Nys Swn

Status
Not open for further replies.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
I was just wondering what everyones take is on the upcoming deadline for Ma/Com in regards to the NYS SWN System?

I was watchnig there meeting and saw some good points brought up and did like that someone finally said they need to stop sugar coating SWN Ma/Com and also point out the negitives that come up with the system

I still dont know why my county is still the only one not involved......

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Maybe because your county is the only smart one? Actually no thats not true, St. Lawrence is not the only one, there are many more.

I think its going to die on August 29. I don't see how it can possibly be working by then. Last I head was a 50/50 chance, and in a project this big, with this much time, thats not good.

oh and does anyone know if M/A com is running the system in 2slot or 4slot TDMA? No one seems to know.....

SkyPager

It seems as the OpenSky Is turning overcast --

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/401488.html

Here is just a portion of the entire article

-------- paste --------
State's $2 billion emergency communications system in jeopardy
System's kinks hamper project approval

The state and M/A-COM for some time now have been trying to put a happy face on an assortment of problems with what’s known as the Statewide Wireless Network, an Internetbased system that is intended to let everyone from police and fire to transportation and parks agencies communicate with one another over a common network. Earlier testing showed it failed to work in large sections of Erie County — major parts of Buffalo could not get reception with the system.

Stewart said those coverage problems have been mostly fixed. Two critical components remain, she said: Special devices mounted in vehicles that can send signals from a portable radio being carried by an emergency worker to a tower and the voice quality heard on existing radios already purchased by local emergency agencies broadcast over the new system.

The M/A-COM project has been met with praise and complaints. In Chautauqua County, Sheriff Joseph Gerace said the system has brought vast improvement so far over the current radio networks that offer spotty and unpredictable coverage in the mostly rural county.

-------- end paste -------

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
According two SWN All Counties have either signed or verbally agreed to come on board.

It would make alot more sence to me that counties just upgrade there systems and make sure they all will work together (some type of unity)

gralston73

Premium Subscriber
According two SWN All Counties have either signed or verbally agreed to come on board.

I'm not sure where you got that from...?????

Warren County is not joining...
Washington County just upgraded their whole radio system...and is not joining...
Saratoga County is building a new trunked system and is not joining...

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
depends on you defination of joining...according to SWN a level1 is considered joining....makes their stats look better :)

Bill_White

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Some counties have either signed or have verbal agreements to certain levels of service or use from SWN. For example, some counties may only want to use SWN for its mobile data capabilities. Other counties may want to move some, or all county voice and data traffic to SWN.

Counties that want to use SWN will probably have to invest into expanding the state's coverage to provide better coverage within their own county (in my opinion).

Kevin

Mark01

You can watch it live on the net
Just watched it live,all I can say is Wow,it does not look good for M/A Com Opensky.The guy who adressed the crowd and made the speech listed failure
after failure in the built out test area.. 79% failure rate of the portables does not look promising.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I think what bothers me the most is the fact that all these county know it alls decided to sign up for this mess as Level 1, 2 or 3 partners when the system hasen't even been tested and accepted.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
I would have to say in my option that based on this meeting that Ma/Com will no longer be building a radio system for New York.

It would be nice to see a state wide radio system and have it working I think we are along ways away from that

6m171

The newest article: http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/story/419611.html

State likely to ditch $2 billion emergency radio network
System was plagued with problems during pilot testing in Western New York
By Tom Precious - NEWS ALBANY BUREAU
Updated: 08/21/08 8:19 AM

ALBANY — State officials are preparing to pull the plug on a $2 billion statewide emergency radio network that has been beset with a host of problems during its critical first testing period in Erie County.

The Paterson administration is likely to wait to officially turn to other alternatives until after an Aug. 29 deadline for the project’s vendor, M/A-Com, to meet rigorous state standards for the system’s viability. The system is first being tested in Erie and Chautauqua counties before the state would let it go statewide.

Word of the likely pullback comes as State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli this morning will release what officials say is a scathing report on the tests performed in Western New York. “It will be a very damning report saying that M/A-Com failed to meet a number of deadlines and goals,” said a government official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The official said DiNapoli will recommend to Gov. David A. Paterson that “absent any immediate progress — the contract be rescinded.”

The DiNapoli audit is in advance of an independent assessment of the program by a private company hired to help the state determine if the wireless system should go statewide or end with its troubled testing in Western New York. The contractor’s report, due out next week, also is expected to be critical, officials said.

Paterson offered little optimism for M/A-Com. A new round of budget trimming Wednesday to deal with the state’s eroding finances included $40 million in savings because of “delays” in the wireless network’s implementation. Officials said that certain purchases the state intended to make in the current fiscal year won’t be made because of the delays, meaning it can take $40 million off the books it was planning to spend.

State officials Wednesday night sought to dispel talk that the fiscal move indicates the state is preparing to pull the plug on the wireless system. Jack Downey, a Paterson spokesman, said the $40 million in savings action “has nothing to do with the decision the state will make at the end of this month about whether it will proceed with the project.”

Asked if the project is dead, Paterson at a budget news conference Wednesday leaned over to Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, who whispered something to the governor. “The speaker just said to me it’s not dead, but it’s in critical condition,” the governor said.

M/A-Com officials could not be reached to comment Wednesday night.

The Buffalo News last month reported that a crucial round of testing of the system, pushed into high gear following communication breakdowns during the 2001 terrorist attacks, had been postponed in Erie and Chautauqua counties because of a new set of problems.

The head of the state Office for Technology, Melodie Mayberry-Stewart, told The News that she had begun making contingency plans in case M/A-Com failed to live up to its contract by the end of August.

The system has passed a number of hurdles in Chautauqua County, but officials in Erie County say they have seen a wide array of problems, including spotty coverage, lost signals and poor audio quality.

Erie County itself already has said it will not be full partners in the wireless system, in part because of the equipment and other costs associated with opting into the system.

Proponents, led by Chautauqua County Sheriff Joseph Gerace, have said the state desperately needs to improve communications for first responders. The sheriff cited the communication lapses during the manhunt for fugitive Ralph “Bucky” Phillips.

Lurking in the background has been Motorola, which bid double the M/A-Com offer. It has made clear to state officials, sources say, that it is still very interested in providing statewide wireless services to New York. Whether the state can afford the ambitious system, given its worsening fiscal condition, remains a major question.

It could not be learned Wednesday night how much the state has spent on the system so far. The contract calls for M/ACom to pay all the testing costs, though the state is believed to have purchased some equipment over the past couple of years.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
I will try to find the press release put out today.Doesnt look good for Ma/Com.They also cut the funding to the program I dont have the exact figure

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I believe it was about $50M that was cut. I am assuming those were subcriber and lease costs assuming the system was built.

A few years ago I would have said the best thing would be a state level system. Now I am not necessarily a believer in that philosophy since technology has improved. There are no more technological barriers to creating a system of systems. This is essentially what is going on in CNY right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.