NYSP Station comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warthog1

Silent Key
I just copied SP Mayfield barracks calling 3G60 on 154.680. I have known that the cars could also use 154.680 simplex, but this is the first time that I have copied the Mayfield barracks on that freq.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
There are several licenses for 154.680 as a base station for Troop G. I don't specifically see anything in Mayfield or Fulton County, but I do see a few licenses for the surrounding counties.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Back during the Y2K scare I know all of the SP base stations up my way were programmed to be able to talk to the mobiles every which way there was - maybe the station you copied is the same?

Mike

Warthog1

Silent Key
The Mayfield station has an antenna, but the last I knew, it was portable 6G330 that they were using in the station. I will keep a close ear on this one.

radiodude817

Premium Subscriber
When the SP upgraded their equipment years ago they got the ability to repeat. When they were chasing Bucky Phillips all around Western NY a few years ago, when ever they had a spotting they would repeat the car to base frequency of 155.535 out on 155.505. Apparently they would disable the local receiver of where they were transmitting from and repeat any selected receiver site in the troop.

This gave them the ability to repeat at the Zone & Troop level. The only other time I heard the repeat mode
engaged again was when they ran targeted raids with other agencies inside the City of Buffalo. These raids lasted maybe a month and everytime a Trooper needed help the system was turned on.

sc800

SP Middletown also uses car-to-car as a dispatch frequency when the 155.535 /154.935 are too busy, or if the troop car isn't getting good reception over those frequencies. They are also known to dispatch over the county's EDACS system on Intersystems.

c0untyb0y

Most, but not all, SP stations have a base radio. These radios are essentially the mobile Orion/M7100 in a GE-Ericsson-M/A Com-Harris base radio enclosure. Typically are programmed to mimic the mobile radio channel lineup but is only programmed for the specific zone frequencies needed. So you may hear a station call a car on the "car to car" channel; yeah it's a bit of a misnomer in this respect!

Coverage issues may be resolved by a Troop Control Point calling cars on State frequency if the Troop frequency is either busy, a tower is down, or coverage is spotty. You won't hear a TCP call on "car to car" though because their consoles aren't programmed for it. If you're hearing a TCP on a county or non-SP radio system, chances are it's another base radio setup next to the primary radio console.

sc800

Thanks. I never realized that. I always thought everything was done off of the consoles. In Orange, I believe SP Middletown has a lot of capabilities not normally used, because they are the rollover 911 center.

sc800

I believe they always were. What you are probably thinking of is the backup 911 center, which is operated by Orange County and is used in case of fire/evacuation/tech problems at the main center.

The rollover 911 center is where calls would get sent to if all of the calltaking positions are busy with other calls. Also, the state police is one of the few agencies in the county left with a PSAP system, from when they answered cellular 911 calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.