Ocean City Beach Patrol radio network change

Status
Not open for further replies.

saber2k5

As of July 15, 2017 the beach patrol has switched from their VHF system to a single talkgroup on the EDACS system, talkgroup 677, analog. Per an OCBP official, this is a permanent move. He explained they have more of the EDACS radios available than the ht750 and 1250s.

Overall, the coverage is much better than the single site VHF system. But the radios are much heavier. There have been complaints that the output volume level is much lower than the Motorola system.

I am speculating they had access to many of the radios that were removed from service by other users that recently left the ATL county EDACS network.

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber
Just got your PM on this! Major bummer for me! I've always liked hearing them on VHF! Scanners I bring with me won't be as active anymore! I just got a Motorola Minitor VI VHF 5 Channel Pager a while back and have Fire/EMS tones as well as OCBP in it! Will the VHF Channel be "Dead Dead" or is there a slim chance for a patch? I thought they were ditching the EDACS fully since radio upgrades? Or was the switch part of a "We should jump and this! Free/Cheap Radios" Deal? I have a 436HP, but don't really see it being practical for me to get since I'm only down for a week, and nothing near me needs/has EDACS! Can the Whistler WS1065 do EDACS? I do bring 1 of those down usually! Never figured it would come to that! I just pray FD doesn't change! Scanner will be of no use anymore in Ocean City!

liketoscan

Ocean City NJ

I have a 12 yr old Yupiteru MVT-7100. Am I able to pick up the new Ocean City Beach Patrol freq? I know nothing about EDACs or talkgroup 677, analog. Another question is this radio able t pick up Ocean City police? I have tried scanning the 800 mhz and have had no luck. If not could you suggest a scanner that would pick up the new beach patrol freq. Thank you very much for any help you can provide

portroyalbirdy

Premium Subscriber
A bit of an update on my end of the change: I was wrong the EDACS part, my BCD436HP will do EDACS as it is. Just not the Provoice portion, which PD operates on, unless I do the $50 upgrade, which I don't really need for the week or a few days out of a year that I go down! Haha! Have to check on my Whistler models yet! Thank You for the update(s) Saber2K5! Both PM's and on the board! It feels a lot better not to be blind sided later! Haha!

liketoscan

Ocean City Beach Patrol & Police

Saber2K5 if I purchased a Whistler TRX would that pick up the beach patrol and the police in Ocean City NJ. Thank you for your helpful advice as it is greatly appreciated

Devilz311

I'm not sure of the date, but OCPD may be transitioning to the Atlantic County P25 system soon. It is already being simulcasted in the clear.

liketoscan

saber2k5- Sorry for my lack of knowledge but are you saying no radio even with provice will pick up the PD in Ocean City NJ. Thanks on the beach patrol info and I will shop for a scanner that has EDACS and maybe Provoice. Sorry some of these terms on this page I have to look up. I am just looking to get a scanner that can monitor these two. Thank you. Your time is greatly appreciated and opinion/knowledge is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.