"Object Oriented" scanning operation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
Looking to understand a little more about how the TRX1 operates, under the hood.

Let's say I have 5 objects in a scanlist. Then, I add one of those objects to 3 other scan lists and enable those also.

Does the scanner:
a) Scan the duplicate object 4 times as it sequentially moves through each object and scan list in order (Scanning 8 total objects)
-or-
b) De-dupe the contents of all enabled lists so that duplicated objects get the same duration of scan time as others (Scanning 5 total objects)
-or-
c) something totally different?

As you might imagine, I have one object assigned to multiple scan lists that I often will enable together. I'm curious if this approach will 'slow down' the scanner at all.

Thanks!

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Leaning towards C as A is not correct and B is halfway there.

The object is independent of the scan lists. The one object can be assigned to multiple scan lists, but it is still only a single object in memory. For this reason, nothing is being duplicated and therefore the scanner does not "de-dupe" them either. It recognizes the enabled objects using the enabled scan lists and then scans that object once per pass. 5 enabled objects in any number of scan lists still means 5 enabled objects.

An analogy would be Student A (object) being a senior (scan list 1), on the football team (scan list 2), and part of the ham radio club (scan list 3). If you call all seniors and football team members to a meeting, Student A is only going to show up once.

So to address your concern, it does not slow down your scanner to have the same object assigned to multiple scan lists. If you are manually duplicating objects (twins instead of the same student), then that would be a different story.

djs9164

What happens if you duplicate a trunked system? Does that scan each system twice?

baker50021

Duplicating a system is only going to allow the scanner to spend more time on that system, if that is what you want to accomplish adjust the dwell setting higher

djs9164

Duplicating a system is only going to allow the scanner to spend more time on that system, if that is what you want to accomplish adjust the dwell setting higher
I was told to program each site of a multi site system as their own system with their own talkgroups. Is this not effective? Is their another way that's better?

baker50021

Lets define exactly what is meant by multi site, in the context of "duplicating sites" I assume that you meant the same frequencies were used at multiple locations (sites). In this senario I can see no benefit of having the sites listed separately.

If you meant there are mutilple sites with different frequencies then by all means program those sites in your geographic area.

djs9164

Trunked system with multiple sites. Each site has a different control channel. There are 3 sites which U monitor. It was suggested to me to duplicate each site and program each site as its own system. Locking out 2 sites for each system. This way I have 3 different systems each containing one site and its own talkgroups. If there is a better way sugg stions are welcome.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I was told to program each site of a multi site system as their own system with their own talkgroups. Is this not effective? Is their another way that's better?
This can be an effective way of programming if your goal is to force the scanner to check specific sites, especially if you are in an area where you can receive a lot of sites well.

The older PSR-500/600, Pro-106/197/651/652, and WS1040/1065 had an option to force the scanner to check every single control channel, but the newer object oriented scanners removed that feature for whatever reason and decided to force the scanner to stay on whatever site it thinks gets the best decode. This is often a problem as many multi-site systems operate on the principle of affiliations and generally only carries talkgroups used locally. The only way to get around this attempt at dumbing down the scanner is to duplicate your programming with each site as its own system so that the scanner is forced to check each "system" for activity.

This can help increase the amount of traffic you can receive and give you greater control to guarentee that you can monitor something specific. If everything was programmed into a single system and your scanner decides that the site in the neighboring city is the "best" site, then you might be stuck listening to the neighboring city and missing all the traffic for your own city. In another case, if you really want to listen to something exciting happening in the neighboring city, but your scanner stops on your local city's site, then you might not hear any of the action because they are not using your city's site.

Ubbe

A TRX scanner checks each site in a system for activity that matches the TG's programmed to the system. If you have TG's that only appear on site 3 in a system it will monitor them if the TG's that only appear on site 1 and 2 have no activity. The only way to select and deselect anything in a TRX scanner are by scanlists, that you turn off and on by entering its number from the keypad, and those are only associated with TG's in a system.

You can move individual sites up and down in the list of a system to get the important one at the top. If you want to control what site you monitor in a system you have to make one system for each site, and then export all TG's from one system to the others and set different scanlists to them. If there's no TG's in a system it will automaticly be skipped over.

If it's a big and busy system it could be more wisely to have each site in a seperate system, because when one user releases his push to talk button the TRX scanner immediatly starts to search all sites in a system for that TG to go active again, which could take a lot of time depending of the number of other currently active TG's on the voice channels that each one needs to be decoded and rejected. Instead of spending one second in one system with all sites, it will spend one second times the number of extra systems created with only one site. Other systems will suffer as they will be scanned less often and conversations missed.

One could make one system with all sites and it's TG's with one scanlist number and then make other system with one site per system and each one has it's TG's associated with different scanlists so it will be possible to use either philosofy by selecting and unselect the different scanlists.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.