participate in communications regarding OWS or any special event. Those communications are between officers in the street directly to each other and do not go through a dispatcher. In my opinion, that makes it a tactical channel. The only time a dispatcher is heard, is if a record check request is made, or if there is an emergency transmission which is made across all NYPD frequencies. My synopsis for you Lindsay:
1. 911 calls are not dispatched to units on CW 1 or 2.
2. Record checks are transmitted on CW 1 and 2
3. Records checks consist of civilian names and birthdays and also the location of that person, the vast majority of whom have no criminal record
4. Operations communication is conducted between personnel in the street directly on CW 1 and 2
5. A dispatcher does not coordinate or participate in operations communication on CW 1 or 2
6. The CW 1 and 2 dispatchers are not dedicated as they each monitor at least 2 other NYPD channels ie: occb1, occb2, det1, det2, spin, CW 4, Special project and intell, for the purpose of having someone to answer if an officer calls for help on the wrong channel.

This violates the TOS, in my opinion

Last edited:

one11sgt

I promise you all the police wanna do is go home to their families and be free of OWS as some of them have been ther since 3pm yest.

Confuzzled

I promise you all the police wanna do is go home to their families

They can go home without attacking citizens.

The situation would probably be much more calm if they did. Presence of armed force tends to increase tensions.

one11sgt

As per the President, with my thanks and Im sure many others:

Received and understood. I'm going to have the provider remove all the CW channels.

n2nov

I just saw an email asking me to comment on the shutting down of the NYPD CW streams.

While I am quite the libertarian minded person over many decades, I agree with the choice by
Lindsay Blanton. It's his system and he can make the choices on how his equipment is used.
Eventhough I come from a NYPD family (grandfather was a rookie cop walking a beat on the
lower east side in the 30's), I usually say let people listen to the frequencies. With the latest
info of relaying cellphone numbers, etc across the internet is a direct violation of the FCC rules
about NOT divulging what you hear on a radio communications that you are not a party to, it is
time to shut down the feeds. Heck, even if NYPD is purposely transmitting false info because
they know the protesters are listening and divulging it, the OWS people are still breaking federal
law by sending it out to their comrades.

Che Power! Down With Capitalists! .... plus whoever paid for their comfy upbringing and liberal arts
college degrees. Can't anybody work for themselves? The universe does NOT own anyone an existence!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I concur n2nov, and well put.

i'm going with the pre-emptive strike on this thread as well.. :)

Closed.

Everyone is free to start a new thread that is on-topic regarding communications related to the events happening in downtown NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.