Ocean City FD paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

Ok quick and dirty I KNOW Ocean City has 2 paging frequencies, 158.8950 which is F1 and 154.0850 which is F2. in
Cape May I am only hearing dispatching and units call ing \ing-service on 154.0850. I know Ocean City also is on a trunked system. I want to know why I'm only hearing F2? Is F1 used at all? Do some dapartments use F1 and some use F2! What's the status?? Thanks

Last edited:

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Unless things have changed since I was last there last Summer the units were dispatched on 158.895 and then operated on the 154.085.
But, again, it’s been 10 months since I’ve been down there so I’m not sure if things have changed.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The RRDB shows 155.100 is the VHF patch of their dispatch tg, and 158.895 is a patch of the Fire1, Fire2 and Fire3 tgs. Seems to be new with their 700 MHz system.

Oops, never mind - these for the entire county.

OCFD has 5 stations, but it is one department and operates on the same channels.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What is Ocean City using to call EMRC? Are they using the MD 1st System now for their med channels? since they are in region 3?
It is an interesting question, but I would think they would use the Worcester County MED tgs as their systems are networked.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
What is Ocean City using to call EMRC? Are they using the MD 1st System now for their med channels? since they are in region 3?

Ocean City is in Region 4 and they use Worcester system, Region 3 is the Baltimore Metro Area. Cecil County is technically a Region 4 County, but they use Region 3 talkgroups on the MDFirst System

MIEMSS Communications has a lot of information online about there Communications system here - Communications Engineering Services

The map attached is a little dated, but not much has changed

Attachments

• Communications_Map_2012.pdf
    515.7 KB · Views: 46

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
The OP is in New Jersey.. Ocean City, NJ not Maryland

in Cape May I am only hearing dispatching and units call ing \ing-service on 154.0850
Seems to me as if he's trying to monitor OCMD from Cape May NJ. My assumption if one was to try to monitor from 60 miles away is that one channel's repeater output (F1) wattage might be far greater than the output of the second channel (F2). Or perhaps the latter channel no longer carries a patch to the TRS. 700/800 generally does not propagate 60 miles out from the closest tower as VHF does

ocguard

Anything further on this? Is OC still using 158.895mhz for fire paging? I know they were testing two-tone-over-P25 last summer. Is it possible that they've switched to this and deprecated the VHF paging channel?

Also, as far as I know, 154.085 was never a paging channel, only a rebroadcast of TRS fire operations talk groups for Minitor pagers to hear.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
In Ocean City, the EMS minimum crew are paid personnel, so no need to alert / blow a siren.

ocguard

In Ocean City, the EMS minimum crew are paid personnel, so no need to alert / blow a siren.
Kinda true. However, knowing several guys who work career in OC, the EMS units have absolutely no alerting, which means that they must monitor the radio actively for their entire 24-hour shift. This may not sound like a big deal, but it's kinda the industry standard to have some sort of selective-calling in place for crews, even in they are on duty in station.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Basically the FTO's purpose is to call volunteers from home via pagers and or house sirens. With an all-career EMS staff who are on duty at a station, theoretically there is no need for tones to be sent over a radio channel. Some organizations don't even play the dispatch radio channel in stations unless equipment from that station is being alerted - it is thought that not constantly playing the radio reduces stress. Many of the station tasks that used to be performed by FTO - opening doors, turning on lights, increasing volume on the station radio (and more) are now done via CAD.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
I believe they now have separate living facilities for both Career and Volunteer at the stations and separate alerting system in the respective areas.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I believe they now have separate living facilities for both Career and Volunteer at the stations and separate alerting system in the respective areas.
Yup, one of the benefits for live-in students is a private room with a desk for studying. Not sure if these rooms are available in all stations, or just HQ and the new station in WOC.

guyiv

Feed Provider
OCFD still has volunteers that have VHF pagers. Last I heard that we are using both frequencies. Two tone paging is working on both VHF and P25.

EMS does have their own 2 tone paging tones.

Live In rooms are in HQ, 4, & 5.

rmiles

Anyone have an accurate and verified list of quick call tones for OCMD? I have verified the tones on the RR wiki page do not alert a pager and they aren’t part of any standard tone scheme. OC has historically used GE/Ericsson/Harris equipment so it stands to reason they also use the GE tones.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have an accurate and verified list of quick call tones for OCMD? I have verified the tones on the RR wiki page do not alert a pager and they aren’t part of any standard tone scheme. OC has historically used GE/Ericsson/Harris equipment so it stands to reason they also use the GE tones.

Check again my friend, my pager has alerted with no issues on the VHF channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.