Ocean City Airshow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ra7850

We've just made arrangements to visit Ocean City to see the airshow. We will be staying at Rehoboth Beach in Delaware and heading out from there. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go to have a reasonable view of the airshow without the chaos of being physically Oceanside in Ocean City?
I'd like to get there early enough to see them come in as well. Does anyone have information on where/when the performers will be arriving? I would guess the out of town military performers would probably stay at Dover AFB.

Thanks
Robert

Mark

Premium Subscriber
In the past Jet team performers rest at Wallops Island and the F/18 demos come straight
from Oceana NAS 10 minutes travel by air for those guys so you have to be up on the beach
to catch the action.Most of the Prop performers come out of the local OC airport.
Coast Guard helo demos come in from Atlantic City.Dover flyby C-5/C-17 straight from Dover.
Mostly a narrow beach only show in the past.
OC has had bad luck with airshow weather last few years in early June.. Rain or sunny days with Coastal fog from cold water offshore breezes.
Maybe they'll get lucky this year.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Bump...the show should go on this weekend - hot weather predicted. Be sure to report what you hear.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here's what we have for Oceana NAS, Wallops, Dover and (from Airnav) Ocean City airport. As far as the OC stuff, if it can get validated, it should be entered into the database;

Dover Air Force Base Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Oceana Naval Air Station Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Wallops Flight Facility Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Ocean City Airport

CTAF/UNICOM: 123.05
WX ASOS: 119.025
PATUXENT APPROACH: 127.95
PATUXENT DEPARTURE: 127.95
CLEARANCE DELIVERY: 121.75

Perhaps you can hear the various performers coming in and leaving from their base to come to the show on the approach/departure freqs

Mike

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Slightly off topic but.. Anybody have a current list of the Ocean City fire apparatus and Paramedic units and where they're all stationed out of? I'm listening to the fire feed today for the 1st time since last fall and there's units on the air on calls that I've never heard before. There was a Paramedic 7-3, 7-4 earlier and a 7-4-1 a few minutes ago. Their website is outdated and the RR wiki isn't matching anything heard on the air today.
The feed is very choppy and keeps dropping so I didn't catch the fire units but what I could pick out those didn't sound the same either. Are these reserve/mutual aid units in service for the fireworks today? Did they do a modification of the Worcester "Station 700" that is assigned to them? Is this something different? Am I hearing things? Anybody with any info?

ocguard

Slightly off topic but.. Anybody have a current list of the Ocean City fire apparatus and Paramedic units and where they're all stationed out of? I'm listening to the fire feed today for the 1st time since last fall and there's units on the air on calls that I've never heard before. There was a Paramedic 7-3, 7-4 earlier and a 7-4-1 a few minutes ago. Their website is outdated and the RR wiki isn't matching anything heard on the air today.
The feed is very choppy and keeps dropping so I didn't catch the fire units but what I could pick out those didn't sound the same either. Are these reserve/mutual aid units in service for the fireworks today? Did they do a modification of the Worcester "Station 700" that is assigned to them? Is this something different? Am I hearing things? Anybody with any info?

I knew this change was coming, but wasn't sure what the timeline was...

Ocean City has decided to change their apparatus numbering scheme to reflect the station from which the unit responds. The leading "7" is in fact referring to OC's Worcester County designations, and eliminates the need for OC units to say "Ocean City ##" when the go to Worcester County.

The new numbering scheme is:
7- (Ocean City's countywide designation)
1- station number (1-5)
1- (the third number may or may not be used, but would differentiate multiple like resources from one station)

For example:
Station 1 (headquarters) has two paramedic units, so they would be designated Paramedic 7-1-1 and Paramedic 7-1-2

Station 4 (North End) has only one paramedic unit, so it's designation is Paramedic 7-4

The scheme is applicable to all apparatus.

Also, I've been given this information 3rd hand, so if anyone has clarification or corrections, please feel free to interject.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Re:

Good deal. From listening off and on the last few days that's how I was taking it but you never know unless you ask, right? All I could find when I was searching the internet the other day was an obscure mention in March that all fire/EMS units in town were now numbered following the "placarding system" but it never gave mention of what that system actually was. It doesn't sound like that will be too hard to keep track of with the new numbers but it will take quite a while before it "sounds right" again. Thanks!

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
I knew this change was coming, but wasn't sure what the timeline was...

Ocean City has decided to change their apparatus numbering scheme to reflect the station from which the unit responds. The leading "7" is in fact referring to OC's Worcester County designations, and eliminates the need for OC units to say "Ocean City ##" when the go to Worcester County.

The new numbering scheme is:
7- (Ocean City's countywide designation)
1- station number (1-5)
1- (the third number may or may not be used, but would differentiate multiple like resources from one station)

For example:
Station 1 (headquarters) has two paramedic units, so they would be designated Paramedic 7-1-1 and Paramedic 7-1-2

Station 4 (North End) has only one paramedic unit, so it's designation is Paramedic 7-4

The scheme is applicable to all apparatus.

