OBX Coast Guard Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrova

I've searched, and I'm just missing it all together, or whatever.
I'm also heading to Hatteras Island (Avon) in a week. I've used RR to load most all the Highway patrol, sheriff, fire, etc. frequencies that I can into my psr-500. But I'm not sure that I found any that were coast guard. I'm wondering if there are any of the Coast Guard frequencies that I will be able to pick up...either general stuff or their rescue or helicopter frequencies.
I've got the scan list that Tim Moore (k4jar) has given in response to some of the others, and thanks for that, Tim, but are there any other specific coast guard frequencies that I can get? Or, maybe they're included in the ones I already have?
Thanks for ya'lls help!
SV

ecps92

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/United_States_Coast_Guard

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Marine_VHF_Channels

Should help you out.

I've searched, and I'm just missing it all together, or whatever.
I'm also heading to Hatteras Island (Avon) in a week. I've used RR to load most all the Highway patrol, sheriff, fire, etc. frequencies that I can into my psr-500. But I'm not sure that I found any that were coast guard. I'm wondering if there are any of the Coast Guard frequencies that I will be able to pick up...either general stuff or their rescue or helicopter frequencies.
I've got the scan list that Tim Moore (k4jar) has given in response to some of the others, and thanks for that, Tim, but are there any other specific coast guard frequencies that I can get? Or, maybe they're included in the ones I already have?
Thanks for ya'lls help!
SV

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
USCG use the Marine VHF channels heavily.

USCG helos can also be heard on UHF mil air and HF...

Ripped from another thread...

USCG UHF (New Channels)

345.0 Operations Primary AM Mode
237.9 Operations Secondary AM Mode
326.15 Air-to-Ground Primary AM Mode
379.05 Air-to-Ground Secondary AM Mode

USCG HF Channels ( * is most commonly used by Helos)

3053 3056 3119 3122* 4730 4733 5693 5696* 5699 8980 8983* 11196 11999 11202 13218 13221 15082 15085 15088 17988 17991

mrova

thanks!

I can use that, I think. Now, using the win500 software then, can I connect to RR to somewhere in the database and get back to these frequencies or do I need to manually put all these in? I've not been able to find these using the software/RR database that so far. And, I'm guessing that most of these are conventional channels? (still learning here)

Ocguard, you list a bunch of number across the bottom on your post as coast guard HF channels. Now, that, I do not understand. Are they numbers that I punch in somehow into the 500? If you could help me figure that out, I'd greatly appreciate that!
SV

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Hello,
You will hear the most activity on the USCG freq's. The county Pd is pretty quiet down south.

Specifically,

There may be activity on others but in general these are the most active based on my yearly trips down there.

The HP is all but un-receivable since they rarely venture down the island and the fact that they are a not on a repeater.

FD is fairly busy with water rescues.

The freq's on the bottom of the post above are for shortwave receivers, not a PSR unit.

And as a note, watch your speed down there. When it says 35mps they WILL pull you over at 40....And don't miss the original Bubba's BBQ in Buxton!!!

Dave

CCHLLM

In addition to the above, USCG 22A (157.100) is very active, and the HIRS repeater (154.250 PL 186.2) is almost always active immediately after EMS/rescue is dispatched on 155.280 PL 107.2.

ecps92

Those were HF Frequencies [many Scanners do not do the Short-Wave Band] for Long Distance

I can use that, I think. Now, using the win500 software then, can I connect to RR to somewhere in the database and get back to these frequencies or do I need to manually put all these in? I've not been able to find these using the software/RR database that so far. And, I'm guessing that most of these are conventional channels? (still learning here)

Ocguard, you list a bunch of number across the bottom on your post as coast guard HF channels. Now, that, I do not understand. Are they numbers that I punch in somehow into the 500? If you could help me figure that out, I'd greatly appreciate that!
SV

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Those USCG channels (156 / 157's) are conventional channels. I'd just enter them manually.

The HF channels (like 5696) will not be received by your scanner.

Dave

mrova

thanks!

