Ocean City Marylands Mobile Communications Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrolman123

I was in Ocean City recently and was lucky enough to get some pictures of the new communications truck. The truck is equipped with an extra 100 portable radios, cellular service from all carriers and satellite phones. It has capabilities to tap into all counties on Marylands eastern shore. It has hook ups for satellite and cable television. The trucks apparent cost was one million dollars. Enjoy the pictures...

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,582
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,580
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,408

jim202

Looks like the truck was built by LDV. Too bad you didn't get some more details on just what 2 way radio stuff it has.

What did they do about any radio interop issues?

EDACSTECH

This vehicle was built by LDV & includes 6- M/A-COM M7100IP 800MHz Provoice Trunked / Conventional Mobiles, 1- M/A-COM M7100IP VHF Trunked / Conventional Mobile, 1- M/A-COM M7100IP UHF Trunked / Conventional Mobile, 1- Motorola ASTRO 800MHz Trunked / Conventional Mobile, 1- Uniden Digital Trunked Remote Mount Scanner, 1- 4 Channel 800MHz EDACS Trunked Repeater System, 142 - EDACS 800MHz Trunked PCS Handheld Radios, ACU1000 for Interoperability between Mobile Radios & Phone. Alvarion 802.11B/G AP for Mobile Hot Spot. Satellite Data & Alvarion City broadband data equipment. Tellular Service from Verizon, Sprint & Cingular. Satellite Phone service. XM satellite radio, GPS navagation system, 6- color cameras & thermal camara. 2 - 12KW Diesel Gensets. Panasonic Toughbook Laptops, Zetron Paging Encoder, AED & other misc video equipment.

patrolman123

MSP command vehicle

That thing is huge. I would have thought that they would have put a light bar on the rig..
The other thing is that I thought it was gonna be a tractor trailer style vehicle. This vehicle looks long not to have some type of pivot point. Also look at the way it sits down in the rear. It must be very heavy back there...... I cant what to see the entire vehicle. Wonder where it will be based once MSP takes delivery of this unit....

Last edited:

reptileguy

that is big i would hate to drive it. cant see how they can turn it looks like a tractor trailer but the trailer fixed to the truck

EDACSTECH

I think I was told that the MSP Vehicle is 52' long. It would never get around Ocean City very well. I am sure it will be very nice. We have our vehicle loaded almost to the 30,000 MAX LBS.

ffemt25

Premium Subscriber
i cant wait to see it when i go to oc in 2 weeks

lol that thing is really cool looking
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Looks like a complete waste of money for O.C. to me.
Ask yourself honestly why this is needed?
Fancy cameras and radios for what?
Terrorists storm boardwalk and shutdown the arcardes?
Life Guards overwhelmed with lost kids and sharks?
I think spending of some of this so called Homeland security money has been
ridiculous.
Who sold OC on this almost useless cash cow? He gets my vote as salesman of the year.
Don't get me wrong as I like the techno stuff here and is nice vehicle but is it really needed?

Mark

Last edited:

MD7018j

Mark said:
ridiculous.
Who sold OC on this almost useless cash cow? He gets my vote as salesman of the year.
Don't get me wrong as I like the techno stuff here and is nice vehicle but is it really needed?

Mark

I completly agree. I think that funding would be much better used in other departments. I don't see any practical uses in the Ocean City area, but maybe other counties.

EDACSTECH

Mark said:
ridiculous.

Mark

The primary purpose for this vehicle is to provide a stand-alone communication system that could be used after a weather related event if radio communications systems are disrupted. It also functions as another backup PSAP dispatch center. Every time a major storm hits an area, the reports are that communications were lost, including the recent storm in Kansas. This vehicle is also designed and ready to respond to the Eastern Shore and beyond. We hope that it is never needed for such a major disaster but include this tool in our emergency plan to help respond and recover if needed. I also think that some homeland security spending was ridiculous, but not in this case. This forum is for people that spend time scanning radio calls and know the value and mission critical nature of radio communications.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I can understand if it was a Maryland regional area emergency truck like for the Eastern shore etc.
Just seemed at first glance to be a little over the top just for OC.
Course I'm sure every town would like on of these..
Nice pics by the way.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.