Oc Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

THACKMASTER

I have heard remours that Orange County Fire Departments will be going digital very soon. Can anyone who has knowledge about this give me some feedback. I hope they do not decide to encrypt it, although I dont know why they would.

karldotcom

Where did you hear that? I would think OC would buy some water dropping helos before digitizing the rest of their network.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify, I have made statements in the past that they *MIGHT* possibly someday in the future switch to digital. I have said this in response to the "Which scanner should I buy to listen to Orange County Fire Department" questions.

I have no knowledge of this actually happening, but at this point, I would imagine that it could happen fairly easily since all their subscriber units should be P25 capable by now and the infrastructure already has been P25 capable since the new system was built. I've been told that once all of the equipment is in place, it is simply a matter of flipping a switch.
The Fire Service as a whole is very different from the law enforcement side of things (obviously) in that they are generally not ready to adopt the whole digital thing yet. Check out this report by the Phoenix FD as an example:

http://blog.tcomeng.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/phoenixfireradioreport.pdf

Some of it is pure baloney, some of it is good IMO, but you can see where some of the resistance comes from.

The Fire Service really has no need to encrypt. The only exception to that could be the ALS base hospital contact TG's (6B thru 6K) and even then, there are usually no names or other sensitive bits of information passed.

Just wanted to clarify my statements and make sure I'm not leading anyone astray:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.