Also, I've been given this information 3rd hand, so if anyone has clarification or corrections, please feel free to interject.

If station 1 has two medic units manned they are designated Paramedic 7-1 and 7-1-1.

Same goes if they have two engines manned they are engine 7-1 and 7-1-1.

Before the change when they responded with Worcester County units they would respond as Engine 701 or Paramedic 701 or Tower 705 and so on.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I liked the Engine 701/Tower 705 way better just because of Sussex running units in the 70's as well. Odds are unless you have a once a decade job like the Dough Roller you probably won't have a lot of those units on the same calls but it just seemed to work better. But as I said that may just be because this system is new and as I get used to hearing it it'll seem more natural.

Anybody have a complete list on what the new numbers will be for everything station by station? I've been trying to guess along by what's on their website but that info is a few years old. I'm not sure what's been moved around or replaced lately.

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
I liked the Engine 701/Tower 705 way better just because of Sussex running units in the 70's as well. Odds are unless you have a once a decade job like the Dough Roller you probably won't have a lot of those units on the same calls but it just seemed to work better. But as I said that may just be because this system is new and as I get used to hearing it it'll seem more natural.

Anybody have a complete list on what the new numbers will be for everything station by station? I've been trying to guess along by what's on their website but that info is a few years old. I'm not sure what's been moved around or replaced lately.

Actually calling the Engine 701 and Tower 701 or Engine 703 and Tower 703 you know which station they are responding from. The numbering also keeps with how the rest of Worcester County stations work.
Only thing I would suggest changing is instead of calling the two engines at station 1 Engine 7-1 and 7-1-1 call your first Engine out 701 and your second Engine out 701B. Same with the Medic units. Call them Medic 701 and if they run a second Medic unit call it Medic 701B.
As far as what units are at what stations I believe stations 1,2,3 and 5 have the newer Engines. The snorkel is at 5. The Towers are at stations 1 and 3. The squad that was at station 3 moved to station 5.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I think the Engine 701, Tower 701 and Engine 703 and Tower 703 would have been better. It does follow along better with Worcester and still identifies the station it's out of like you said. But coming from an area that had a good numbering system that had a county numbering system that was worse thrown on us which included A's and B's and all of that I'd stay away from that if I could.
It wouldn't match up with Worcester exactly but keeping everything 3 digits with the station number 2nd would still work as well. Then you can run Engine 731, Tower 731 (or replace the 1 with a 0 if there's only 1 of that type of apparatus at that station) out of Station 3 and you'd have Engine 711, 712, Tower 711 at HQ's with Paramedic 711, 712. The Squad that moved from 3 to 5 would be 751, etc... But like I said what they went with seems to work, it just just doesn't look "right" when compared to the way the rest of the county is running and compared to how it has been forever. But once it's been around for a while it'll seem normal again.

Oh, I do have 1 other question though. Which might conflict with the way I was thinking would have been better of them to have numbered things. What were the changes, if any, to the "white hats"? Previously the Chiefs were using 51,52, etc. Correct? Did they just change that to 751, 752 or have they done something different with the Chiefs and Officers and FF numbers?

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
I think the Engine 701, Tower 701 and Engine 703 and Tower 703 would have been better. It does follow along better with Worcester and still identifies the station it's out of like you said. But coming from an area that had a good numbering system that had a county numbering system that was worse thrown on us which included A's and B's and all of that I'd stay away from that if I could.
It wouldn't match up with Worcester exactly but keeping everything 3 digits with the station number 2nd would still work as well. Then you can run Engine 731, Tower 731 (or replace the 1 with a 0 if there's only 1 of that type of apparatus at that station) out of Station 3 and you'd have Engine 711, 712, Tower 711 at HQ's with Paramedic 711, 712. The Squad that moved from 3 to 5 would be 751, etc... But like I said what they went with seems to work, it just just doesn't look "right" when compared to the way the rest of the county is running and compared to how it has been forever. But once it's been around for a while it'll seem normal again.

Oh, I do have 1 other question though. Which might conflict with the way I was thinking would have been better of them to have numbered things. What were the changes, if any, to the "white hats"? Previously the Chiefs were using 51,52, etc. Correct? Did they just change that to 751, 752 or have they done something different with the Chiefs and Officers and FF numbers?

Chief is 750, assistants are 751,752,753. Fire Marshals are in the 780's. Career EMS officer's are in the 740's. Chief of the entire FD Volunteer and Career is 701.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I heard 751, 752, and 753 run a 10-50 about this time last night so I was figuring that was about right. I'd never get 701, the 780's and 740's. Still a few units on the call I'm not sure who they were with the new ID's but there was a lot of traffic due to the fact the 10-50 had 6 patients and they had a few other EMS calls stacked they were trying to get units to along with another smell of smoke in a building call. Just a matter of time listening now. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.