NYSP Large Presence In NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

Anyone know why there seems to be a larger presence of state police in NYC, most notably in upper Manhattan and the Bronx? Talked to a cop friend of mines and he said they don't get along with the NYPD. Also do they use their own state Troop talk group or do they have access to the NYPD system?

D

DaveNF2G

Public reason - to help NYPD with drugs and terrorism.

Political reason - the Governor and the NYC Mayor don't get along.

edisonfire

NYSP

I've seen NYSP patrol vehicles on the Staten Island Expressway in addition to Upper Manhattan and the Bronx

Danny37

They were on the scene of the police shooting yesterday in East New York, Brooklyn. They were heavily armed, now how would they be cordinated to work with the NYPD as it seems they don't have access to their system.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 912

4-crime

The troopers in NYC are using APX8000's so I am more then sure they have access to NYPD frequencies.

15plus1

They responded to back up a brother in blue. To me, that's all that matters.
Ok. 'They' did nothing on their own.. They are pawns being used in a sometimes dangerous game. I have all the respect for the Troopers, having worked with them in the field , in a professional capacity ( not in a court room ). But they are being used. And by all accounts, they are not happy about it.. But they have to do what they are told .

Last edited:

Storm_king

They were on the scene of the police shooting yesterday in East New York, Brooklyn. They were heavily armed, now how would they be cordinated to work with the NYPD as it seems they don't have access to their system.

They wouldn't be coordinated to work with the NYPD. The city doesn't train to intergrate outside agencies into local operations. It comes down to the size of the city police force. On all tours, even on the midnights, there are thousands of personnel working throughout the five boroughs. There are extensive plans in place to move resources around the city to react to incidents as they occur, as well as to hold tours and even recall off duty personnel for additional manpower. When an event like a police involved shooting or the recent hospital active shooter takes place, there will be several hundred officers at the scene within 30 minutes, with many more following on as needed. Even during 9-11, there was sufficient personnel to handle lower Manhattan, other important sites, as well as maintain general coverage around the city. The outside agencies, from what I saw during that time, supplemented NYPD personnel at checkpoints. Having outside agencies show up to offer assistance is always welcome (as we would do the same), and I'm confident that these agencies have the same level, if not better training, but the NYPD bosses will always prefer to use their own personnel, especially when there are more than enough on hand to get the job done.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I saw trooper at one of the tunnels going into the city from Long Island.

What you are seeing are the TBTA Police. The new paint scheme for the TBTA cruisers looks nearly identical to the NY State Police cruisers, escept the shape of the door patch. These cruisers says "NEW YORK STATE" on the rear instead of "STATE POLICE"

Rred

NYPD doesn't lime to talk about it and frequently denies it ever happened, but in the Tamany Hall days the governor of NY actually called in the State Militia to arrest the mayor AND SHUT DOWN the NYC "Metropolitans", the first PD in NYC. That's right, the original "NYPD" has shut down for corruption and replaced, lock stock and barrel.

And the NYPD has had corruption problems, scandals, and other issues including ticket quotas, profiling, some of the worst firearms training in the nation. Ask any gunsmith what an "NYPD trigger job" on a Glock is all about.

When we call them NYC's Finest that just means we couldn't find any better.

OTOH, the State Troopers will point out that their standards and professionalism are pitched to a higher level. Not that they are perfect--but if you thought there was a leak within the NYPD or in a particular precinct, and you wanted to bring in outside players to do a major raid, using the Troopers makes perfect sense. Nothing unusual or improper about that.

Over the years, I have *twice* made a left turn, with a green light, on a 4-lane two-way street. Only to find an NYPD vehicle with no lights or sirens coming right at me, against traffic. That's illegal unless they are on code, and plain STUPID at any time. I have located a car stolen during an armed robbery, two hours after NYPD supposedly began looking, parked with engine cold in a "No Standing Tow Away" zone in a prominent location that was regularly patrolled, with a BOLO out on the car.

There are a number of underpaid overworked honest and good people working on the NYPD, but also, sadly, enough bullies and bozos to make them less than they ought to be. (And of course, that's not unique to the NYPD, either.)

ff026

Feed Provider
NYPD doesn't lime to talk about it and frequently denies it ever happened, but in the Tamany Hall days the governor of NY actually called in the State Militia to arrest the mayor AND SHUT DOWN the NYC "Metropolitans", the first PD in NYC. That's right, the original "NYPD" has shut down for corruption and replaced, lock stock and barrel.

And the NYPD has had corruption problems, scandals, and other issues including ticket quotas, profiling, some of the worst firearms training in the nation. Ask any gunsmith what an "NYPD trigger job" on a Glock is all about.

When we call them NYC's Finest that just means we couldn't find any better.

OTOH, the State Troopers will point out that their standards and professionalism are pitched to a higher level. Not that they are perfect--but if you thought there was a leak within the NYPD or in a particular precinct, and you wanted to bring in outside players to do a major raid, using the Troopers makes perfect sense. Nothing unusual or improper about that.

Over the years, I have *twice* made a left turn, with a green light, on a 4-lane two-way street. Only to find an NYPD vehicle with no lights or sirens coming right at me, against traffic. That's illegal unless they are on code, and plain STUPID at any time. I have located a car stolen during an armed robbery, two hours after NYPD supposedly began looking, parked with engine cold in a "No Standing Tow Away" zone in a prominent location that was regularly patrolled, with a BOLO out on the car.

There are a number of underpaid overworked honest and good people working on the NYPD, but also, sadly, enough bullies and bozos to make them less than they ought to be. (And of course, that's not unique to the NYPD, either.)

What does this have to do with any form of radio communications? This your opinion which has nothing to do with the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.