Obama jobs bill includes nationwide public safety network

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk262

Premium Subscriber
The American Jobs Act, which President Obama announced before a joint session of Congress Thursday, includes a proposal to auction spectrum and to set aside spectrum for a nationwide public safety network.

The provisions are part of an effort to expand wireless broadband to 98 percent of Americans and spur innovation, according to a White House fact sheet about the bill.

Obama jobs bill includes spectrum reform - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
Only problem is to expand to 98 percent of the people to get them wireless broadband, except they need affordable firewall broadband. The only company by me wants $300 for install and equipment and it is $49.99 a month for 1.5 down.
I hope if they give them our hard earn tax money that they make sure they cut the rates.

carfix2000ca

Only problem is to expand to 98 percent of the people to get them wireless broadband, except they need affordable firewall broadband. The only company by me wants $300 for install and equipment and it is $49.99 a month for 1.5 down.
I hope if they give them our hard earn tax money that they make sure they cut the rates.

I doubt that will happen. The working sucker will keep working and the recipient will keep receiving. If anything rates will go up as will taxes

D

DaveNF2G

There is no "Obama jobs bill." He wants Congress to write a bill that will include all of his kitchen sink proposals. Maybe the nationwide network will be included, maybe it won't.

talkpair

Keep in mind that 98% of the population ISN'T the same as 98% of the land within the borders of the United States.

This creative language is used quite often by the big players and seems to be overlooked by a lot of people.....investors, customers, regulators.

A USDA statistic says that 97.5% of the land in the United States is considered to be rural, while a 2000 census statistic says that only 16% of the population live in rural areas.

Ponder that.

chankel

Premium Subscriber
Let's stay on topic. First, some prior proposals have included stealing all or part of 70 cm from amateur radio operators. This is unacceptable and unnecessary. Second, if JWIN didn't work and is falling apart, how would this be any different? Third, there is already the capability to link or crosspatch existing systems to create wider network. Fourth, the larger and more complex something becomes, the more failures / problems occur. Fifth, there are already a number of authorized interop frequencies that can help to meet this need, and there will be more once 700 MHz opens up. It makes no sense to try to reinvent the wheel when we already have the resources available and in many cases are not using them effectively.

My $0.02

mm

You also forgot that his other part of the plan is to give away free spectrum operation to LightSquared for the use of adjacent channel GPS spectrum.

What he has forgotten is that one of the largest GPS manufacturers is an American Jobs providing company, Garmin, and that the total GPS comercial market sales is a Multi billion dollar industry in the US alone.

He is willing to kill a multi billion dollar sales industry just to reward his friends who are donating millions to his and every other senators and representatives re-election campaigns just so that that extra 15 % of the rural population can have wireless internet.

Typical politicians who cannot do simple math.

Mike

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I'm still trying to figure out WHERE the almost 1/2 TRILLION DOLLARS is going to come from for this supposed Jobs Bill! Oh, that's right - blame it on Bush!

Thayne

There is no "Obama jobs bill." He wants Congress to write a bill that will include all of his kitchen sink proposals. Maybe the nationwide network will be included, maybe it won't.

Obama likes anything to do with "Kitchen sink proposals"---I wonder if anyone would be surprised at the ways he uses his kitchen sink? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.