NYS Thruway

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdfile1

/\/\ Junkie
When I lived in Syracuse I would always add 453.425/453.525 to my scanner line up as the radio comms were always interesting and the signals were very strong it seemed like from wherever you were. Good times, good times. And of course the hourly roll call/weather report.

KC2zZe

NYAirOne, I'm surprised that you're aren't hearing anything on 453.4250 / 453.5250. As k2hz suggests above, the pairs aren't just used by NYSP Troop T (7_ series) units and the Authority's maintenance / engineering / administrative (1_, 2_, 3_ or 4_ series, depending on the Division) units, but also by:

- franchise tow trucks (5_ series units)
- the Highway Emergency Local Patrol (HELP) trucks (6_ series units), when they are out (usually during the rush hours)
- contactors (8_ series units; albeit very rarely), and
- the Thruway's emergency service vehicles (9_ series units)

Then there are the all ambulance corps authorized on the Authority's system (e.g.: Tarrytown for the Tappan Zee Bridge, Woodbury Community for the Exit 16 interchange) that ID in the clear.

That's a lot of radios on one system. So much so that unless I'm traveling on the Thruway system itself, I end up locking out the channels. I suggest you check your gear / settings.

Last edited:

k2hz

Database Admin
Activity in the Buffalo and Syracuse Divisions is very light compared to New York and probably Albany. I have never heard any 8 or 9 series units in this area. Unless there is storm or serious accident there can be long periods of silence between Troop T units calling in a traffic stop or 5/6 series units responding to "DV" calls. I include the Henrietta and Batavia Maintenance channels in my Buffalo Division feed and sometimes they are more active than the Buffalo dispatch channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.