Obsessed with Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannersnstuff

i either have a portable radio going all of the time <few exceptions that i want some quiet>. i have a spare room almost entirely dedicated to my "command center". my portables double as my car radio's. i almost alway's bring 2 radio's on a road trip. if i take the half signal somewhere,she alway's say's "are you going to be bored sitting in the car ?". i say "not with my radio's along". note - don't try this at your wedding. spending 3 day's recovering in the trauma unit wasn't my idea of fun !.

HillWalker

I suppose I could say I'm obsessive or at least very enthusiastic. I've two hand helds which I use, one at home and often bring one in the car to monitor local Ambulance/Fire frequencies or else just taxi and security frequencies. That's pretty much all that's left in my area.

scannersnstuff

My female companion can't understand why I like to listen to the scanners all the time (I have two now).'course I can't understand why she likes cats.

because it drown's out the sound of their voice's ?. oh boy. see ya' all when i get out of the trauma ward again.....

JPOMP

Obsessed is a strong word. Lets see, On my computer desk I have my Radio Shack Pro-433 base scanner, a GRE PSR 500 handheld scanner, a Radio Shack Pro-76 handheld scanner plus my ham radios. An Icom IC-725 HF ham radio and a Yaesu FT-60 2 meter-440 handheld radio and somehow I still have room for my computer! I am also a volunteer fire lieutenant so my Motorola UHF hand held and my Motorola Minitor V pager are here also. Last but not least I have a Uniden BC350C on my night table next to my bed but I don't have a scanner in my truck so I'm not obsessed, just well equipped.

SlickNick

Are you obsessed with your Scanners? For example, Did you dedicate a Scanning Time? Do you have a Corner or room JUST for scanners and Radio Eq.? Do you have scanners in your car? Does your Spouse yell at you often about spending more time with the Eq than you do with them? Finally, Do you take a Scanner/Two-Way/CB to the Store or Park with you?

If you answered yes to any of these... well... you are obsessed!
So anyway, do you take your scanner to public places with you. Like the mall or Walmart, and I mean inside with you.

Sometimes I have done this!

I take my scanner with me quite often, thats why I boought it!

bunger

Ok
Where do I start ? I am an active volunteer firefighter.

So for monitoring Fire Calls I have the following:
Minitor in bedroom.
(5) Scanners in Kitchen, Living Room, Basement, Garage.
Pro-433 mounted in dash on my Chevy Tracker, Pro-528 handheld used when driving my H3 or my wife's 4Runner & a Yaesu 177 portable w/ shoulder strap when on actual fire calls

For listening to things other than fire calls, in my den I have (7) scanners powered up including a Pro-433 and various handhelds and base units. Listen to everything from public safety, aircraft, railroad, town highway, school buses, even the local senior citizen's transport bus. (sick huh !!)

I also have a collection of vintage scanners ( approx. 15) most of which are in working condition, including an Electra Bearcat IV, a 10 channel Craig, a Fox BMP 10/60 and a bunch of early Bearcats and Realistics.

Am I sick ? Do I need help ?

My family is ok with all of this. It seems they have all of this noise tuned out. My wife doesn't even wake up for the fire tones anymore. Most of the time she doesn't even know that I left for a call.

MPDAL

Hmmmmmm in my younger days my girl friend would shout very loudly "I play second fiddle to a radio" whenever I keyed up the 2 meter rig. Does that make me a bad person????

tawest11

My obsession has only just begun. I used to just listen when I knew something was happening. Now I listen on a daily basis, several times a day but usually in the evenings. Since finding the Radio Reference website, I have been listening to feeds all over the country.

Desertduty

I have listened to the airwaves for only a few days but, I can see where the obsession comes from. There is a lot going on that normal folks have no idea about.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I guess you could say that I'm obsessed with scanners and radios. I've been listening to scanners since I was about eight and a licensed ham since I was a teenager. I have several scanners and radios. I have one in each vehicle, I have two that run 24/7 in my house, and when I'm in a vehicle with no scanner I grab one of my five handhelds and take with me. I'm not allowed to carry one at work but if I was I probably would. I don't, however, take them into a public place with me. I don't want to draw any attention. I try to have one with me, though, at all times to be in the know of anything going on.

73s

Chad

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well...umm...maybe? I have a 996xt on the shelf in the bathroom that HAS to be loud enough for me to hear over the shower when I'm in it.:lol: (just kidding!)
Obsessed,Nahh!

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Obsessed?? Who said I am.. SHH wait! I need to hear this BOLO... Ok where was I?? Oh yeah .. Hang one got a fire call going on... No I am not obsesssed...:twisted:
Oh I forgot.. I also run one of the lovely feeds for others that are obseesed,..I mean interested in the hobby...

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiewheeler

Obsessed? I don't know, but I keep one going low volume overnight (a holdout from the days I'd listen for the fire tones to go off and see if I could make some money taking pictures). I have one with me at all times, it's like my cell phone. I even carried thru airport security once. That was 13 or 14 years ago I don't think you'd raise as many eyebrows today. Everybody has some sort of electronics strapped to them now and the scanners aren't big/heavy like bricks anymore. It's a lot easier to blend in with your earbuds in now too, everybody thinks you have an ipod. I have a radio desk for my scanners and ham gear and they're on if I'm home. The only time they get turned down is for company, sleep, or tv.

JamesPrine

I lost all my radio equipment in Katrina except for two Radio Shack scanners...a PRO-76 and a PRO-92.

But now I have added to my collection with two PRO-163s, a PRO-433, a PRO-137, a Bearcat BCD-396XT, a PRO-57, and amateur gear including a Kenwood TS-530S, Yaesu FT-817ND, a VX-170 2-meter HH and an Icom A6 aviation transceiver, with a little Midland WR-100 rounding off the lot.

None of these radios is for listening to, or transmitting with...they're just for show.

Thank goodness I'm not obsessed with radios...

<big grin>

tneff

Obsessed sounds so nasty :) , one in the truck hasn't been turned on in a couple of months. Usually only have it on if there is major traffic or listening to weather. Four or five in my office/man cave, one stays on and is being used for my feed but the others probably need to be checked to see if they still work. I go through periods where I listen everyday for a few weeks, then they go silent for a while as well.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
Websters defines obsession as:
a persistent disturbing preoccupation...

Some how that just doesn't quite explain it (with apologies):
These are my scanners. There are many like them, but these are mine.
My scanners are my best friends. They are my life. I must master them as I must master my life.
My scanners, without me, are useless. Without my scanners, I am useless...
My scanners are human, even as I, because they are my life. Thus, I will learn them as brothers.
I will learn their weaknesses, their strengths, their parts, their accessories.
I will ever guard them against the ravages of weather and damage...

I will ....

emd001

does carrying one on my hip while out on my motorcycle with a headphone in one ear listening count as a symptom of being obsessed?

Status
Not open for further replies.