NYSP Troop F Haverstraw update

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As of 0900 hrs this morning, SP Haverstraw units (Palisades Interstate Parkway) are now dispatched by Rockland County 911 "Headquarters" on 154.725 (151.4 PL).

They will eventually operate on their own talkgroup on the Rockland County Public Safety Communications System, once they have that capability.

MFR230

I heard a lot of chatter on County last night and figured that was the case. Is this to eliminate the middle man(SP Monroe) since all cell 911 calls go to Radio HQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
They're closing the Monroe barracks and feel that Middletown is too far removed from Rockland to effectively dispatch them.

sc800

Who made that decision that Middletown was too far away to effectively dispatch? State Police or Rockland County?

That doesn't even make sense because the Thruway is dispatched from hundreds of miles away in Albany without a problem.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Who made that decision that Middletown was too far away to effectively dispatch? State Police or Rockland County?

That doesn't even make sense because the Thruway is dispatched from hundreds of miles away in Albany without a problem.

The State Police approached Rockland and asked them if they would be interested in dispatching SP Haverstraw. Obviously they felt like it was in everyone's best interest to do so, so let's be careful not armchair QB their decision. :wink:

Besides, 44-Control is much better equipped to handle those duties than a barracks dozens of miles away in another county. For starters, let's remember that SP Haverstraw essentially covers only the Parkway, 90% of which is within Rockland's borders. Secondly, the overwhelming majority of 911 calls for incidents on the Parkway are coming in via cellular 911, which go directly to 44-Control. And lastly, the fact that SP Haverstraw has basically been unofficially dispatched by 44-Control for years. Anyone who listens to 154.725 knows how many times a day you hear "Headquarters to any SP unit on the Parkway northbound near Exit 12...." and whatnot.

The Thruway Authority is an entirely different animal from the NYSP, you can't even begin to compare the two. The Thruway's linked, repeated radio system is a behemoth compared to the hodge podge of full-duplex VHF frequencies the SP uses. They can get away with sitting in Albany dispatching for the entire system, because they've done it that way for decades, and there are only four frequency/PL combos that cover the entire system from Buffalo to Yonkers. Every unit within a Division is on the same repeater, they can all actually hear each other transmitting, and their radios have near full coverage along the entire system.

Radio coverage along the entire Parkway is not that great, considering the SP's transmitter for 155.535 is on Jackie Jones Mtn on the Haverstraw/Stony Point border. Once they move to Rockland's 700 MHz system, they will have total coverage from Bear Mountain all the way down to Fort Lee...and that's portable coverage.

It actually makes perfect sense, and is long overdue.

svfd17

The State Police approached Rockland and asked them if they would be interested in dispatching SP Haverstraw. Obviously they felt like it was in everyone's best interest to do so, so let's be careful not armchair QB their decision. :wink:

Besides, 44-Control is much better equipped to handle those duties than a barracks dozens of miles away in another county. For starters, let's remember that SP Haverstraw essentially covers only the Parkway, 90% of which is within Rockland's borders. Secondly, the overwhelming majority of 911 calls for incidents on the Parkway are coming in via cellular 911, which go directly to 44-Control. And lastly, the fact that SP Haverstraw has basically been unofficially dispatched by 44-Control for years. Anyone who listens to 154.725 knows how many times a day you hear "Headquarters to any SP unit on the Parkway northbound near Exit 12...." and whatnot.

The Thruway Authority is an entirely different animal from the NYSP, you can't even begin to compare the two. The Thruway's linked, repeated radio system is a behemoth compared to the hodge podge of full-duplex VHF frequencies the SP uses. They can get away with sitting in Albany dispatching for the entire system, because they've done it that way for decades, and there are only four frequency/PL combos that cover the entire system from Buffalo to Yonkers. Every unit within a Division is on the same repeater, they can all actually hear each other transmitting, and their radios have near full coverage along the entire system.

