NYS Likely To Scrap Open Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
Its really hard to comment in a serious tone.
However I have a 2 billion dollar bridge I could sell in California.

qc

Premium Subscriber
New York gives M/A-COM 45 days to fix first phase of statewide network

The state of New York on Friday informed Tyco Electronics M/A-COM that the company has defaulted on its contract to build a statewide LMR network and ordered that “significant deficiencies” need to be remedied by the middle of October for the $2 billion deal to remain in place.

In a letter sent Friday, New York CIO Melodie Mayberry-Stewart wrote that testing of the first buildout area in Erie County and Chautauqua County demonstrated the system performance to be “unsatisfactory and unacceptable,” even though M/A-COM had certified the network as being ready on two occasions.
http://urgentcomm.com/policy_and_law/news/macom-network-fix-0902/

Last edited by a moderator:

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
This is some interesting news that's circulating in the back alleys of the industry.

I wouldn't post this if I didn't have a verified connection to a reliable source in the industry.

Last week, the contract between M/A-Com and General Dynamics which resulted in the production of
service monitors that support OpenSky, was TERMINATED, according to my reliable insider's report.

Goodbye, OpenSky. You will not darken our door anymore.

Furthermore, that same insider is of the opinion that the termination of the 2 billion dollar NYS Open Sky
contract will PROBABLY spell the end of M/A-Com. The company can not withstand a 2 billion dollar hit.

This is news from the grapevine. It's a well-placed grapevine, but should be considered to be
an UNVERIFIED report, and hearsay in the absence of any confirming statements or documents
issued by the company(ies) involved.

Another source also has informed me that the State of Florida is looking to upgrade their SLERS
statewide system, which is an Extended Addressing EDACS system with ESK and full-time encryption,
to full P25 Phase II trunking standards.

This would be a prudent course of action for Florida if indeed M/A-Com is in the dire straits that the
first source predicts. With P25 interoperability, it means of course that they won't be slaved to a
sole source vendor that might not be available in the near future.

"Watch this space for further developments", as the saying goes.

Elroy

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Let's just say I'm not surprised this may happen. I remember someone posting in the NY Forum a few years ago saying that if NY scrapped the contract, it would be doom for the company.
It also sounds like Dougherty should be looking into posting his resume on Monster.com pretty soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.