Ocean City Rebanded Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDACSTECH

The Ocean City, Maryland EDACS "WIDE" system has rebanded to the following configuration.

LCN-1 859.9875MHz
LCN-2 856.5375MHz
LCN-3 855.2375MHz
LCN-4 859.6125MHz
LCN-5 856.7375MHz
LCN-6 857.7375MHz
LCN-7 858.7375MHz
LCN-8 859.7375MHz
LCN-9 858.2875MHz
LCN-10 856.2375MHz
LCN-11 857.2375MHz

You can also scan "Wide Area" talk groups from the Worcester County EDACS System without any changes because their system didn't require rebanding.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I hope you got this to the database admins, edacstech. Thanks very much for this info.

73s Mike

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious. Was this a true rebanding, or a frequency swap of some kind, i.e. like AACo did with Nextel? I noticed that only the 860.**** frequencies were changed. I thought rebanding was moving entire systems to new PS bands (i.e. 700mhz)

CA
Annapolis

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thanks EDACSTECH, that's a great link. Curiously, MA/COM calls the process "800Mhz Reconfiguring", rather than rebanding.

CA
Annapolis

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And just to emphasize the point, since there seems to be a lot of confusion out there on this - the 700 Mhz migration has nothing to do at all with the 800 Mhz rebanding/reconfiguration. They are 2 very different initiatives, both designed to improve PS communications, but doing it in a very different manner. 73s Mike

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification, ka3. Are all PS operations going to be eventually migrated to the new PS 700Mhz band? I was wondering about interoperation in the Metro DC area when PG goes to 700 and practically all the other area jurisdictions are in the 800 band. But I guess since the XTS 5000 radios are dual band (700/800) capable, it's just a matter of programming radios with the proper frequency sets so they can operate across jurisdictions.

CA
Annapolis

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That is the eventual course of events, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Part of this was supposed to be predicated on TV stations leaving that band in favor of HDTV (and a certain percentage of households in a market have HDTV capable equipment) - but that was proposed several years ago, and it simply has not happened (I think the original deadline was 2004, wasn't it?). Now evidently the FCC has relaxed these restrictions.

re the use of 700 Mhz in PG county (actually, it is the Council of Governments (COG), not just PG county) I would refer you to the PG county thread. It's just a little OT here...73s Mike

Last edited:

pinetree

I can confirm the Ocean City Rebanded Configuration as posted by EDACSTECH. I was in OC today and the old set up does not have a conrtol ch. present. The new setup works great I could copy everything from north of Rehoboth Beach on a Pro-97. I had both systems in the scanner. Thanks EDACSTECH.

jparks29

John McClane
EDACS really isnt rebanding per se, it's as simple as changing the LCN.......on most radios...

motorola radio's OTOH, rely on a lookup table, and "channel DFE0" translates to 86x.xxxx Mhz

under the rebanding plan, "channel DFEA" would translate to 85x.xxxx

so moto radios have to be reflashed....

i'm using extreme generalizations, so you could understand the differences between moto rebanding, and ericsson rebanding.....after dealing with moto for half of my life, I'm beginning to see the wonders of the Ericsson/com-net/ge/ma-com/tyco way of doing things....there are other issues such as narrowband vs. wideband...but thats a topic for another day...

Last edited:

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Alright, I'm no tech-head (meant as a compliment to those that are so blessed) when it comes to the intricacies and knowledge of trunking.
Is the long and short of this change:
1. Change the trunked frequencies in my scanner for OC to the new ones
2. Leave the talkgroup programming alone
and scanning life in OC will be the same to the listener?
Thanx

PS--took several years to obtain the initial "correct" info in the pre-Radio Reference days, don't wanna lose it now.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I'll bet it's big on the system side,
How in the world did you keep everything up with the prior configuration including all of the radios spread all over creation and then on a moment's notice have them all load up the new frequencies? All software driven?

EDACSTECH

bwhite said:
I'll bet it's big on the system side,
How in the world did you keep everything up with the prior configuration including all of the radios spread all over creation and then on a moment's notice have them all load up the new frequencies? All software driven?
Ocean City has a hot standby system, used for emergency backup or scheduled maintenance. One system was changed while all radios were operating on the other. Dual programming with old and new configurations were programmed in all radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.