NYSP Finger Lakes 220 MHz

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
While browsing through recent license updates, I ran across some NYSP frequencies in the 220 MHz range in the Finger Lakes region. The license is WPPE729 and the frequencies are allocated as QM - Non-Nationwide Public Safety/Mutual Aid, 220 MHz. There are other NYSP 220 MHz licenses around the state. Has anyone actually heard anything on these frequencies? I live in Florida and visit upstate New York just a few times a year and would like to know if they’re worth programming and if there’s anything to actually hear. Thank in advance.

k2hz

Database Admin
I see it covers the Troop C area. A license history search shows it was granted on 11/15/1999.
SC:"OPERATION OF THIS STATION IS CONDITIONAL AS OUTLINED IN THE COMMISSIONS 11/10/99 LETTER."
Emission type is J3E (SSB)
I am unaware of any use or purpose but it has been renewed every 10 years.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
From the little that I’ve been able to gather on these frequencies, it seems that at some point years ago there was a plan to use them as some sort of interoperability system but was never really put to use, perhaps not even built out. Another interesting thing is that there are no mobiles licensed for this group of frequencies. I’ll be in the area in October and will plug them in my scanner and post any findings.

Last edited:

k2hz

Database Admin
The use of J3E emission was a generally failed experiment back around the time this was licensed. SSB really didn't work well in mobile VHF applications but it theoretically could have been OK for fixed point to point use.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the updates. I guess it’s just one of those abandoned in place situations. My county went to 800 MHz 30 years ago and still renews many of its former VHF stuff that is absolutely not in use.

kf8yk

I guess it’s just one of those abandoned in place situations. My county went to 800 MHz 30 years ago and still renews many of its former VHF stuff that is absolutely not in use.

There's really no incentive for state/local governments to cancel unused licenses:

1. Renewals are free.

2. The fine for using a frequency unlicensed is up to $10,000 per day of use. The fine for not using a licensed frequency is $ 0.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
It was probably licensed around the time that part of the amateur 220 band was given to UPS to build an ACSB system that they also never built. Hams never got the frequencies back and there are a lot of inactive licenses.