NYSP and V-TAC frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Back when NYS statewide wireless network was still a possibly, there were discussiions about new radios installed in trooper's car with new V-TAC interop frequencies. Does anyone know if this is still happening and if so are they being used at all?

D

DaveNF2G

If the State is willing to spend the bux to have it happen, then it will happen.

In many areas, special interop channels are redundant because everybody including the Troopers are dispatched by the same 9-1-1 centers on the same frequencies.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
The State of New York has licensed mobile and portable use on the VTAC frequencies. The only issue is that a lot of troop cars are still running older GE Orion mobiles that A> cant do narrow band modulation, and B> cant do 7.5 kHz channel spacing. NYSP has been purchasing newer Harris M7100 mobiles (basically it's the same as an Orion, just more options available) which can do both.

Another thing to remember is in OpenSky talk, VTAC stands for something else - Vehicle TACtical repeater. These were installed in some of the test vehicles last year, to expand the range of the 800 handheld radios.

Kevin

radiomanNJ1

The V-Tac he is refering to I believe are the interagency VHF freqs. That has nothing to do with RAT PACS as they were called.

Open Sky is actually the SKY IS FALLING. Doesn't work well anywhere.

Another thing to remember is in OpenSky talk, VTAC stands for something else - Vehicle TACtical repeater. These were installed in some of the test vehicles last year, to expand the range of the 800 handheld radios.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

c0untyb0y

The State of New York has licensed mobile and portable use on the VTAC frequencies. The only issue is that a lot of troop cars are still running older GE Orion mobiles that A> cant do narrow band modulation, and B> cant do 7.5 kHz channel spacing. NYSP has been purchasing newer Harris M7100 mobiles (basically it's the same as an Orion, just more options available) which can do both.
Kevin

here in CNY the TIMS cars only have the 7100s installed. I know any new purchases going forward are the 7100s, even though vehicle swaps are still taking the old Orions out and putting them in the new car. even just a couple of years ago the SP Radio Shop didn't even know what the word V-TAC was, let alone U-TAC, I-TAC, etc. so it's like fast forwarding 10 years in radio technology for them. The state knows they're behind the 8-ball on this one with the FCC deadline looming in the near distant future. to make matters worse, the state is broke so don't expect any movement on the radios anytime soon. I can see this now... all troop car radios will have to be replaced in a span of 6 months. good news for radio shops like the one Kevin works for, but it'll be a logistical nightmare (read: "tablet pilot program" for those of you familiar with same) to make it happen. the SP is an agency that likes to procrastinate to the bitter end.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
I can understand the way NYS drags their feet on things. NYSOFT still posesses dozens of 800 licenses across the state from the OpenSky project, and keeps requesting extensions from the FCC for buildout time, even though the project (as far as I see) seems dead.

Are there any areas in the state where SP cars are running something other than GE/Harris VHF radios as primary radios?

Kevin

jsikora

All of the Onondaga County Troop Cars have already been installed UHF radios with the U-TAC Channels in them. This was due to the part of the Onondaga County OCICS Project. In addition Onondaga County has installed U, V, and I-TAC Channels at numeorus sites. Oswego is also working on installing TAC sites at this time. As Madison and Oswego are also both heading to UHF P25 systems I imagine you will see UHF radios popping up in all NYSP cars in the CNY area.

I also know DEC has been adding the VTAC frequencies to all there equipment in Region 7 for both ENCON and NYSFR.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
The nysp have been installing their new radios in my area for the last month and a half i am unsure if the v tacs are in use.155.370 is used for most all police interops here

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
All of the Onondaga County Troop Cars have already been installed UHF radios with the U-TAC Channels in them. This was due to the part of the Onondaga County OCICS Project. In addition Onondaga County has installed U, V, and I-TAC Channels at numeorus sites. Oswego is also working on installing TAC sites at this time. As Madison and Oswego are also both heading to UHF P25 systems I imagine you will see UHF radios popping up in all NYSP cars in the CNY area.

I also know DEC has been adding the VTAC frequencies to all there equipment in Region 7 for both ENCON and NYSFR.

Well the VTAC stuff on DEC sure is a sign of change..

Meanwhile, given how grim the SWN outlook is and every county is just going to make their own trunked system (ie. Onondaga/Albany/Westchester just to name a few) It sounds like they either have their hands full with V/U/I-TAC channels all over the state.

Oh wait, isn't that where we started off the idea of SWN? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.