• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL/XTS5000 O3 head but no Radio ID Alias

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Hi all - we just took in a Motorola XTL5000 from our local PD that still has a lot of life in it. We have all apparatus and personnel outfitted with APX radios and therefore, each radio has an alias associated with it (D.C. 1, Command 804, etc.) These alias’ aren’t transmitted anywhere, just more of a reminder to the crew to see what vehicle they’re in or to track radios easier. When I go in to add an alias to this XTL, it is greyed out. My XTS allows for an alias, but not the XTL. It is running R17x firmware.
Any chance there’s an easy fix?

Thanks! -Dan

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You're referring to User Info, under Radio Wide? The User Info isn't supported on the XTLs. I thought you initially were talking about radio aliases (MDC/Astro call lists). The Radio Wide>User Info is only available on portables, most likely due to the fact that the XTL5000 never supported anything other than M5/O5 heads which don't have enough lines of text. The O3 came later, and the ROS was never updated to exploit the head's advanced display, whereas the APX does.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
Yes, that’s exactly what I am talking about and you answered it perfectly! Thank you so much for the reply.
Dan

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Not a problem. I have a couple XTL's left in service on my system and I own a VHF and UHF R1, one with an O5 and one with a W3. The W3 is actually a great head. I actually prefer them over the O3s.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The W3 is actually a great head. I actually prefer them over the O3s.
Why the preference? I have the W3 and was thinking of getting another radio with the O3 instead as it seems easier to read and more information. Perhaps I am overlooking something and you clearly have experience with both. Thank you.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
IMO the display is easier to read in bright sunlight, the keypad buttons are larger and easier to press. They are also cheaper and plentiful whereas the O3s are current products and priced accordingly. Also, FWIW, I've never had a "cord rot" strain relief wise on the W3 heads but O3 head cord strain reliefs are known to crack.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@MTS2000des Thank you for that. Yeah, the W3 is definitely less expensive. My eyesight could use the brighter backlit display though. I don't have much trouble with sunlight in the vehicle or at home where I use the W3 with an XTVA. Zero cord rot on any of my W3 control heads as well.

Thanks again. I'll probably avoid the O3. My HHCH button's are almost the same for each radio making it easy to control and keep my eyes on the road.

thedanderzone

Feed Provider
I've been lucky enough to use both heads too, and the W3 is probably (at least right now) the better option, simply based on price and ease of use. Our eventual plan is to upgrade to an APX in place of this XTL, so we somewhat future-proofed the head at least. Either that or the XTL will come out with the O3 head and be placed in a supervisor vehicle. The plan is up in the air, but we have more options with the O3 head.

The O3's buttons are pretty small when compared to other heads. Makes for hitting unintentional buttons much easier.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It was a want more than a need really, but the firsthand experienced shared here has helped me to just stay with the W3. I use an XTL5000 in the vehicle and now that I have two XTVA's with portables I will just stay the course. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.