NYSP Troop E

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

I heard radio testing on a repeater system around Montour Falls/Rt. 414 area and it was coming in rather well in CNY. Does anyone know if this is going to be the new standard for transmission or an emergency-type option? I've always wondered why the NYSP doesn't use repeaters since they seem to have coverage problems. The DEC/Rangers have used it for years but SP is just starting to look into it...?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I've always wondered why the NYSP doesn't use repeaters since they seem to have coverage problems.

Swapping out a base station for a repeater, with all else being equal, doesn't increase coverage by itself.

The inbound signal from units in the field still needs to make it to the receiver, regardless of whether that signal is repeated or is only monitored at the console. Using a repeater in place of a base station where inbound coverage is lacking will only result in a crappy signal getting rebroadcast.

In either case, assuming that the outbound signal has greater range than the inbound signal for a given area, the best solution is to install voted receivers in areas of poor inbound coverage. That can be done regardless of whether or not the signal is repeated, as either way the consoles will "hear" the strongest voted signal from a pool of two or more receivers.

AuntEnvy

Well it increases coverage for me seeing as I can hear mobiles and portables from several counties away.

There must be a reason why they're instituting and testing a repeater and having that option available. My guess is they want better "coverage".

D

DaveNF2G

If your backup is 40 minutes away, then they are probably out of simplex range. A repeater would be useful for allowing the unit on the scene to update the incoming unit, or cancel them before they drive all the way there for nothing.

AuntEnvy

If your backup is 40 minutes away, then they are probably out of simplex range. A repeater would be useful for allowing the unit on the scene to update the incoming unit, or cancel them before they drive all the way there for nothing.

Hence providing better "coverage" ; )

KA1RBI

Either way, still wondering if this will be the new norm or just emergency type ops...

well, rte. 414 / Montour Falls area is at the very epicenter of a pretty major event this weekend, in Watkins Glen. It seems no actual frequencies have been mentioned but in any case I'd suspect this weekend might be prime time for listening in the Schuyler County area...

Status
Not open for further replies.