Obsessed with Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyishere

Are you obsessed with your Scanners? For example, Did you dedicate a Scanning Time? Do you have a Corner or room JUST for scanners and Radio Eq.? Do you have scanners in your car? Does your Spouse yell at you often about spending more time with the Eq than you do with them? Finally, Do you take a Scanner/Two-Way/CB to the Store or Park with you?

If you answered yes to any of these... well... you are obsessed!
So anyway, do you take your scanner to public places with you. Like the mall or Walmart, and I mean inside with you.

Sometimes I have done this!

pathalogical

No, I am not obsessed. In fact, I'm not listening to any of my scanners now. I sit here in my basement typing this, but my four handhelds are up in my bedroom, where I usually do my listening. I'll sometimes bring one down here and reception is still good with regular ducky. I rarely take them out of the house - I can't see the need for one in my car when I'm just driving to the grocery store. Unless something out of the ordinary is happening, I'm just a casual to moderate listener.

andyishere

No, I am not obsessed. In fact, I'm not listening to any of my scanners now. I sit here in my basement typing this, but my four handhelds are up in my bedroom, where I usually do my listening. I'll sometimes bring one down here and reception is still good with regular ducky. I rarely take them out of the house - I can't see the need for one in my car when I'm just driving to the grocery store. Unless something out of the ordinary is happening, I'm just a casual to moderate listener.

Lol. Im surprised that I found someone without a vehicle scanner.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Had scanners for YEARS but have none in the car. Would be illegal if I wasn't a licensed HAM. I don't own any portable scanner, only BASE units. Mostly just do background scanner listening and wait for something big to happen. Also, provide a feed to RR for this area.

KC9LVX

georgew0819

re: obsessed

Yes on all counts. I've got a corner of the room for my scanners and radios. There isn't a day that goes by in which I don't listen to my scanners or radios. And yes I bring a 2m/70cm with me when I leave the house.

The best thing about being obsessed is that the straight jacket has plenty of straps to hang my radios and scanners from!!!!

foo9777

Maybe

Am I obsessed, maybe, I still have my first scanner from 1966 a 6 channel (crystal) Sonar still works. I have a total of 9 scanners now. 6 on my desk, 2 handhelds in the bedroom, a mobile one in my pickup. Today I hooked up my 246T to my Sync Radio in my car (wife's) and it worked great. So ya a little obsessed.
But it's fun.
Jim

mibzzer15

Ive got a gre psr-300 and i literally take that everywhere....sometimes my coworkers and I will listen to it during work, but i take it to grocery store, other store, literally everywhere....I almost wish i had a housewide speaker system like an intercom to play my scanner through the whole house....would be so much fun....

NYRHKY94

Here you go:

Are you obsessed with your Scanners? YES For example, Did you dedicate a Scanning Time? YES Do you have a Corner or room JUST for scanners and Radio Eq.? YES Do you have scanners in your car? YES Does your Spouse yell at you often about spending more time with the Eq than you do with them? YES Finally, Do you take a Scanner/Two-Way/CB to the Store or Park with you? YES

andyishere

Ive got a gre psr-300 and i literally take that everywhere....sometimes my coworkers and I will listen to it during work, but i take it to grocery store, other store, literally everywhere....I almost wish i had a housewide speaker system like an intercom to play my scanner through the whole house....would be so much fun....

Just turn the volume up! Thats what I do all the time... then I get yelled at of course. I took a handheld Scanner into Wal-Mart about a month ago and I happened to be wearing a Blue Shirt and some guy stuck in snow came up to me and asked, " Are you a EMT or FireFighter, Im stuck in the snow and can't get the car out. " I told him no and that a Firefighters/EMT job is not to get you out of snow. They are here to help injured or to attempt to extinguish a fire, so call a Tow Truck.

Matthew49ers

I have a 2 way radio that I carry with me when I go out in public, got an earpiece with it, so I can listen without anyone else getting annoyed by it. When I'm home online, I go to this site and see what there is to listen to. I mostly listen to the Fresno Police Department.

emd001

when im in my county i carry my HT i got from the fire department scanning FIRE, EMS, and Police freqs. If im not in the county i always have my 369t scanning everything that is in that area....got it all programmed with quick keys depending on where i am going or where i am. I scan my county 24/7 unless the police are being really annoying at 3am then i just monitor fire while i sleep. Before i was on a VFD i had a scanner with me 24/7. Amazingly im still married lol.

D

DaveNF2G

Even answering YES to all of those questions does not add up to "obsession."

mciupa

Database Admin
No, I'm obsessive compulsive, I must turn my scanners on and off ten times then wash my hands until they are raw before I start listening to them
fing28.gif

whiskeytango

i got one in the car and one in my room, being a pool guy i drive allllllllllll day so some days ill scan all day if theres a lot goin on. and maybe a half hour on my way to sleepytown

dkemple1

It seems like my listening time comes in modes. Sometimes I will listen to them all day long for month or so, and then I won't listen to them for a while. I do listen to my ham radio every weekday morning while on my way to work. There are 2 guys talking every morning and I just listen to their conversations. Sometimes they have pretty interesting stuff to say. I love monitoring them, don't do much talking but I like to monitor.

Austin4Wyo

I have a second, older scanner that I sometimes have in the car, but otherwise, no. I've got my PSR 500 set up next to the computer, and I generally keep it on if I'm awake, but low. I have a tremendous ability to hear when PD sends two units, which means that there's usually something more or less important going on. Somehow, some way, I can hear that happen even over the din of whatever TV show I'm watching or whatever loud music I'm listening to.

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but I certainly do enjoy the hobby.

CrabbyMilton

I guess you may say that I'm obsessed to some extent but I don't want to be cured of this. When I 'm home, the scanner is always on even if it's parked on a single channel or talkgroup when watching TV. I'll often take it in the car with me.(Who needs music). I don't take it to work but I have a feed on the pc for when I'm not on the road making my delivery rounds.

nova1010

Not obsessed here I listen to my scanner when I feel like listening,however I do have a corner of a room wich is my half of the spare room the wife has the other half who doesn't yell at me for listening because she wears headphones :) and the only time I take a scanner in my van is when I'm dragged off to the funny farm(inlaws).

Status
Not open for further replies.