OBX Military Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
I've posted already in the North Carolina forums but no one really had much military info.

I'm looking for any suggestion for interesting military monitoring in the Outer Banks (OBX), specifically up north in Corolla. I know Oceana is nearby but I'm not sure what else is in that area.

Any suggestions?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm not all that familiar with the area, but here are a few places that you can go to get started;

A. Go to the Military Monitoring wiki article for mailing lists and web pages and search for the Milcom Eastern NC Blog link. Since you mentioned Oceana, the Hampton Roads Scanner Page has a nice list; select Government freqs, then from the pull down, select Oceana. Jack Painter - someone who I think has been on this board from time to time - submitted some good stuff, it looks like...

B. There's a Yahoo group for the Carolinas - I don't know if they have any OBX stuff but it's worth asking

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/carolinascanner/

and there's an OBX-Scanning yahoo group, too. It's much smaller but might be worthwhile.

C. Finally there were a few messages regarding OBX scanning on the MilAirCommschat Yahoo group (that link is also in the wiki) just recently.

That oughta keep you out of trouble for awhile!

Love that red cat, by the way....73s Mike

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks....actually I have been doing my home work and have hit most of those you mention (but not all). I'll continue looking...it's hard because there is so much info...I was hoping for a little local knowledge to held wade through the mess of frequencies so I didn't have to spend time searching down there.

I want to spend most of my vacation time drinking and scanning....not searching.

Thanks....the kitty is actually a little less red in person.

scan11788

If you find any milcom for the OBX please post them or at least a link.
I'll be in Corolla also at the end of July.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Will do. Hopefully most of them will be posted here but I'll add anything else I find.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
I recently visited OBX and had good luck with the freq's in the attached mem file. (Ch 800-900)

If you do not have ARC250 you can right click it and select "open with" and open it in wordpad or .xls to manipulate it for your software.

Dave

Attachments

• OBX2006.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 127

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks I'll see if I can sort through it and pick out some freqs.

What part of the area did you stay in and what was most active on the scanner?

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
scan11788 said:
If you find any milcom for the OBX please post them or at least a link.
I'll be in Corolla also at the end of July.

You'll be there before me so please follow up and let me know what you heard or identified....where are you staying?

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Audiodave1 said:
I recently visited OBX and had good luck with the freq's in the attached mem file. (Ch 800-900)

If you do not have ARC250 you can right click it and select "open with" and open it in wordpad or .xls to manipulate it for your software.

Dave

Very helpful. I feel good that I had most of these already but there were certainly a few very useful ones I didn't have. Hopefully I'll hear a little more of the action while I'm lounging.

Perhaps Airforce1 will do a fly-over while we're on the beach ;>

Audiodave1

Database Admin
The USN / AF range freq's were the most active. Some refueling comms off shore and a fair amount of traffic from Sta. Elizabeth City.

Enjoy!

Dave

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Audiodave1 said:
The USN / AF range freq's were the most active. Some refueling comms off shore and a fair amount of traffic from Sta. Elizabeth City.

Enjoy!

Dave

Thanks again. I have most of them in now. I'm sort of excited to hear the military air stuff since I don't get anything at home. I'm not sure my scanner knows how to stop on something between 200 and 400Mhz.

I have quite a few things in...I left out most of the real southern areas down by Avon and Hatteras Village since they are pretty far away from Corolla. I have chosen not to put in most of the VIPER frequencies (unless you think they are worthwhile) since I don't have digital and I don't think there will be much traffic on them in Corolla.

I have a whopping 245 frequencies in my OBX system now so I should hear something. I've also decided on the drive down to just search around and leave most of the regular banks quick key'd off to see what I hear. I'm sure there will be all sorts of interesting activity to keep my wife awake.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Hello,
Glad I couold help.

I put the Viper freq's in to see if any CC's were active...none were from Hatteras where I stayed.

You will actually be surprised how quite things are radio wise most of the time. The USCG was by far the most active in mid June (157.175 specifically on land and sea)

enjoy!
Dave

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Actually quiet isn't too bad. My family will have FRS radios which I suspect will be much of my traffic. I am looking forward to hearing the lifeguards so we get a little advanced weather warnings. Beyond that everything else is icing on the scanner cake....but I'm sure it will be fun even if it is quiet.

Now the real question...will my BR330T hold up to the beach environment??

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
It's the sand, salt air, humidity and WATER that worry me. I'll have to ask in general if anyone has a method to protect a scanner on the beach. I'm sure they'll love that.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Hello,
That's simple for beach use. Put it in a ziploc bag with the zipper at the bottom of the radio, zip it up and scan away.

A hole for the antenna and you are good. Adjusting the volume and squelch is a little tricky if it is a thick freezer bag though.

I also usually use a cheap earphone, just poke it thru the bag where you need to.

This has gotten me thru many a summer at the beach with no issues.

Dave

Dank

NC MilAir

I will be heading to Carolina Beach in early August and I plan on bringing my scanner too. You may want to check the South Carolina forum for freqs from Shaw AFB as well as the SEALORD controller. I have yet to complie a programming file, but I did get a good response. I believe it was from posts I made on the SC forum.
Good luck.

scan11788

Hello All.
Made it down to Corolla. Set up theBC780XLT and programmed some of the freqs in AudioDave's .mem file. Unfortunately I'm using my son's MAC notebook for the internet access, which I'm not too familiar with.
Thought that it would be alot busier, GK freqs are active.
I'm trying to make an Apple TextEdit (?) file with the active freqs. Any one here Mac-savy?
A few F-18's and an E-2c have flown over while we were on the beach.
We're staying up near the Currituck Sheriff's office (Schoolhouse Lane-Oceanside), the Currituck Lighthouse is across the way. I'll try and make more posts (today's cloudy w/ chance of showers).

CORN

Premium Subscriber
To answer about the beach wear on your scanners. I just returned from Pensacola Beach and my scanners, a Pro-97 and BC-296D were either on the beach with me or outside in the salty, breezy air of my hotel balcony and they held up just fine. I even nocked my 97 into the sand while not paying attention. Just blew the sand out and it kept on ticking. I've been taking my BC-296 with me to the beach for awhile now and have had no problems. Yours should stand up ok. Unidens are pretty tuff. The only thing you should concentrate on is securing it from an sticky fingers that walk by. Have fun.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
scan11788 said:
Hello All.
Made it down to Corolla. Set up theBC780XLT and programmed some of the freqs in AudioDave's .mem file. Unfortunately I'm using my son's MAC notebook for the internet access, which I'm not too familiar with.
Thought that it would be alot busier, GK freqs are active.
I'm trying to make an Apple TextEdit (?) file with the active freqs. Any one here Mac-savy?
A few F-18's and an E-2c have flown over while we were on the beach.
We're staying up near the Currituck Sheriff's office (Schoolhouse Lane-Oceanside), the Currituck Lighthouse is across the way. I'll try and make more posts (today's cloudy w/ chance of showers).

I know exactly where you are...making me jealous since I won't be in Corolla for another week or two. I'm expecting it to be fairly quiet down there on the scanner. Forgive my ignorance but what is GK?

Status
Not open for further replies.