Thanks for all the help. You've got me pointed in the right direction and I'll use some time this coming week to get it all in. Then, if all goes well...to da beach the next week! Woo-hoo!
sv

ecps92

For the CG LandMobile channels, it would be interesting if you hear anything as well.
Give a little Report back as to what you heard.

Thanks for all the help. You've got me pointed in the right direction and I'll use some time this coming week to get it all in. Then, if all goes well...to da beach the next week! Woo-hoo!
sv

mrova

you've been

very helpful. I'll keep it on and when I get back, will post an update to let you know if I hear something interesting. I think I've put all these frequencies, and then some, a mix of everything, into the scanner. I might even just load all these into my sportcat 180 just for the heck of it and see how the 500 and 180 compare.
sv

Mork

Premium Subscriber
Hi all:
I'll be vacationing in Duck 8/16 -23. Would someone be kind enough to email me any UASD compatible files for the area? (bringing my 396) I also understand there is a ham repeater that covers the area very well. Can someone advise the freq/pl. Thanks.

doc WB2EQE
dr.m.levine@sbcglobal.net

mrova

trip update...

Well, I went through all the links you guys provided, and the frequencies you gave here, loaded them all in my 500. Nothing real exciting going on, pretty quiet. I did hear lots of coast guard calling out to ships, but I never could hear the ship captain talking back to the CG - why would that be? The sheriff dept. and the ems folks were pretty quiet - an occasional speeder, a few interesting domestics, and a hook in the foot out on the beach - not too exciting. But I did notice that the communications of the sheriff and ems folks was a bit "fuzzy" and weak most of the time. I played with the attenuator(?) but I don't think that helped. Is there anything else I could have tried?

The most exciting thing? That would be buying the pound of scallops and the big chunck of wahoo and grilling out on the beach that night. The only thing that could top that was the next night when we bought a pound and a half of the JUMBO shrimp, letting them steam and spice 'em up real good - putting them in the cooler and heading out on the beach. Supper that night was a salad and peel and eat JUMBO, GIGANTIC shrimp with the water lapping at the feet - it just don't git much gooder than that - scanner or no scanner!

Thanks for all the help!
sv

ecps92

CG typically has many HIGH sites and the ships could be out beyond the range of your scanner.
The other option is the Ship was using a Low Power Portable, again beyond the reception range
of your scanner.

Well, I went through all the links you guys provided, and the frequencies you gave here, loaded them all in my 500. Nothing real exciting going on, pretty quiet. I did hear lots of coast guard calling out to ships, but I never could hear the ship captain talking back to the CG - why would that be? The sheriff dept. and the ems folks were pretty quiet - an occasional speeder, a few interesting domestics, and a hook in the foot out on the beach - not too exciting. But I did notice that the communications of the sheriff and ems folks was a bit "fuzzy" and weak most of the time. I played with the attenuator(?) but I don't think that helped. Is there anything else I could have tried?

The most exciting thing? That would be buying the pound of scallops and the big chunck of wahoo and grilling out on the beach that night. The only thing that could top that was the next night when we bought a pound and a half of the JUMBO shrimp, letting them steam and spice 'em up real good - putting them in the cooler and heading out on the beach. Supper that night was a salad and peel and eat JUMBO, GIGANTIC shrimp with the water lapping at the feet - it just don't git much gooder than that - scanner or no scanner!

Thanks for all the help!
sv

kc4jgc

Repeaters

Hi all:
I'll be vacationing in Duck 8/16 -23. Would someone be kind enough to email me any UASD compatible files for the area? (bringing my 396) I also understand there is a ham repeater that covers the area very well. Can someone advise the freq/pl. Thanks.

doc WB2EQE
dr.m.levine@sbcglobal.net

On the OBX:
145.11 W4PCN Kill Devil Hills pl 131.8
146.94 W4PCN Powells Point pl 131.8
442.85 W4PCN Powells Point pl 131.8

In southern Virginia Beach:
146.97 W4KXV
444.95 W4KXV pl 100.0

The VB machines are located on a city tower that is almost 100% all water path to Duck. Net Mon-Sat 2100 on 146.97.

Enjoy your stay..

Status
Not open for further replies.