Radio coverage along the entire Parkway is not that great, considering the SP's transmitter for 155.535 is on Jackie Jones Mtn on the Haverstraw/Stony Point border. Once they move to Rockland's 700 MHz system, they will have total coverage from Bear Mountain all the way down to Fort Lee...and that's portable coverage.

It actually makes perfect sense, and is long overdue.

One they switch over to 700, will we still be able to hear them on radio headquarters (154.725)?

Sent from my C570 using this tapatalk machinery

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
One they switch over to 700, will we still be able to hear them on radio headquarters (154.725)?

They're going to have their own talkgroup on the 700 MHz system. Dispatching them on County is a temporary solution until they have trunked radios issued/installed.

EDIT: Oh and more importantly...they can't operate on the trunked system until 44-Control moves into the new radio room. There are no 700 MHz consoles in the current room.

sc800

Do you know if they will still maintain any communication with Middletown for administrative assignments, or backing up units on Long Meadow and the Palisades Parkway in Orange or will SP Middletown or Orange 911 landline 44-control?

Also, are they closing just the dispatch out of Monroe, or the whole station?

Spec

Trust me when I say this..Hq's is not going to reliquish control over their units in Troop F ;) With use of MDB and other systems within the SP the mere point of of the originating call for service is just that , the point of origin.

radiomanNJ1

Why is it when something changes for the better people have to make comments about it.
This makes sense and in many other states the SP/HP has local radios to communicate.
Is it not better that they can communicate with the locals without 3rd party operation?
But, don't count on listening to them any more when the 700mhz system is fully operational it will be encrypted just like the rest of the police tgs.
Will they still be able to communicate with SP Middletown of course and in the case of a major incident where they might be in another troop of course they will still have their VHF radios. Troop T cars have VHF radios for local troop operations.
It is a rare concept in our area it's called interoperability.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
But, don't count on listening to them any more when the 700mhz system is fully operational it will be encrypted just like the rest of the police tgs.

This is the second time I've had to correct you on this. The police talkgroups on Rockland's system are NOT encrypted, so I don't know where you're supposedly getting this information from, but it's flat out wrong. The only encrypted talkgroups on the system are the D.A., the Drug Task Force and the Intel Task Force. That's it, period, the end.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
A nice change of pace to actually hear both sides of troop F on one frequency.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
A nice change of pace to actually hear both sides of troop F on one frequency.

It sure is! I'm sure the cars are glad they can hear each other transmitting now, especially when they're on extreme ends of the Parkway. It's also nice that the County repeater has excellent propagation and can be heard for dozens of miles outside of Rockland.

sc800

Chauffer6:

Do you know if the entire Monroe station is closing, or just their dispatch desk?

Also is it possible to hear Rockland's system in the Warwick area?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Do you know if the entire Monroe station is closing, or just their dispatch desk?

I don't have all the details of what they ultimately plan on doing or when they plan on doing it, so I'm not going to speculate.

Doubtful. If you have or can borrow a scanner that receives the 700 MHz range, try tuning in the control channel on 771.65625 and see what kind of signal you get (if any).

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Long overdue and the best solution in my opinion.

sc8...I can receive Rockland's 700 system in Tuxedo along the Thruway and 17. You will probably hear them on the outskirts of Warwick on that side, but probably not on the other side of Mt. Peter. That's on a PSR with a mobile antenna. I'm sure an authorized APX on the system would perform better, but Warwick is still tough, especially with how these LSM systems are designed.

The VHF I hear all over the place outside Rockland...Orange County, Bergen, Essex, Morris, etc. I still love those high mountain high power omni VHF sites, but trunking in this day and age is still the way to go.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Chauffer6:

I am in Goshen using a preamp and can receive System.

Can't hurt to try .

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I agree, it certainly doesn't hurt to try...however it's important to keep in mind that the 700 MHz system uses directional antennas designed to keep as much of the signal inside the county as possible. The one big exception to that is the Jackie Jones site above Lake Welsh, which points almost directly towards Monroe, Chester and Goshen. To get a good enough signal to decode the system reliably in Warwick, you'll probably need a good outdoor antenna with low loss coax.

Status
Not open for further replies.