NYSP Troop C Sidney on new freq?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
For the last couple of weeks I've been hearing what I think is "(Sidney) station test KJY685... (etc) on 154.695, and that is preceded by the usual bulletins. It's a little weak for me here in NEPA so I'm not making "Sidney" out clearly but I am hearing the NYSP callsigns. However, the RR DB identifies 154.695 as "Statewide Emergency - Bulletins/Special Broadcasts" which it is clearly not. Sidney used to be on 155.655. Something changed... is this permanent? Have their been other changes in Troop C or elsewhere? Should the RR DB be updated?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Or it's just them testing the radio on Statewide? If you're not hearing any other unusual transmissions, then there's nothing unusual going on.

k2hz

Database Admin
Troop D for many years does their station tests and item reviews simul on 154.695 and Troop frequency and I suspect Troop C does the same. The 154.695 is probably done from a distant base station since they key all base stations for the test but some are on "State" (154.695) and others on "Troop" during the test.

The RRDB description for 154.695 as "Statewide" is 100% correct and has always been the primary use of that frequency. Why do you say it is not based on hearing it in normal use for station tests?

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
154.695 has been in my scanners for more than 12 years now, and I would hear item review / station test from Sidney on 155.655. As of about 2-3 weeks ago 155.655 is quiet, and 154.695.... which has been dead silent for years... suddenly has the station test / item review. Perhaps they've changed antenna and / or transmitter configurations. I live at the "fringe" of their coverage in PA but have been listening since the 1970's when I lived in Broome Co.

k2hz

Database Admin
All NYSP base stations have been 2 frequency since they went on VHF with F1 Troop and F2 State. The procedure for tests and broadcasts was to have at least one site in the troop on F2 for the broadcast.

There was a recent thread about activity, or lack thereof, on the Troop C frequency as more zones are dispatched on county systems and the addition of Broome County to CNYICC may impact what base sites are routinely used.

Here in Troop E, the Troop frequency is generally quiet for the last few years.

Last edited:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
I saw that other post regarding dispatching on the county systems. K2HZ thanks for clarifying the two frequency plan, and Quickcall for confirming that Sidney is still active on both freqs (155.655 and 154.695?). For some reason I'm apparently no longer hearing 155.655... and suddenly 154.695 has come alive. If both have been active for a long time perhaps what I'm hearing (or not) are propagation / path changes. I'm just barely within VHF range of Sidney.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
The changes reported in this thread may be related to Sidney becoming the primary dispatch point for all Troop C units. They have clearly become the NYSP dispatch point for Zone 2 cars (formerly dispatched by Binghamton Station), and I am hearing them dispatch Zone 3 cars. I am assuming they are doing the same for Zone 1. At the end of each station test the dispatcher lists 5 or 6 callsigns, ending with KSJ590. Here in southwestern Broome County the 154.695 signal is scratchy, but the 155.655 Ingraham tower signal is strong. I am now hearing Zone 3 dispatches by Sidney while previously I could barely hear Zone 3 dispatches even though I am close to zone 3 and could receive some zone 3 cars.