OASIS at Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

ee43Hj2wEt7M

Premium Subscriber
Maybe this is a silly question but I can't figure out what I'm seeing. On my BCD436HP, I seem to get no transmissions at all in the evening. I've avoided the Waukesha site as I'm rarely out that way when listening to OASIS departments. Is there some evening thing going on such as reduced power? I have the Diamond SRH77CA antenna so wouldn't really expect complete loss of signal in the evening. I think I see DAT while scanning during these times so I'm not sure what to make of that. Scanner works great during the day, and confirmed with Broadcastify that there was plenty of traffic (ie. MCSO was busy last night).

djeplett

Are you for sure monitoring all the possible control channels? It's possible the system is switching to a different control channel that you do not have programmed in. Make sure you have the primary and alternate (red AND the blue) control channels programmed in from the database.

VASCAR2

If you avoid Waukesha site your deleting all the simulcast sites in Waukesha County where there are six sites. If your not in range of the Milwaukee County Simulcast sites you might not receive any traffic. Here is link to the map showing the Waukesha sites.

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
One thing to consider is interference and ducting caused by the hot humid weather...traffic from other neighboring systems may be playing havoc with your decoding of the system control and voice channels. In the analog days, this was much easier to detect as you could actually hear the offending systems. On the old Milwaukee County analog SmartNet system, during the summer we would routinely hear voice traffic break in on our talkgroups from a system over in Michigan! Just yesterday, on my vehicle radio I was picking up control channels of other trunked systems on the 800 MHz tactical frequencies 8TACWHITE and 8TACBLUE. If I had to place a bet, I am guessing this is what you are experiencing. The 436HP is a poor performer on the OASIS simulcast system to begin with.

ee43Hj2wEt7M

Premium Subscriber
I checked and do have all the control frequencies in. I’ve avoided the Waukesha site because I’m far closer to the Milwaukee towers (generally on the lake shore region). I’ll try enabling Waukesha at night and see if that helps, but good to know that it may just be limitations to the scanner. It usually works great during the daytime hours though!

What’s the leaders in handheld scanners that would be better for OASIS?

djeplett

SDS100. Or if you don't mind a learning curve for programming, the Unication G4 or G5 pagers. The Unication is awesome, but it's not a scanner so it doesn't have the usual scanner features.

ee43Hj2wEt7M

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for putting a 600$ purchase in my future o_O the unication looks awesome. I’m seeing some comparisons on YouTube that even the sds100 doesn’t perform as well so probably not the optimal use of funds. Thanks!

goldmyne99

You may wish to check out a Blue Tail Tech P25RX unit for the future. Mine works very well on OASIS in simulcast areas. Not really a handheld, but portable with a usb power pack. They are a bit hard to get right now, however.

mancow

Database Admin
Thanks for putting a 600$ purchase in my future o_O the unication looks awesome. I’m seeing some comparisons on YouTube that even the sds100 doesn’t perform as well so probably not the optimal use of funds. Thanks!

I've had both and I disagree. I found the SDS to be equal to it.

ee43Hj2wEt7M

Premium Subscriber
Fair enough. I already have the scanner so for a similar cost I get a purpose built thing for what I listen to most of, and can use the scanner for all the other vhf/uhf stuff where it works fine.

ee43Hj2wEt7M

Premium Subscriber
Unication G4 works great, highly recommend if your primary goal is P25 monitoring. The programming app is horrid but with some YouTube videos you can get it programmed pretty easily. Already confirmed receives in the evening that my BCD436HP completely missed or only partially captured.

Status
Not open for further replies.