OC EMS Zone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt3212

OC EMS Zone 4 is now in use. Effective yesterday at 0900 Squad 30 is no longer using EMS-1 (VHF). They are being dispatched on OC Alert Channel (UHF) & Communicating on EMS Zone 4.

elias1988

Feed Provider
It's nice to be able to hear them now,would like to see the remaining VHF squads switch over.

emt3212

I agree. It took a lot of money and radio purchases to get here. The Best part. We are the only EMS unit able to talk on the fire bands too (except Surf City) that we know of. That was the biggest hurtle. From what we are told, most of the dispatchers were pushing for us to be on fire zone 4 not EMS zone 4.

elias1988

Feed Provider
From what we are told, most of the dispatchers were pushing for us to be on fire zone 4 not EMS zone 4.

I would have to disagree with that,there's enough departments assigned to Fire Zone 4. EMS should only belong on their assigned EMS TG(s) Plus there's Common TGs (Public Safety and Disaster) and the public safety back up channels to communicate with fire for interop. It should be interesting to see if any new fire and EMS TGs are created for the 700 MHz system.

Last edited:

elias1988

Feed Provider
I'm sure securing the funding to purchase radios and pagers is going to take some time in order for the remaining squads to switch over to the TRS and UHF paging just like emt3212 said with Squad 30. Looking at the radio ID list in the wiki some VHF squads have some radios already (probably portables),I recently seen Barnegat EMS radios pop up.

I would have thought that squads would wait for the new 700 system. While the system is still a ways out, it's not like the equipment they purchase now can be used on the new system.

The Best part. We are the only EMS unit able to talk on the fire bands too (except Surf City) that we know of.

In your radios, do you actually have Fire Zone 1-5? And, if you don't mind me asking, what was the reason your department switched to the TRS?

elias1988

Feed Provider
I would have thought that squads would wait for the new 700 system. While the system is still a ways out, it's not like the equipment they purchase now can be used on the new system.

Actually the current radio equipment can be tied into the 700 MHz system (thanks to this great piece of equipment from Motorola: http://www.motorolasolutions.com/we...ic files/MOT_Smart-X_Data_sheet_EN_070511.pdf) and would run as phase 1 digital until the newer phase 2 radios are purchased. This is how the state did it with their system.

Last edited:

elias1988

Feed Provider
Yes that's the plan as far as I know of,seems like the SmartX was put into place last year since there's only one console ID (65520) and radio firmware was updated.

emt3212

They had all the radios already (Same Radios they use for Burlington County), they just needed the pagers and county approval. County has told the squad for the last 2 years to wait for the 700MHz system. Well, they have waited..... and waited..... and forget it, we want to switch. The more important reason is communication. It's getting harder and harder for county to hear squad 30. Hunterdon Kills them on the bleed over. Both fire & PD are on the trunk system why not ems?

emt3212

In your radios, do you actually have Fire Zone 1-5? And, if you don't mind me asking, what was the reason your department switched to the TRS?

Sorry, I didn't see this part before. Yes, we have our bank A (EMS Zn 4, NE R-1, Fire Zn4, and goes on from there), Bank B (All Ocean County EMS), Bank C (All Ocean County Fire), then it's banks 1-9 which are all Burlington County programed banks (includes Bucks Co. PA Channels that Burlington County units use.)

Status
Not open for further replies.